Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Cadetship 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

My group on the 30th July had about 10 Irish people including me and the other 15 or so were foreign, out of the 25ish around 5 where female. I was told we would hear back late August early September. What is the next stage anyway?

I have to ask what the hell a "Nigelism" is? :confused:

Nigellism

A religion where one worships Nigella Lawson and her luscious cooking. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shamexpress

Nigelism......to act like a nigel whilst piloting an aircraft. Nigels are known for doing things that they think are cool, but in reality make everyone elses skin crawl (such as those who speak English as their first language saying "ciao" when leaving the frequency (QSY)). They firmly believe in the words of Huey Lewis that it is in fact "hip to be square"!

Right, enough of that. Anyone who's attended this weeks selections heard anything further on the date if notification being the end of August/beginning of September? It seems that both here and on Pprune no-one seems to be announcing that they've been invited for selection next week, and if this week does see things wrapping up one would hope the notification will be brought forward. This is purely speculation, but it'd be nice if anyone had any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

I think the DEFOs are being invited to a selection stage next week, so I don't think we'll hear anything till that's over...

Forgive my naivity, but what have the DEFOs got to do with the cadetship? You'd assume HR are treating the cadets and DE's as two separate streams, as the selection criteria will differ as will the process. EI have an idea of a number they'll be aiming for for the next round regardless of how many DE's are taken on.

Obviously it's impatience fuelling this line of thought!

• Advertisement

Same HR department hiring them both. The HR department is only so big, only so much they can get through. Could also perhaps be a factor in deciding how many cadets they're likely to take, whether they decrease or increase they think they'll need based on their initial impression of the DEFOs.

That's a fair one with the department being saturated. If I was a betting man, I'd guess they've compiled a list of those being invited forward based on the top percentage from each session, which they add to on a weekly basis. Then at the end of the selection process they've not got much more to do to complete the list. I know other blue chip HR companies come together at the end of each week to discuss who they've seen, and come up with a group consensus. I'm clearly spit-balling here, but the wait makes the mind wander!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Paxi_R6

Well 10 cadets is for definite I honestly don't think they will take 20 this time, I can see another cadetship coming around maybe 12-18 months where they might take 10-20 but 10 makes more sense over the next few years slowly trickle pilots into the airline. Aer lingus in my option will return to the days where 75%+ of the pilots where made up of cadets not DE.

It'd be nice to think that, but we don't really know anything. Apparently the cadet scheme is the brainchild of CM, and he's only contracted to EI for 2 years, possibly more, but a minimum of 2 years. In the aviation industry things can change in an instant, so while it'd be great if that was the case, no one can see that far into the future.

It's here now, it was here 2 years ago, hopefully it'll be here again in 2 years, but no one knows...

Apparently though they're aiming for 20 cadets if they get the funding for it from finance, so there's something to be positive about.

That's a fair one with the department being saturated. If I was a betting man, I'd guess they've compiled a list of those being invited forward based on the top percentage from each session, which they add to on a weekly basis. Then at the end of the selection process they've not got much more to do to complete the list. I know other blue chip HR companies come together at the end of each week to discuss who they've seen, and come up with a group consensus. I'm clearly spit-balling here, but the wait makes the mind wander!

I'd say they probably had a list at the end of every day, that seems to be how most other companies do it. Keep in mind though, they're recruiting DEFOs, Cabin crew for both Dublin and Shannon, Engineers and cadets as well as running a voluntary redundency scheme, so HR are going to be swamped for the next couple months, they're really earning their wages at the minute... ;)

• Advertisement

It'd be nice if they do continue it, they clearly see home grown talent as a good direction.

Damn right they're earning their wages, it must be manic! Based on two above, one of the Captains from my day said there were 10 spots, but they were very optimistic financing would approve a full 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Paxi_R6 wrote: »
    Aer lingus in my option will return to the days where 75%+ of the pilots where made up of cadets not DE.

In modern business and aviation that would not be a sustainable model. Their cost base would explode over a couple of years. In the past there could be a shortage of experienced airmen in numbers large enough to supply their needs and so that is why so many cadets were trained up. Now that they have literally 100s of Irish ATPLs around Europe and the World to pick from I cant see them deliberately throwing money at Cadetships just for the sake of it.
    From what I have heard they planned 2 years ago to run 3 over 6 years and then see how it was working. However a return to more than 50% cadets would be financially suicidal in the current climate.

