Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To start my own business or not...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

OP closed their account!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Hi Ellie,

Here's my tuppence worth.

Go for it. If you're a student, you've nothing to lose.

My advice is to either get in contact with one of the business networks e.g. in Waterford you have the Waterford Micro Business Network and maybe offer one company your time for free to show them what you can do. If you give them 20 hours free & it's working, they'll surely keep you on for a few hours per week. Business owners also talk so make sure you ask the business to 'whore' you out to their friends.

Retainer is the way to go i.e. you give a business 5 hours per week for a set fee each week. If you can target and get 5 or 6 businesses on a retainer you've a decent wage for the summer.

What I would say is that you need to offer more than just social media marketing. You need to offer them advice on all their marketing efforts i.e. find out what they're doing marketing wise at present and give them advice on monitoring it & changing what's not working/what should be working better. Would it be possible to add email marketing to their social media marketing? - Mail Chimp makes it very easy to do so you just need to get the database of customers.

People are criticising Ray Palmer here and in fairness to him he is making some good points. A lot of small business owners who don't have a social media presence will come from the same demographic as Ray. You need to be able to convince him why he needs a facebook page. Not all businesses need a social media presence.

Also, you're competing with jobbridge. A small business owner could get a jobbridge in for free to do a similar job for 40 hours per week for what you're charging for and only doing 10 hours. Thank the government for that!

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement