Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic guidance please!

• 07-05-2013 6:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Looking for a little help deciding which direction to go now that I've finally dumped Sky. I've been using my PS3 as a media player up to now, with the media coming from PS3 Media Server running on a HP N40L under the stairs. I use the server for other stuff and the house has Cat 6, so I'm happy with that setup.

It's not pretty though, and it's loud, so I don't want it in the living room. I also hate the proprietary nature of the PS3, and PS3 Media Server is too fiddly and won't play quite a lot of content I've acquired, so it's time for a change. I've just installed Plex on the HP and love it, so I think that or XBMC might be the way forward, however I'm not sure what hardware to buy, and I don't like seeing that satellite dish outside go to waste.

So can I get a little advice on what hardware would be best for making use of the satellite dish, and running the likes of Plex or XBMC - albeit without the need for big storage - plus of course the ability to play BD, DVD, CD, USB, etc? I came across Streacom hardware recently and like the look of it, would that be a good way to go? How about Saorview, should I be considering that? I don't current have an antennae on the roof. And am I missing anything else?

Any help ye can give me would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Lots of us have a vu+ duo, does pretty much anything you want bar disc playing, and highly customisable, streaming to all manner of devices, built in media player, plays mkv's etc, there are higher and lower end vu+ models to check out, with a massive community that make plugins etc, vix image recently updated with a suburb onlineDemad plugin, with bbc iPlayer/tv3/rteplayer etc ! worth checking out if you have a satellite handy

200 page thread here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Thanks but I need disc play for young uns, so they can just fire a disc in and go. Not sure if Plex supports that out of the box, but I'm guessing it can be scripted.

Does Plex do PVR though? Didn't think to check that, must have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bluray players might be what you are looking for, disk pay and internet connection and services. Though I would perhaps just stick a cheap DVD player there for the younger kids. its just easier.

rovoagho wrote: »
    I came across Streacom hardware recently and like the look of it, would that be a good way to go?

I think Streacom only make cases. And yes they make some lovely looking ones. They get pretty expensive though.

If you want to build a HTPC around a Streacom case, that would be relatively easy. You would just need to pick the case and decide the budget for the rest of your build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Maybe an Arctic machine would do the job?

Available here for about 175 including delivery

I've only had a quick look so you might find it cheaper elsewhere.
    I picked up on a couple of months ago (lots of boardies did) and it's a nice piece of kit. Have it running openelec.

I've got an N40L that I'm using as a media server.
    Have a TBS6891 satellite card in it. Haven't set it up yet but I know a couple of lads who are using that with MythTV as their PVR solution.
    You can get cards that do saorview too.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Bluray players might be what you are looking for, disk pay and internet connection and services.

I already have a BD player in the shape of the PS3, need something I can install the likes of Plex on.
    Though I would perhaps just stick a cheap DVD player there for the younger kids. its just easier.

I actually have one lying idle but unfortunately it won't work in this way, because the surround system I have won't change automatically. That's why I was hoping for something like the Streacom, with a front-load player.
    If you want to build a HTPC around a Streacom case, that would be relatively easy. You would just need to pick the case and decide the budget for the rest of your build.

I can spec out the basics, what I'd really like to tie down is SAT/FTA (and video out for the TV) hardware and compatibility; and compatibility with the media player. Can I install both SAT and FTA cards, for example, and will they be picked up by the likes of Plex, and recordable? What kind of video card is best for a 42" TV? What audio card would work best with a Sony HTAS5? That kind of stuff.
    Remouad wrote: »
    Maybe an Arctic machine would do the job?

I saw that when it cames up on Bargain Alerts and I was sorely tempted, but it doesn't do SAT and I'm not a huge fan of embedded systems. Ideally, I'd like to be able to run the media player on CentOS, or failing that Fedora.
    Have a TBS6891 satellite card in it. Haven't set it up yet but I know a couple of lads who are using that with MythTV as their PVR solution.

I'll check that out thanks. I suspect I might have to go with MythTV for PVR functionality, but I think I'd be disappointed were that the case, Plex is very cool.
    You can get cards that do saorview too.

Know any off the top of your head?

I realise I may be a bit idealistic in this endevour, but there's no harm in aiming for the stars, right? :)

rovoagho wrote: »
    I already have a BD player in the shape of the PS3, need something I can install the likes of Plex on....

You can get plex on BD players. It would be slow though. I think its slow on a PC for that matter. The point of the BD is that is just a fancy DVD so the kids can use it, and it will have more functionality than a DVD. Might support the surround system better. That said I found my BD too slow. I stopped using it for media.

