Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two xtravisions to close in dublin 15

Options
  • 07-05-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭

It looks like both the Ongar and carpenterstown shops are to close with jobs losses

Extract taken from Rte full details at http://m.rte.ie/news/touch/business/2013/0507/390889-xtravision-store-closure/
    Nine stores in the Republic of Ireland are expected to close, while 11 will be closed in Northern Ireland.

The Xtra-vision stores to close in the Republic will be in Ongar, Carpenterstown, Rathmines, Baggot St, The Square in Tallaght, two stores in Swords and one Phisborough, Dublin.

At least the blanchardstown shop will remain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Unfortunately illegal downloading has overtaken the need to get ripped off by the likes of xtravision

Hadn't rented from the carpenterstown outlet for 4 or 5 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

I rented a few movies from the Ongar branch last night and was the only customer in the shop at the time (8ish). Very sad to see it go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

netfix has killed video stores,newspapers will be gone soon,any music stores,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I'm sad for the people losing their jobs but dont care about the stores that were charging extortionate prices going at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Apparently, it is areas with excellent broadband speeds that Xtravision suffered most (urban areas like D15) as downloads could be done in minutes and that more rural outlets were still trading successfully due to poorer broadband which is why they were not affected. I have to admit I haven't rented a film in the Ongar store in about 5 years. Still sad to see it go as an empty unit is unsightly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Don't think I've rented a movie since they were on VHS tape! *
    We'd tend to buy dvds of older movies rather than rent newer ones. (spot the person who doesn't have much interest in movies!)

Might be a slight exggeration, but it was a long time ago anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Great pic n mix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

It's a bit of a shame, I had my first part time job many moons ago in Xtra-Vision :o so sad to see it go. I always thought the guy who was the manager there in Ongar was a very nice chap to deal with. Hope all the staff get sorted regarding redundancy and find other jobs.

I thought for a while that XV would succeed as they seemed decent at trying to retool themselves for the new world order of internet entertainment, and I thought with HMV gone that they would have had a good opportunity there to maybe grow a bit more in that segment but alas it seems it was not to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Unfortunately illegal downloading has overtaken the need to get ripped off by the likes of xtravision

Blaming illegal downloading is a cop out I think, I haven't been in a rental store in probably 10 years, and I don't illegally download movies or music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well, HMV were selling tonnes of DVDs for the last 6/7 years that were cheaper than renting a movie. They are avail just as cheap from the likes of Amazon. If anything, I'd say that'd contribute more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

When its cheaper to buy a movie than rent I think your business is busted.

I got fed upwith the amount of scratched disks from Xtravision. But its a pity to see it go. A lot of people grew up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My two local stores, Sandymount and Baggot Street, are closing. I guess trendy young professionals like me:p living in central Dublin districts are quickest to catch on with downloading etc., making XV redundant for them. Oddly, this is one area where provincial towns (bar Roscrea) will be better served than many parts of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

T'internet has killed video stores
    FYP.

.....more importantly the rapid improvement in speeds available, particularly in urban areas, has killed video stores.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is disillusioned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

dodzy wrote: »
    FYP.

.....more importantly the rapid improvement in speeds available, particularly in urban areas, has killed video stores.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is disillusioned.

Not when looking into the options for a consumer who wants to pay for stuff.

Advertisement