Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phase 7 Situation

Options
  • 07-05-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I have recently completed my phase 6 electrical, but i am now in a bit of a situation. My status with FÁS is redundant. I am finding it difficult to get work even for the 12 week term of phase 7.

My girlfriend and I are now due to fly out to Australia in 5 weeks time.

My question is does anyone know if i could get signed off by an Australian company?

Thanks in advance

John

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

JohnK86 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have recently completed my phase 6 electrical, but i am now in a bit of a situation. My status with FÁS is redundant. I am finding it difficult to get work even for the 12 week term of phase 7.

My girlfriend and I are now due to fly out to Australia in 5 weeks time.

My question is does anyone know if i could get signed off by an Australian company?

Thanks in advance

John
    You will to check with Fás, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

No mate you cant not a hope i am afraid i have the 7 phases done and had work in canada lined up to make my 4 years but they said no. also be warned even if you finish phase 7 you could still not be qualified like the situation i am in now. you have to have 7 phases and 208 weeks to get the trade cert i have the 7 phases but am short 14 weeks now. and if you find your self like me your ****ed. ya will have to wait another 6-8 months to do a cdm test where the fail rate is like 60% i wish you all the best.

i have my test coming up soon if it does not go my way. i am going canada i dont want to go unquailifed but there has to be more to life then sitting on the dole waiting for this test which only tests on one aspect of the trade commercial.. i think its a stupid test that expects apprentices to be able to price and test a job sure electricians have to a testing course to be able to do that on site.when i asked fas if i could do the testing course in balldoyle to help me in the exam they told me i needed to be qualified so that just makes no sense that they are testing us on it also what about if the apprentice has served his time at maintenance or with the esb. just because the esb apprentices have the 4 years they get there certs but because i am short 14 weeks i still have to do this test.
    Sorry about the rant but i just hate fas. my advice to you is do your 12 weeks for phase 7 go to oz and come back when you get called for the CDM test.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnK86

Calgary22 wrote: »
    No mate you cant not a hope i am afraid i have the 7 phases done and had work in canada lined up to make my 4 years but they said no. also be warned even if you finish phase 7 you could still not be qualified like the situation i am in now. you have to have 7 phases and 208 weeks to get the trade cert i have the 7 phases but am short 14 weeks now. and if you find your self like me your ****ed. ya will have to wait another 6-8 months to do a cdm test where the fail rate is like 60% i wish you all the best.

i have my test coming up soon if it does not go my way. i am going canada i dont want to go unquailifed but there has to be more to life then sitting on the dole waiting for this test.. i think its a stupid test that expects apprentices to be able to price and test a job sure electricians have to a testing course to be able to do that on site.when i asked fas if i could do the testing course in balldoyle to help me in the exam they told me i needed to be qualified so that just makes no sense that they are testing us on it also what about if the apprentice has served his time at maintenance or with the esb. just because the esb apprentices have the 4 years they get there certs but because i am short 14 weeks i still have to do this test.
    Sorry about the rant but i just hate fas. my advice to you is do your 12 weeks for phase 7 go to oz and come back when you get called for the CDM test.

I understand what your saying, I don't have to worry about the 208 weeks because i have over 320. This is because i failed my phase 4 electrical science exam and put it off for nearly 2 and a half years as i was busy working as an electrician and a CNC operator. I only went back to do it when i got let go from work. Since then I went on and finished my phase 6.

I don't have any intention on sparking in Oz but i just would like to finish out my time.

ah i get what ya are saying mate if i was you i would put oz on hold so and get someone to take ya on for 12 weeks fas will pay your wages and no1 will turn down free labour and its only for 12 weeks and then you can go to oz and start an new chapter in your life noing that your trade cert is sorted should you wish to return to the sparking game:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

find a company that will take you on,see who has maintenance jobs chloride Ireland used too I don't know if they are still around any manufacturing company that has machines should have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Get onto to your training advisor and tell them you want to do Raps(redundant apprentice placement scheme).They should be trying to sort this for you anyway if they know your are redundant but it'll do no harm to hassle them over it.That scheme got me over the finishing line when I found myself out of work after phase 4 but I had to hassle them to get on it,sent a letter to my local TD at the time because I was getting nowhere and he sorted it for me by contacting FAS on my behalf.

info here :-http://www.fas.ie/en/Training/Apprenticeships/Assistance+for+Redundant+Apprentices.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

what part of the country are you ased in john86

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Check out post 19 from wintergreen
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056752279&page=2
    Not that easy to do but it is possible.

what part of the country are you ased in john86

I'm in Kilkenny.

frankmul wrote: »
    Check out post 19 from wintergreen
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056752279&page=2
    Not that easy to do but it is possible.

