Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

composting cone question

• 07-05-2013 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

got a composting cone , its a contained unit, half buried that takes all kitchen compost inc meat. Its been in ground at least 6 years and never a problem. Think it works by means of worm action and the water content draining into ground, so in theory you fill from the top and over time compost disappears downwards. its a different system to the ones that you get good dry matter to use in your garden.
    Question is does anybody know of these and if they use them have your worms disappeared. Mine seem to be gone, its possible they are deep down where its warmer, but I used to see 100s of them at surface munching through new compose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Hey rje
    Im not familiar with the cone composter.
    But if the worms have diminished it could possibly,imo, that there is a sludge/slimey(worms wont like) area built
    up at some level of the bin
    which would restrict air flow and worm movement thru the compost.
    I would suggest if its possible to take out all the contents onto a sheet of plastic and incorporate some dry matter to it, set it aside for a short while to use in the garden and maybe try a new fresh hole for the bin.
    I would turn my compost heaps about every two months to introduce air and mix it up .
    just my twopence.GL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

I think that this is actually a digestor rather than a composter. It works mainly on bacterial decomposition. You can buy accelerator powder, which is used to kick start it in spring by adding new bacteria. I'm sure that the worms have a place, but I don't think that they are essential. No idea where they've gone, but it could be to do with the long and cold winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

I think that this is actually a digestor rather than a composter. It works mainly on bacterial decomposition. You can buy accelerator powder, which is used to kick start it in spring by adding new bacteria. I'm sure that the worms have a place, but I don't think that they are essential. No idea where they've gone, but it could be to do with the long and cold winter.
    Thanks for replies. Digestor sounds right, seem to rem a pack of accelerator when it came.

Advertisement