Problem with these systems I have been finding is parental controls. Most seem to be lacking, them completely or be so limited as to be a PITA. Netflix controls are poor. With Plex I'd have to a lot of tagging to get a library where I want it. I don't think it has any parental controls.

Theres also this
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

TBS6891 satellite card ...... +1

They provide Linux drivers so should be relatively easy to get working on whatever distro you decide to use.

I am quite satisfied with the output of mine ..... although I am using it now, not with a dedicated setup like XBMC, but with my preferred distro (PCLinuxOS) and Kaffeine.

Presently I am using a cheap USB dongle for the Saorview channels ..... but might consider a TBS card some time in the future.

I am not big into recording etc and have no need of the bells & whistles like series record etc. ...... so am not the one to ask about those things ;)

Plex has some PVR plugins, you would just need a backend like tvheadend. I don't use Plex so I couldn't be any more specific.

If you were building a PC and you want to put tuners into it, you would just plan ahead to make sure your case and mobo have enough slots.

I wouldn't buy a Bluray player to use as a media player because all the new models have Cinavia built-in.

Plex has some PVR plugins, you would just need a backend like tvheadend. I don't use Plex so I couldn't be any more specific.

If you were building a PC and you want to put tuners into it, you would just plan ahead to make sure your case and mobo have enough slots.

I wouldn't buy a Bluray player to use as a media player because all the new models have Cinavia built-in.

Interesting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia
    The Blu-ray implementation of Cinavia is designed to cover two use-cases: the first is the provision of a Cinavia watermark on all movie theater soundtracks released via film distribution networks; the second use-case is for the provision of a Cinavia watermark on all Blu-ray releases that points to the presence of an accompanying AACS key. If a "theatrical release" watermark is detected in a consumer Blu-ray audio track, the accompanying video is deemed to have been sourced from a "cam" recording. If the "AACS watermark" is present in the audio tracks, but no accompanying and matching AACS key is found on the disc, then it is deemed to have been a "rip" made by copying to a second blank Blu-ray disc.
    As of March 2012 known hardware players which can detect Cinavia watermarks include the PlayStation 3 (began with v3.10 System Software), as well as newer Blu-ray players.

I don't think they make good media players either. Its just if you want a disc player. BD usually have wider support.

• Advertisement

It was actually Cinavia that spurred me into action a few days ago. The minute Sony removed alt OS support from the PS3, they ruined it.

Anyway, perhaps I can frame this better. Say these are my requirements, in order of importance:
    1. Media player that supports video, audio and photos, with excellent format support.
    2. Compatible with Sony HTAS5 surround system.
    3. Can feed off a NAS.
    4. Runs as an app, not an OS. CentOS/Fedora for preference.
    5. Slot-drive BD/DVD/CD.
    6. SAT/FTA/PVR support.
    7. Quiet.
    Given the above, what software will work best? I like Plex but I'm not locked into it yet, is anything else more suitable? Would I be better off with XBMC or MythTV, or something else? I'm guessing XBMC might be more sutiable to someone like me, but can it be set up with the swishiness of Plex?

And what hardware should I start acquiring? The only real requirement I'd have is that the case be horizontal for my TV cabinet (another reason I didn't buy an Arctic). I'm guessing I'll need a mid-level CPU to keep the heat down, but loads of RAM should help with transcoding? Motherboard?

I'm not really familiar with media center outs so I'm not sure if there are specific sound and video cards for the application? Storage isn't an issue, I could run the whole thing off a SSD if necessary (my N40L runs on a Cruzer Fit to save a SATA port for storage).

If that doesn't help, perhaps I'm asking in the wrong place? I assumed everyone in here would be running all sorts of super-duper custom and home-brew kit. :) Is there a more suitable place to ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Hi,
    XBMC ticks all the boxes i think.I have my pc upstairs with xbmc on it with a cheap usb dongle for saorview and a tbs sat card for satellite.I installed dvbviewer recording service on the pc and enabled the dvbviewer plugin in xbmc.I have all the irish and english channels.not alone on this but also in the living room(artic ic there)and the sunroom(Raspberry pi here).Its a great job.
    Essentially you are looking at building a htpc to do all you want.My htpc upstairs has optical and hdmi out to a denon amp,to an optoma projector.
    Have a search over on the pc building forum for htpc builds and see what comes up;)

Advertisement