Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems with live Tv on WMC 7

• 07-05-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    Last Autumn I finally cut the cord and left Sky (yay!), I built my own HTPC and all was well. I have 2 Tbs cards in the PC the 6981( I think!) for dual S2 and 6280 for dual T2 transmissions. I was receiving all Saorview and Freesat channels perfectly, Media Center was working perfectly.
    Then around christmas I started having problems with the live TV - specifically, I lost all the freesat HD channels, BBc HD and BBC2HD, ITV HD Channel 4HD - also I've lost 5 and Tiny pop and its +1(so smallies not happy either). All of my Saorview channels are fine though.
    I have Windows 7 Ultimate with all its updates, checked my drivers, disabled WMC, deleted guide data and reinstalled and reconfigured the tv settings in WMC. I'm using the shark codec pack (now uninstalled) for another failed reset.
    I have trawled through the web looking for someone with a solution but no dice.
    I'm fairly sure its not a hardware issue - but I am open to any suggestions.
    When I first built the HTPC I tried to install Media Portal but found it too complicated to tweak and was afraid that the wife acceptance levels would be quite low unless it was dead simple. I've looked at the new XBMC but I'm not sure about the live TV side of that yet - theres been a fair few reviews about how slow changing channels can be - I may stand corrected though.
    Please anyone - any ideas???
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Hi there
    Have you any way to check your satellite cable? If you still have the sky box you might be able to check if the affected channels can be tuned in. I had a problem before where a damaged cable meant that certain channels could not be received.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 corkhob

Hey Tipperary, thanks for the suggestion, I've a freeview box in the bedroom, I'll bring it down and check it out over the next few days, hadn't thought about the cable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Wheeker

I would bet it's the Satellite frequencies changing. Unfortunately W7 MC does not automatically re-scan for channels when their frequencies change. The first option is to do a new TV Set-up with a full scan of all transponders & see what it brings-up, though this will reset your guide listings.

Or have a look at http://en.kingofsat.net/ & enter the channel you're missing in the search window in the top right e.g. BBC One HD. (From memory) go to TV Signal Set-up-> Scan single transponder & input

Frequency: 10847
    Symbol Rate: 23000
    Polarization: V

Then scan & see what it brings-up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I generally run the scan twice also, so some reason It finds channels the second and sometimes third time also.

Also, if you don't use it already, Guidetool is invaluable for re-ordering channels.

I also had to replace my original sky LNB (upgraded to a quad while I was at it)as I was losing channels and re-aliging the lnb and dish didn't help. I also had water ingress in my cable due to the fact the sky cable was really badly installed and just went up over the roof and down the front of the house. I replaced and re-ran the cables into the attic and this solved loads of issues I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

corkhob wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Last Autumn I finally cut the cord and left Sky (yay!), I built my own HTPC and all was well. I have 2 Tbs cards in the PC the 6981( I think!) for dual S2 and 6280 for dual T2 transmissions. I was receiving all Saorview and Freesat channels perfectly, Media Center was working perfectly.
    Then around christmas I started having problems with the live TV - specifically, I lost all the freesat HD channels, BBc HD and BBC2HD, ITV HD Channel 4HD - also I've lost 5 and Tiny pop and its +1(so smallies not happy either). All of my Saorview channels are fine though.
    I have Windows 7 Ultimate with all its updates, checked my drivers, disabled WMC, deleted guide data and reinstalled and reconfigured the tv settings in WMC. I'm using the shark codec pack (now uninstalled) for another failed reset.
    I have trawled through the web looking for someone with a solution but no dice.
    I'm fairly sure its not a hardware issue - but I am open to any suggestions.
    When I first built the HTPC I tried to install Media Portal but found it too complicated to tweak and was afraid that the wife acceptance levels would be quite low unless it was dead simple. I've looked at the new XBMC but I'm not sure about the live TV side of that yet - theres been a fair few reviews about how slow changing channels can be - I may stand corrected though.
    Please anyone - any ideas???
    John

My Missus found Mediaportal better than WMC.

Mainly because the EPG in Mediaportal was much easier to update (Over the Air)

• Advertisement
Advertisement