Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Connection Problems

Options
  • 07-05-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I am wondering is anyone can help me. I am not very well up on technology, so apologies if I misuse some terms. I have a laptop, iPad, iphone all connected to my UPC broadband wireless router. My son also has his laptop working on the wireless router, no problems with that. The iPad and iphone also work fine, no issues. My laptop had been working fine for about 18 months but in the last few months it has started to lose it's wireless connection when it's not in use. For example if I am working on the internet for a morning, it will work fine. If it goes into sleep mode if I have to leave the laptop, the connection will be lost and I have to go to my network connection and disable and re-enable it. Sometimes if it troubleshoots the problem, it will say that it has now re-established the IP address. I have googled this and the recommendation seems to be to give it a fixed IP address, but when I have tried to do this, it says the IP address is already assigned. I made the mistake of ringing UPC about this and they said I would have to speak to whoever I got the laptop from, I have little faith in the staff in Harvey Normans being able to help. Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Right click on computer in start menu>Properties>Device manager. Expand "Network Adaptors">Right click in the wireless one (typically call WLAN, Wireless etc.) and choose properties. Under the "Power Options" tab, maker sure "turn off the adaptor when not in use" is unchecked. If it's not uncheck it and apply the changes. Also make sure the drivers for your wireless card are up to date

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

yoyo wrote: »
    Also make sure the drivers for your wireless card are up to date

Nick

particularily this

on vista and now win 8 the microsoft drivers for wireless suck

always use the drivers from your wifi manufacturer as they tend to work much better than the microsoft drivers from windows update

Advertisement