Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€500 budget, stock a gamesroom with that!

• 07-05-2013 5:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A challenge for the bargain hunters out there, in light of a numpty selling a 3DS:XL ambassador console for that sum.

Can anyone tell me what can be bought in for that total, rather than blowing it all on a current gen machine for the purpose, in that ad anyway, of playing emulated retro games?

I'm not talking about spending it on one machine, but many and with games.

Use Adverts, Ebay or charidy shops for inspiration!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

So we do all the hard work and you reap in all the benefits, I like it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Megadrive and Mega CD - 70
    Snes - 50
    Nes - 50
    Dreamcast - 40
    Saturn - 40
    Gamecube - 40
    PC Engine - 50
    Neo Geo AES - 140
    Original Gameboy - 20

Total - same price as an ambassador 3DS apparently!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But, you'd have no games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's a great idea. Got me thinking now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

A PS2 for about 20 or 30quid, and then blow the rest on PS2 titles for about 2/3quid a pop. That should keep you going till about foever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Saturn/PS2/Dreamcast/CD32 and a butt load of CD-Rs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But, you'd have no games!

If your mixing games into the loop, then €500 will evaporate very quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Saturn, Multimega, Gamegear, PS2, DS, PSP and the entire Shining game catalogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Ignoring the CDR route...

PS2 w/ Ico, SOTC, FF7,9+10, Rollcage, MGS 1,2+3
    Dreamcast w/ Shenmue 1+2, JSR, MSR, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Calibur
    SNES w/ Super Mario Allstars+World, F-Zero, Zelda LTTP, Super Metroid
    Gamecube w/ Zelda Windwaker+Collection, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime
    GBA w/ Golden Sun 1+2, Metroid Zero Mission, Fire Emblem

Reckon you could get all of the above for about 500 quid if you took your time and went the cart only route for SNES and GBA....!

Master of the Universe

Sega Saturn with Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga and Cho Aniki. All a man needs. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sega Saturn with Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga and Cho Aniki. All a man needs. :D

Well, all a certain kinda man needs at least.....

If I had the €500 I'd pick up the following
    €50 for a 29" Trinitron
    €30 for an MD
    €30 for a Snes
    €40 for a PS2
    €40 for a Saturn
    €50 for a DC
    so that leaves a balance of €260 for games!

Hmm....
    Usual suspects for the MD, should get the likes of Sonic 1&2, Thunderforce 3 and 4, Road Rash 2 for less than €50.
    Snes, Super Mario Allstars with SMW, SSFII, Super Ghouls and Ghost, probably run around €60.
    DC, pick up a couple for this, Crazy Taxi for you sick Offspring fans, maybe MSR, Jet Set Radio... get them for around €25 all in.
    Saturn, well, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Daytona, Sega Rally, VF2, Virtua Cop 2, Exhumed, €80
    Leaving €45 to blow on a ton of cheap games for the PS and PS2, I'd start with just a couple, Raiden Project, NFS Road Challenge, Ico and Rez, maybe Gradius V if I could find a cheap copy!

So, that's €500 well spent, certainly a lot better stuff there than if you were dumb enough to spend it on an Ambassador 3DS:XL!
    And I'm even including a great CRT to play them on!

Obviously this is for PAL stuff, sorry.
    Thing is, pick up RGB cables, and mod the consoles as you go, replacing the games where appropriate and you'll be fine, oh fictional newbie retrogamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

N64
    Mario 64
    The rest of the money on booze and big tv.

Master of the Universe

Retropolis wrote: »
    N64
    Mario 64
    The rest of the money on booze and big tv.

I'd rather the 500 euro 3DS :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Amga 1200, SWOS, Monkey Island series, Kick Off 2, Wings, Indy Jones and Fate of Atlantic (plus other point and clicks like Day of the Tentacle), Cannon Fodder and 20 other classic Amiga titles like Alien Breed, Chaos Engine, Banshee, Anothet World, plus a couple of Python joysticks and a second floppy drive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Amga 1200, SWOS, Monkey Island series, Kick Off 2, Wings, Indy Jones and Fate of Atlantic (plus other point and clicks like Day of the Tentacle), Cannon Fodder and 20 other classic Amiga titles like Alien Breed, Chaos Engine, Banshee, Anothet World, plus a couple of Python joysticks and a second floppy drive.

Now there's a person with impeccable taste! Of the great games mentioned above I especially got addicted to Wings, loved that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Now there's a person with impeccable taste! Of the great games mentioned above I especially got addicted to Wings, loved that game.

