Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Event 41 : Kernel-Power // Is it possible for a HDD to cause this crash ?

Options
  • 07-05-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Over the last 2 days I have been getting the above error very often.

My build has 3 HDD's (1 SSD + 2 SATA) , 2 Graphics Cards also.

At first I thought it was an overheating issue or ram.

- I have ran RAM tests and all passed,
    - I have also stress tested the Graphics cards and ran the computer with only 1 at a time and it worked fine, and monitored their temperature (while only the SSD [os] was connected )
    - I have installed CPU temperature monitoring software and their apperas to be no huge spike, current temp = 35c

-At one stage today with full setup I watched a whole film and had a game or 2 of Starcraft before the issue started reoccuring

Unfortunately there is only so much information you can gather from Hardware Events , and there is no BugCheck code.

=> This is the reason I think something is tripping the power

I haven't changed anything to instigate such faults with the computer, no new firmrware, drivers or hardware.

I do have enough Power going to the cpu, the PSU is an 800w and there has been no issues over the last 2 years.

It seems to run fine when I only have the SSD connected, so I'm thinking it may be on of the other 2 HDDs , or Slot/Cable for the SATA , but...has anyone ever heard of this ?...it seems very strange to me that they could trip the power or cause this kind of issue.

Or can anyone suggest any other tests to try trip the system and check hardware ?

Apologies if this is the wrong section, was going to put into PC Building/Upgrading, but seemed more suitable here

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I would be pointing the blame at PSU myself, especially if the power is being tripped. PSUs can go bad unfortunately. Could you borrow one from someone to test?
    Are you using ATI radeon cards out of interest? I did have issues with their drivers crashing to a black screen, and having to manually power off the system (reset button didn't work). If you have ATI cards use DriverSweeper to clear all traces of both ATI and Nvidia drivers (after using the ATI uninstall routine) and then re-install the latest drivers and see if the crashes stop. Not sure if Kernel Power issues showed in the event viewer (can't remember) but may be worth checking

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

yoyo wrote: »
    I would be pointing the blame at PSU myself, especially if the power is being tripped. PSUs can go bad unfortunately. Could you borrow one from someone to test?
    Are you using ATI radeon cards out of interest? I did have issues with their drivers crashing to a black screen, and having to manually power off the system (reset button didn't work). If you have ATI cards use DriverSweeper to clear all traces of both ATI and Nvidia drivers (after using the ATI uninstall routine) and then re-install the latest drivers and see if the crashes stop. Not sure if Kernel Power issues showed in the event viewer (can't remember) but may be worth checking

Nick

Hey Nick,

I currently have the System up atm, writing this message off it.
    Uptime at present is 22minutes
    Currently I've taken out and cleaned everything of dust.
    Everything is reconnected except the 2 SATA drives.

Graphics cards are 2 x ATI 6870

It doesn't seem to go to a black screen where I need to power off automatically, it just quickly resets and boots up again, there is no long power down or shutdown noises....also....the fans keep going , as if it has restarted and they stay on during power down / restart.

Current status and temps of devices can be seen @ link below

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7728/tempsg.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Hey Nick,

I currently have the System up atm, writing this message off it.
    Uptime at present is 22minutes
    Currently I've taken out and cleaned everything of dust.
    Everything is reconnected except the 2 SATA drives.

Graphics cards are 2 x ATI 6870

It doesn't seem to go to a black screen where I need to power off automatically, it just quickly resets and boots up again, there is no long power down or shutdown noises....also....the fans keep going , as if it has restarted and they stay on during power down / restart.

Current status and temps of devices can be seen @ link below

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7728/tempsg.jpg

Try driver sweeper and re-installing the catalyst drivers. Also maybe try with only one gpu. Your problem could also be gpu related. These ATI drivers are still rubbish (regret changing from Nvidia :( although their latest drivers after a clean install install seem to work ok). Also try turning off the "Overdrive" function

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Left the cpu on there for 2 hours while I went out, came back, still seems to be working (without the 2 SATA HDD's)

Ran a game of SC2 to test everything, worked ok . On exiting, CPU temp was 54c , is this ok or a bit high ?

edit : Apparently max for a X6-1090T is 62c (though I can understand it may shut down if it reaches past this threshold, most of the instances where it crashed previous were not during Cpu intensive operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Was there a solution to this problem?

This has started happening to me as of the last few weeks

only recently changed the graphics drivers to Dual gtx 580s

but only happens once or twice a week, but annoying when it does

Can anyone confirm is a graphic issue or a psu problem (or how would i tast the psu)

I also mentioned about this in a previous thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85732262

• Advertisement
Advertisement