Thank you, I'll be looking into that :D

• Advertisement

You have to have your 7 phases done before you can apply for that. and since they have the raps scheme in place to get the 7 phases done they will just offer this. the RPL is for apprentices that have there 7 phases done that are still short 6 months or under that worked for a substantial time in Ireland or abroad that can prove it via payslips or prsi payments.

You have to have your 7 phases done before you can apply for that. and since they have the raps scheme in place to get the 7 phases done they will just offer this. the RPL is for apprentices that have there 7 phases done that are still short 6 months or under that worked for a substantial time in Ireland or abroad that can prove it via payslips or prsi payments.

Just read over it again and seen that :(

Sorry about the confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

i have my test coming up soon if it does not go my way. i am going canada i dont want to go unquailifed but there has to be more to life then sitting on the dole waiting for this test which only tests on one aspect of the trade commercial.. i think its a stupid test that expects apprentices to be able to price and test a job sure electricians have to a testing course to be able to do that on site.when i asked fas if i could do the testing course in balldoyle to help me in the exam they told me i needed to be qualified so that just makes no sense that they are testing us on it also what about if the apprentice has served his time at maintenance or with the esb. just because the esb apprentices have the 4 years they get there certs but because i am short 14 weeks i still have to do this test.

If you've 7 phases done why cant you go on the RAPS to finish out your weeks? I know its not what the scheme was designed for but like why do they make ye do an exam? Seems unfair to make you do an exam that none of the apprentices who got their 208 weeks had to do.

Good luck with it anyways man. I'm only in phase 2 and worrying myself reading about how stupid fas can be haha

Fas are joke that's why mate I hate them so much when I get my trade cert I will never want anything to do with them again. I offered to work for free or try and keep my dole and work all were refused if I had been allowed to i would have been have been done months ago. A sure I don't no mate I am sick of dealing with them and the system for that matter there a joke compared to the Canada apprenticeship system and the way they treat us skilled redundant apprentices Is disgraceful. And we won't even start with the great teeu apprentice Union

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

...I offered to work for free...

Do you mean FAS wouldn't accept you working for a company for nothing just to finish your time? How do they know what rate you are on?

That's what I taught but when I suggested it to them they said we won't/can't allow that. Amd kept pumping this supid test and when i highlighted the bit about testing and how it didnt make sense she said to me wonder will you be so smart when your doing the test i was like :O And tbh I can't afford to pay someone to put me on the books if I could afford it I would but I can't. I no I am bitching but its just soo friggen annoying that I will be judged on an commercial job in this test when there's do much more to our trade . I think we should be allowed to a job bridge thing style phase 7 and allow us to work till we reach the 208weeks while still getting our dole it would make more sense but if course fas would not allow that:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

That's what I taught but when I suggested it to them they said we won't/can't allow that. Amd kept pumping this supid test and when i highlighted the bit about testing and how it didnt make sense she said to me wonder will you be so smart when your doing the test i was like :O And tbh I can't afford to pay someone to put me on the books if I could afford it I would but I can't. I no I am bitching but its just soo friggen annoying that I will be judged on an commercial job in this test when there's do much more to our trade . I think we should be allowed to a job bridge thing style phase 7 and allow us to work till we reach the 208weeks while still getting our dole it would make more sense but if course fas would not allow that:-(

I feel your pain. I can't believe they wouldn't allow that though. I completed my phase 5 on a 2nd year rate (I was a 3rd year). I never mentioned it to FAS but my advisor at the time knew all about it, and indirectly recommended it. There was never a section where I put down what I was earning, even on the change of employer form.

I think once you complete you phases and you are within about 3 or 4 months of the 208 weeks, you should be granted your cert. How much more are you going to learn in those remaining weeks since you never really stop learning with this trade anyway? (I'm starting to rant now too aren't I!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

You won't get a cert unless you've 208 weeks showing on their computer.

I was less than 3 months short when I finished my Phase 7 but they were having none of it. I got a job in the end and got over then line.

None of that matters to the OP though,he has the weeks,just not the Phase 7.

The RAPS scheme is the only way to go if you can't find work. I got Phase 5 and 7 on RAPS with the same employer and then he took me on for the remainder of the weeks I was short for.

This is not the answer that the op wanted but this is a question asked in the dail a few weeks ago.
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2013-04-23a.459

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your input. My FÁS adviser is in the middle of arranging something for my 12 weeks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

JohnK86 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your input. My FÁS adviser is in the middle of arranging something for my 12 weeks.

Great news.

frankmul wrote: »
    This is not the answer that the op wanted but this is a question asked in the dail a few weeks ago.
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2013-04-23a.459

Sadly this does not apply to the electrical trade as the cdm test is in place for this:rolleyes: the RPL only covers trades such as tileing,painting and other trades not covered by cdm testing:pac:

Congrats John Great news:D

Advertisement