Great game. Used to play that and SWOS all evening when I was supposed to be studying for leaving cert in 5th and 6th year.

One of the very few games I ever completed, numerous times without being killed. Then one day one of the floppy disks got corrupted or something and none if my mates had it anymore.

I used to shoot my fellow pilots so they'd be more easily shot down by the Hun and I'd get all the german kills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've decided to try and do this over the summer, since my not drinking gives me so much disposable income :pac:

I already have a GBA, and I won't bother with anything sega related. I'm thinking a cheap gamecube or the wii that plays gamecube, Snes, N64, and a ton of games.

Master of the Universe

cloud493 wrote: »
    and I won't bother with anything sega related..

You'll be missing out on some of the best stuff so :p

Ditch the N64 and get yourself a Megadrive. Countless more great games and lots of them are cheap cheap cheap.

I already have a GBA, and I won't bother with anything sega related. I'm thinking a cheap gamecube or the wii that plays gamecube, Snes, N64, and a ton of games.

Sacrificing Sega for an N64? Emmm, no :)

• Advertisement

Well I've played most of what constitutes 'good' Sega, thought it was cack. And I've already got a lot of n64 bits lying round.

Well I've played most of what constitutes 'good' Sega, thought it was cack. And I've already got a lot of n64 bits lying round.

Its all down to personal taste of course, but the general consensus would probably admit that the N64 would give its right controller ports for what most would call average Sega titles. Mario 64. OoT & MM notwithstanding :o

Master of the Universe

Gunstar Heroes? Alien Soldier? Comix Zone? Musha? Pulseman? Ranger X? The Story of Thor? Phantasy Star IV? Alisia Dragoon? Ristar? Rocket Knight Adventues? X Men Clone Wars? Contra Hard Corp? I could go on and on.

Or is your 'cack' comment based on playing things like Golden Axe, Columns and Super Thunder Blade?

The Megadrive has a list of incredible games most people aren't familar with.

If you have played that above list of games and still think theyre cack then maybe videogames just arent for you :P

I've decided to try and do this over the summer, since my not drinking gives me so much disposable income :pac:

To be honest, the best hardware start might be a Snes, Megadrive, Wii and a Ps2, thereby ensuring you have 6 systems game library's to choose from.
    That lot should cost no more than 140 to buy right now.
    Ignore the MD at your peril, even if the Saturn and DC passed you by, and you wouldn't be alone, the Megadrive is host to many great and inexpensive games.
    The Snes is the same.
    The Wii and PS2 open up the Wii, GC, PS and PS2 libraries as well.
    The N64 is a grand machine but decent games are relatively few and the prices are starting to escalate as well. I'd get one but it wouldn't be a first port of call.

Sure, let us know how you get on with it.

Well I have

Pokemon stadium 1 and 2
    Pokemon snap
    Hey you pikachu
    Banjo kazzoie
    Majoras mask
    Mario kart

Good place to start. And I think I already have a ps2 here somewhere. Pick up a Wii for 50 with GameCube capability, laughing. I had one of those Wii V2's that didn't play GameCube stuff :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    Gunstar Heroes? Alien Soldier? Comix Zone? Musha? Pulseman? Ranger X? The Story of Thor? Phantasy Star IV? Alisia Dragoon? Ristar? Rocket Knight Adventues? X Men Clone Wars? Contra Hard Corp? I could go on and on.

Or is your 'cack' comment based on playing things like Golden Axe, Columns and Super Thunder Blade?

The Megadrive has a list of incredible games most people aren't familar with.

If you have played that above list of games and still think theyre cack then maybe videogames just arent for you :P

You forgot Streets of Rage 1!

Dunno know if its been mentioned but scouring the interweb for nicely priced console games bundles would be a quick and cheaper than solo buying. Also if you end up with a few doubles no harm trading here or elsewhere for other stuff. Or even , god forbid, selling the doubles at a nice price.
    I've a very limited budget but that has helped me grow my collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

getting games free helps too ;) (last time I mention it, I swear)

getting games free helps too ;) (last time I mention it, I swear)

Sure if thats the case just use emulators & drink the €500 :P

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Sure if thats the case just use emulators & drink the €500 :P

I get free games every once in a while from people whose moniker isn't always apt.

But this drinking €500, is that the new idea for Xmas beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

I'd sell you two nes prototypes and a big box arkanoid with controller?

Ha ha.

Buy 2 or three consoles and get everdrives for each.

Advertisement