Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Hike/Camp

Options
  • 07-05-2013 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm considering a weekend hike/camp if the weather is nice this weekend. First idea is to head to Glencullen from Dublin on the 44B bus, then head along the start of the Wicklow way for a bit and set up camp to 2 nights.

I have not hiked the Wicklow Way before so I am asking is there enough forest to branch off into the forest after 2 hours of hiking and be away from everyone to set up camp? I am fit for hiking

I am trying to use public transport and hopefully find a spot I can regularly use. If anyone can suggest an alternative starting point, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Hate to be a little negative but this sort of camping trip tends to cause more environmental damage and hassle. Camping is officially not permitted in Coillte plantations or the National Park lands. There's a case to be made for backpacking where you just stop for a few hours overnight, leave no evidence and move on next morning. When you pack up and look back, there should be no clue that you've been there except for a bit of grass flattening maybe. Stay longer and inevitably you'll leave more damage behind. If you want to stay a couple of days, then maybe better to look for private land and ask for permission to camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jester`

Thanks for your point, and I completely agree.

I intend to camp somewhere for 2 nights and leave no trace. This is my intention, and how I practice. I am simply unfamiliar with the first stage of the Wicklow Way.

Advertisement