Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mind Your Step.....

• 07-05-2013 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

MIND YOUR STEP....3 words that I say to my self every time I go into to my back yard. My neighbours cat seems to take great pleasure in having a s**t in my garden. How do I put a stop to it? It's actually out of control at this stage. Are my neighbours responsible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've heard good things about Lion Poo pellets, they can be bought on Amazon. The idea is that it deters cats from coming into your garden. I'm not joking. You could also ask the owners to put a covered litter tray in there garden. Try being tactful even though you're angry. Nicey nicey catchy monkey and all that. I'm a cat owner myself and if any of my neighbours had this issue with my cats I'd be cleaning it up, apologising and sorting out an area in my own garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

What I find weird is that you're able to step on it at all. My cats always bury theirs? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

What I find weird is that you're able to step on it at all. My cats always bury theirs? :confused:

Its always on the grass but the earth below it would be rock solid, hence the non burial I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

That must be super annoying for you. I guess I'm lucky that both my neighbours are very cat friendly, and I think mine know to only do their business in our flowerbeds :P

The pellets may be the best way to go, I've no idea how you'd stop a cat from doing that otherwise :confused:

EDIT: Not saying you're not cat friendly! Rather my neighbours are both previous cat owners themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Ive tried, and paid good money for, the scented gel, pellets and powders to keep cats out of my garden. The scented stuff is designed to work best in dry weather so that pretty much makes them ineffective in my garden anyway, if they ever really worked in the first place for any length of time.
    Ive bought sonic cat repellers and gone to a lot of trouble to get a good one, but the cats simply pause and glance in its direction while going about their buisness. The sound may be slightly irritating to them and maybe they dont spend as long as they would normally do in my garden but it doesn't keep them out.
    Ive shouted at cats, squirted water at them and I think they thought I was playing a game and simply came back.

But
    I have finally found the answer to keeping unwanted cats and unwanted cats activity out of my garden. They have been scared away and they have been staying away for weeks. I like cats, I have a cat, my cat is kept indoors and is let out in our garden on his lead. It isnt only people who do not like cats who have problems with neighbourhood cats. Often and maybe usually that their owners are unaware of the difficulties that can be caused by their cats behaviour when they are out and about.
    The magazine Your Cat has run several articles on the issue http://www.yourcat.co.uk/Neighbourhood-Cat-Campaign/how-can-i-stop-cat-bullies-and-intruders.html
    Earlier this year we ran an online survey to gain a snapshot of our cats’ everyday lives so that we could take a view on neighbourhood issues. The results give us a fascinating insight into the real world of cats but also provide a clear idea of the problems that many of you face.

A large proportion of owners have significant problems with other people’s cats. A third of owners whose cats have freedom to come and go told us they have issues with their neighbours’ pets, in particular with cat fights, intimidation and entering their homes. Around the same amount have had to pay for veterinary treatment for their own cat’s wounds and abscesses caused in battles fought tooth and claw.

The sprinkler cost a bit to buy but no more than I have already been spending on things that didnt work.
    I bought this. It works. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Contech-ScareCrow-Motion-Activated-Deterrent/dp/B005MW9VOM
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvE0e7x9FEQ7viT8EL-had-ozjIztrLGWZ8yjBiPe46YnS8snS3Q

After two weeks I was able to disconnect it from the hose and cats after getting caught once or twice simply dont risk walking anyway near it. They simply dont come into my garden anymore.
    Im careful around it myself after getting caught once so I know how powerful a deterrent it is. I know its switched off but I double check.
    It also keeps large birds like wood pigeons and crows and foxes apparently from the image posted, off the grass, but I can live with that.
    My one doesn't spray as high as the stick that goes into the ground comes in two parts and I only use the first one keeping the spray lower for my small garden.

• Advertisement
Advertisement