Correct lads, If they get the financing they will take 20 the sad truth is most likely wont if they do its good news I suppose, If its 10 which mostly likely is the next cadet program won't be far behind!

History of The airline and pilots who work there will say its most likely wanting to keep the cadet route alive compared to taking DE.
    1)They train them from starch (The Aer lingus way)so to speak.
    2)Loyalty to the airline(Okay questionable)

The airline industry changes rather quick most guys know that, either way you go you take your chances and pay your money! DE will obviously have a huge chance now due to the huge expansion who knowns they might take DE again after this time round maybe not to this scale apparently 40.

Like most you have said you can't judge that far ahead, Im sure they have some plan set up none the less, if things go well or if things go pear shaped forget about DE or cadets too soon. Remember they're letting a lot of people go and taking lots of people in at the same time, I take it the new hires won't be on as good contracts, the pension deficit has to be Delt with more job losses, pilots want increase in pay, hard to say what's going to happen.
    Cannot forget about FR trying to takeover either if they do most DE will be chuffed! Just have to pay for type ;) Mueller also getting bonus after bonus, who knows what's going to happen aye.

If there's one man who deserves bonus after bonus it's CM, he's turned the whole thing around at EI, I don't think anyone could complain about his remuneration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AlphaHotel

Thank Micheal O' Leary for saving Aer Lingus

Ha! You're a hoot... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AlphaHotel

Ha! You're a hoot... :D

Think about it,Ill let ya phone a friend but your on the clock:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Back on topic lads! posts not about the cadet program will receive a ban.

I fear there may be more of a wait for us all! A chap on pprune has posted that yesterday he was told he had until today to complete his online tests because he hadn't been able in May. I'm not sure what to make of it as it seems incredibly generous on the part of recruitment, but if it is true then it would suggest there are others, and therefore more to be assessed. Thoughts?

Yeh, saw that, not sure if he's serious, or mixed up the cadet and DEFO threads or just having everyone on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Roblestone

I fear there may be more of a wait for us all! A chap on pprune has posted that yesterday he was told he had until today to complete his online tests because he hadn't been able in May. I'm not sure what to make of it as it seems incredibly generous on the part of recruitment, but if it is true then it would suggest there are others, and therefore more to be assessed. Thoughts?

BS I would say

Yup, he just admitted to being a spoofer...

Don't believe the waffles he's trying to feed people on pprune! Spoofer or no life either one works.

Just throwing this question to the folks who got to the assessments, How many of you are in University or have a degree. Since I missed out(Heart breaking for me personally) and assessments are definitely over! how many you guys studying in further 3rd level education :)

Hang on there! God it's amazing how quickly people esculate comments. The guy on there had it pointed out to him he was posting in the cadetship forum when really he'd meant to post in the direct entry one. An honest mistake; no harm, no foul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

PPrune reporting that calls going out as of this morning for next stage. Best of luck to all

Best of luck to everyone, I'm sitting patiently by the phone hoping...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Future Pilot

Does anyone has an idea how many they will invite for the next round?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I was wondering does anybody want to speculate on the process for this round will it be staggered like the last or will everybody get a phonecall over the next few days??

But I suppose it all depends on the numbers they have for the next round has anybody heard any rumours?

I'd imagine numbers will have been cut big time since the last stage. If the last program was anything to go by this stage will be the panel interviews, last about 3 hours with a member of HR and a Pilot, trying to get a very good sense of you.

• Advertisement

HR said at my assessment that they brought one third to that stage so I would imagine the ~960 will be cut by about the same, maybe 300 or so for the next stage.

I'd say we'd be looking at closer to 100 to be honest.

I think maybe 100 to 150, back to the phone watching for me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

I'd say we'd be looking at closer to 100 to be honest.

Yeah I'd say you are close with that figure. From what I have heard, this is the final stage and only thing remaining after that is a medical. Wouldn't say it'll be any more that 70-100.

Good luck!

Yeh, apparently the psych eval and medical are going to come very shortly after the interviews based on what's being said on PPRuNe, so I'd say we're looking in the region of 80-100 if it's still 10 cadets or maybe 120-150 if it's 20 cadets.

