Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Beginner

Options
  • 07-05-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I started running last year. My personal best 10km is 56 mins. I'm 6ft4 16st7

How can I improve my time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

Dwight34 wrote: »
    I started running last year. My personal best 10km is 56 mins. I'm 6ft4 16st7

How can I improve my time?

Losing some weight will be a big one. I recently lost a couple of kilos and immediately noticed a significant improvement in my running times.

Aside from that, just keep running. If you're just running then I'd do 5 runs per week. One long run, one interval session (great for increasing speed also), one or two tempo runs, a recovery/slow run and perhaps some hills or something a bit different.

Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

4 seconds a kilo a km.....

(diminished returns when lean, athletic lean not general population lean)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

tunney wrote: »
    4 seconds a kilo a km

That much?
    Wow, I knew it was a good bit but didn't realise just how much.
    Do you know where that number comes from?
    Are there similar figures for cycling?
    I'm dropping weight rather easily lately for some reason and PB-ing all over the place!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

enzeder wrote: »
    That much?
    Wow, I knew it was a good bit but didn't realise just how much.
    Yes. As a former 68kg person who is now 82 I testify to the impact of weight. If I ever stop training for the Haribo olympics I'd expect weight related gains to about 74kg
    Do you know where that number comes from?

I'm not going looking for the citations but you can trust me on this one.
    Are there similar figures for cycling?

Only really valid ones are for climbing (note no real climbs in Ireland) and they are expressed in terms of watts per kilo. If you don't have a power meter and understand power its a bit pointless going any further. When I was 65kg and on a training camp in Italy I climbed like a demon (or is it angel), at 83kg I get dropped by crippled dwarfs. So in short fat==slow
    I'm dropping weight rather easily lately for some reason and PB-ing all over the place!
    Cheers

There you go - now you have your reason!

Advertisement