Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choice, subject choice, subject choice

• 07-05-2013 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Right so I'm in TY and here's how the LC subjects are sorted in my school:
    Every student going to 5th year gives preference on three subjects [1st, 2nd, 3rd] and then all the preferences goes to the career guidance teacher. This teacher then makes 3 brackets of subjects based on the preferences and each student picks one subject out of each bracket.
    Here were my preferences:
    1. Biology
    2. Ag. Science
    3. History

Here are the brackets
    *Biology/ Ag. Science/ Physics
    * History/ accounting/ economics/Art
    * Chemistry/ Business/ Design

So my problem is the bio and ag science are in the same bracket. Which do you think I should choose? I'm from a farming background so Ag. science would be good for points but i like biology and it opens up courses.

Also which should i chose from the last bracket? I'm veering t'words chem even though i'm not great at it.

I hope this is clear.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

FiachDubh wrote: »
    Right so I'm in TY and here's how the LC subjects are sorted in my school:
    Every student going to 5th year gives preference on three subjects [1st, 2nd, 3rd] and then all the preferences goes to the career guidance teacher. This teacher then makes 3 brackets of subjects based on the preferences and each student picks one subject out of each bracket.
    Here were my preferences:
    1. Biology
    2. Ag. Science
    3. History

Here are the brackets
    *Biology/ Ag. Science/ Physics
    * History/ accounting/ economics/Art
    * Chemistry/ Business/ Design

So my problem is the bio and ag science are in the same bracket. Which do you think I should choose? I'm from a farming background so Ag. science would be good for points but i like biology and it opens up courses.

Also which should i chose from the last bracket? I'm veering t'words chem even though i'm not great at it.

I hope this is clear.

I think its really just up to which one interests you more, i do biology and i really like it but the course is huge!! If you are from a farming background ag science could be handy and the course is alot shorter than biology , many places take ag science as a science subject so they aren't too different.IF you have any questions about biology?

Also the last 3 are completely different subjects, it depends if you want another science if your good at that or business , mainly just learning the book off, i don't know anything about design , if you have any questions about business , just ask .

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

Chemistry is needed if you want to do anything surrounding medicine but you probably know that.

I do both Chemistry and Business and I'd suggest Chemistry as it has less learning in my opinion. But there is some basic maths and calculations in Chemistry which can get tricky if you struggle with maths.

Also in Business you are required to give your opinion on certain situations/solutions which is difficult to get full marks in. Where as in Chemistry you basically recite experiments etc and the exam paper doesn't change much either. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I know people from farming backgrounds who do Ag Science and they find it just as difficult/easy as everyone else does in the class. I think being from a farming background doesn't make a huge difference when it comes to Ag Science and of course you might find some parts of the course relatively ok but you are certainly not going to coast through it all. If you like Biology more than Ag Science go for it and one possible plus side of it is that you don't have to do a project during 6th year unlike in Ag. Science. However some people do prefer doing a project instead of doing it all on exam day.

As for your third bracket I'd definitely pick Chemistry. It opens up all your options for college as it is a requirement for some courses unlike business which isn't required for any course (as far as I know). Business won't be as hard to pick up in college anyway compared to picking up chemistry in an Engineering course for example, which is said to be fairly stressful to say the least. But don't pick a subject just because it's supposedly more useful - both subjects have their pros and cons so just with what you prefer!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Hello 1996

Hello!
    Im just wondering has anyone done Music, Business or Biology for the Leaving cert? Im just finished TY and I was thinking of keeping these subjects on but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Physics and business I know personally anyone can do really well in it's just learning off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Hello 1996 wrote: »
    Hello!
    Im just wondering has anyone done Music, Business or Biology for the Leaving cert? Im just finished TY and I was thinking of keeping these subjects on but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I feel business is really easy. The marking scheme is easy to understand so you know exactly how many points you need to make per question. You also get a good choice of questions to pick from in the exam paper

I feel business is really easy. The marking scheme is easy to understand so you know exactly how many points you need to make per question. You also get a good choice of questions to pick from in the exam paper

Thanks very much :) Is it hard to get an A in?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Thanks very much :) Is it hard to get an A in?

I wouldn't think so! I got 74% in the mocks without any study at all, aiming for a high B or A in the real exam nest week too. It's all about practice and past papers really, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hello!
    Seems like a nice mix to me, and keeps your options pretty open in terms of where you might go afterwards.

Have you any idea at all, even broadly, of what you would like to do after LC?

Seems like a nice mix to me, and keeps your options pretty open in terms of where you might go afterwards.

Have you any idea at all, even broadly, of what you would like to do after LC?

I'm kind of thinking of doing psychology or teaching-I'll probably change my mind though :P My guidance teacher was giving out saying that my subjects are too broad and I'm not going in any particular direction :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, if you're not sure what direction you're going in, that may be ok for now!

Music would be useful if you're thinking primary teaching. If you're thinking secondary teaching, then she may have a point depending on what subjects you would like to teach.

There's nothing really at LC that links directly to Psychology tbh ... there is a biological component, so that would be useful to have done, other than that ...

Well, if you're not sure what direction you're going in, that may be ok for now!

Music would be useful if you're thinking primary teaching. If you're thinking secondary teaching, then she may have a point depending on what subjects you would like to teach.

There's nothing really at LC that links directly to Psychology tbh ... there is a biological component, so that would be useful to have done, other than that ...

Ya I think I'll keep these subjects :) Thanks for the advice! The only thing is that Music is supposed to be very hard to get an A in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Just being from a farming family isn't enough to make a difference in ag science, you have to be interested in farming to benefit you in ag science,, if your interested in farming and spend a good bit of time on the farm chances are you will know a fair bit about it and it should be an advantage to you for some of the ag science course. Ag is a very broad course and there is a lot more to it than people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

DO ACCOUNTING

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

Just do business. Interested or not, best subject going!

Advertisement