I was thinking about a number of 100 people myself as well, but I know no figures about the previous time the cadet scheme was run (other then there were 20 cadets). With the estimates, I would say on average only 2 persons out of every group which was at the assessment will make it through. I find the waiting actually the worst part. Like you I am anxiously waiting for that phone call. Let's hope for the best. It's pretty much all we can do now :)

• Advertisement

I really didn't think it could be as low as 100, but when I think of it 100 is probably right. I wonder how many people got the call today. I wonder what about HR saying to us late August/September to hear back is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Calm Observer

I imagine the numbers are closer to 200+ through to this round. HR would have an extremely difficult task narrowing down 900 to much lower than that without without another round of interviewing. You have to also remember that whilst they don't want to give themselves stacks of extra work, they also don't want to cut themselves short, potentially missing out on some excellent candidates. Today seems to be the first day of calls if online forums are anything to go by so they're likely to be making a lot more calls. Don't lose hope just yet. Remember that everything you see online is most likely speculation, and this is far from over :)

Bsal wrote: »
    I really didn't think it could be as low as 100, but when I think of it 100 is probably right. I wonder how many people got the call today. I wonder what about HR saying to us late August/September to hear back is all about.

I'd say they were just covering themselves in case they ran into some issues and the process was delayed. 900 anxious potential cadets phoning/emailing them would just add to the pressure if they went beyond the timeframe they suggested :)

Okay, so I've a bit of info to share with you all. I've gotten it from a source that I can't fully verify, but seems to be reliable and in line with what I'd expect.

As follows:
    There were 2800 applications. 600 in Last stage. 75-80 in next stage.
    Marks were given for each of the 3 assignments on the group day, these will be combined with the marks for the online assesments and used to select the candidates going forward.

Make of that what yee will.

Seems like a good few people on pprune got through to the next stage. Anyone from here lucky enough?

• Advertisement

No, still waiting. Not sure if they will call next week as well or that everyone who got through have been called already. I feel I did rather well in general, but I have some mixed feelings about things I felt I could have done differently. So if I were unsuccesful, I rather have that e-mail now, then wait longer and still having that hope of passing on to the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ilikemoozic

No, still waiting. Not sure if they will call next week as well or that everyone who got through have been called already. I feel I did rather well in general, but I have some mixed feelings about things I felt I could have done differently. So if I were unsuccesful, I rather have that e-mail now, then wait longer and still having that hope of passing on to the next stage.

I haven't heard anything either, still waiting patiently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

I haven't heard anything either, still waiting patiently
    I got called yesterday for interview in 2 weeks. Required to bring proof of no colour blindness which I'm very anxious about.

cherrytaz wrote: »
    I got called yesterday for interview in 2 weeks. Required to bring proof of no colour blindness which I'm very anxious about.

How did you feel about the assessment after you finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Squish91

It seems that everyone on PPRUNE at this stage that has gotten through to the next stage all have PPL's. Correct me if i'm wrong. Maybe there are 2 sets of interviews. Those for PPL holders, and one for those without. Just a thought...

Squish91 wrote: »
    It seems that everyone on PPRUNE at this stage that has gotten through to the next stage all have PPL's. Correct me if i'm wrong. Maybe there are 2 sets of interviews. Those for PPL holders, and one for those without. Just a thought...

No, people with no PPL and very little experience have also been invited.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ilikemoozic

I too feel as though I may have done better in the interview, some answers I knew I should have given as soon as I left the room, as opposed to the ones I gave. I feel it could have gone either way but I'll live in hope for the next few days.

I imagine the numbers are closer to 200+ through to this round. HR would have an extremely difficult task narrowing down 900 to much lower than that without without another round of interviewing. You have to also remember that whilst they don't want to give themselves stacks of extra work, they also don't want to cut themselves short, potentially missing out on some excellent candidates. Today seems to be the first day of calls if online forums are anything to go by so they're likely to be making a lot more calls. Don't lose hope just yet. Remember that everything you see online is most likely speculation, and this is far from over :)

That number of 900 is wrong, the actual number is closer to 600 that got to the assessments. 150+ to the next stage sounds about right.

I also received a call and I have no PPL. Felt I did ok in the group and written but was kicking myself over all of the things I should have said in the interview. Think shamrock suggested previously that the people through we're chosen based on scores for each of the three parts of the group assessment plus the online stuff.

There's still plenty

Sorry accidental hit post before I was finished! There's still plenty of time for more calls to be made. Nobody knows what way this is going to work as it's not following the same pattern as last time. Best of luck to all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement