Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming from an armchair

• 07-05-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Thinking of moving form console gaming to pc gaming. How easy is it to play shooters like BF3 from my armchair like i do with an xbox seeing as ye really need mouse and keyboards instead of game controllers for pc shooters?

The last time i pc gamed i did it on a desk but this time the pc will have to be connected to my tv in the sitting room. Do i need a big tray to put on my lap or what :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

No way dude! Simple wireless keyboard and wireless mouse and you're away. You will just need some kind of a sturdy mouse mat that won't fall off the armchair.

But honestly PC gaming is so much better then console gaming in all aspects. Also you can't get any of the amazing strategy games you can get for the PC on console.

Good luck with your endevour and have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,711 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Get a long tray or a thin piece of wood and rest it across your lap, with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I used a big bread tray. ( those commercial ones, I splited in half and it is a perfect tray for gaming. ) So when I am in armschair i drop that tray on my lap and i got my mouse and keyboard inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

trying to use a arm chair for PC gaming would drive me insane. have to have a study desk in which to place the keyboard and mousemat/mouse on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

In my experience, it can't be done comfortably and efficiently. You will play worse at competitive games and strain your wrists. Its fine for single player games, then just use an xbox controller instead :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

081499193%20Bean%20Bag%20Lap%20Tray.jpg

or moreso this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Tray and wireless mouse & keyboard it will have to be so. Cramptastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Depends on the armchair, I used to use a wireless mouse + keyboard and put the mouse on the armrest because it was fairly wide. A relatively thick enough mouse pad does the job, too.

I use the couch these days and put the mouse down beside me, much more comfortable for me anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Scruff wrote: »
    seeing as ye really need mouse and keyboards instead of game controllers for pc shooters?
    You don't need the K/M but they're one of the big advantages of using the PC.

It can be done, I've done it. But it's much more comfortable playing FPS at a desk.

I only use the xbox controller for games like assassin's creed or batman where pointing accuracy isn't as important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,115 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As someone who has no choice in the matter (PC is hooked to the TV for good), i have to say it's kinda annoying. I have a console sofe (bit inbetween the 2 sides with drinks holders and a place to put stuff, opens like a chest). It's awkward enough, and makes using wired mice a pain as you need a fairly long cable. And it just doesn't feel properly right. But it is possible, just don't be expecting to do any competitive FPS gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

could try one of those razer gaming pads and a mouse for fps'ing
    razer-nostromo.png
    think the newer one uses mechanical switches (cherry brown)
    314418-razer-orbweaver-angle.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

those are all good options but ye can also just plug in your gamepad from your xbox or ps3 and play most games with that, most of them have pad support and can be easily configured for lazygaming :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

bit pricey and bit bulky but an option nonetheless

http://www.nerdytec.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

more expensive than the razer but cheaper than the 'couchmaster'

is this you'll also won't get RSI and also not look like a fool :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

more expensive than the razer but cheaper than the 'couchmaster'

is this you'll also won't get RSI and also not look like a fool :pac:

lol! i'd look like a fool with it plonked in front of the tv unit in the corner of the sitting room ;) Dont think the missus would like it as an addition to the suite of furniture.

As someone suggested earlier i could move 3ft over to the couch and have more room for the mouse down beside me. methinks this will do seeing as i dont have the time to be hardcore.

I'll never be buying anything razor again. The last two things I got off them, a keyboard and a rat 7 both failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I PC game in the living room with wireless keyboard and mouse on this:

dave-laptop-table__73085_PE189490_S4.jpg

20 quid in Ikea.

Also handy for your dinner :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I use an old bookcase shelf. From a bookcase that dismantled itself spectacularly, but that's another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Scruff wrote: »
    Tray and wireless mouse & keyboard it will have to be so. Cramptastic!

I put a kitchen chair next to the armchair for the mouse, and use the keyboard on my lap. Played CS for a few hours on that on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Skerries wrote: »
    bit pricey and bit bulky but an option nonetheless

http://www.nerdytec.com/

May I say? I FREAKING LOVE THIS THING!!! 130eu though. Something tells me I might buy in in a few weeks time. This thing look great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Wireless KB+M on a plain old coffee table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You could get a Wireless adapter for PC for your Xbox joypad if compatible. Otherwise there's programs like joy2play that'll let you assign keys etc. I prefer using a joypad than KB&M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I put my keyboard on one of these:

http://www.jmldirect.com/uk/housewares/table-mate-white/invt/t01tm1010t000001/

And my mouse just works fine on the chair arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

jaykhunter wrote: »
    You could get a Wireless adapter for PC for your Xbox joypad if compatible. Otherwise there's programs like joy2play that'll let you assign keys etc. I prefer using a joypad than KB&M.

I would do the same but for some games that just isn't viable. Try playing Counter-Strike:GO with a joypad and see how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I do the same, PC is in sitting room but even if it wasn't I'm happy in my joypad world. Only difference is I use x-padder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but can anyone tell me how much I would have to spend on a gaming pc to be on at least a par with a ps3. Take into account the option to upgrade too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

King Krib wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking your thread, but can anyone tell me how much I would have to spend on a gaming pc to be on at least a par with a ps3. Take into account the option to upgrade too.
    Can't really give you a straight forward answer as its not that simple. On par is cheaper than having it upgradeable and on par. You should definitely start a new thread and fill in the template if you want the best feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

koHd wrote: »
    I PC game in the living room with wireless keyboard and mouse on this:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/images/products/dave-laptop-table__73085_PE189490_S4.jpg

20 quid in Ikea.

Also handy for your dinner :pac:

Have the same with keyboard on lap.
    IMG_20130516_173311_zps794a1400.jpg

• Advertisement

King Krib wrote: »
    All PCs are upgradable, the only thing you really need to look out for is the motherboard. They can take a certain range of CPUs so if you're buying an i5 now check the motherboard doesn't end support at your chip and will be able to take i7s down the road.

Advertisement