Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Cadetship 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Alaba320

CFM56 wrote: »
    I agree its all rumours, but the one about the first course makes sense as they need people to be out in Jerez next month and people will obviously need to give notice etc etc.

The guy on twitter seems genuine too and he seems to think he has a place..

Thanks for the update from recruitment department..

Why do you think they need people to be out in Jerez? They are not going to interview half the candidates and pick out of them. They interview everyone then decide. As far as I know there are interviews up until the end of next week.

EDIT

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CFM56

To start training, thats when they said the first course is.. I'd say they want pilots to join at the start of summer season 2015, so need to be fully type rated by 1st May 2015. Its getting a bit tight if you don't start training soon (ie 14 months training, 2 months type rating) and the simulator time is always the bottleneck.

Oh yeah as for that clown on twitter that knew 2 months ago! I DM'd him on it and he told me that he wasn't successful in even getting to the group stage but because aer lingus was "so impressed" with a letter he sent that they would take him on as a FO if he completes an integrated course on his own back. He is starting in Cork in November..... Even in the extremely unlikely event this is true its not the cadetship

Fair enough..

To start training, thats when they said the first course is.. I'd say they want pilots to join at the start of summer season 2015, so need to be fully type rated by 1st May 2015. Its getting a bit tight if you don't start training soon (ie 14 months training, 2 months type rating) and the simulator time is always the bottleneck.

Plans change! Do you think they are going to panic pick candidates without seeing the full hand? Just because it would mean an extra 5 pilots in May 15? Come on think about it!

• Advertisement

i'm not saying that they are panicking. What I'm saying is that if they got half way through, they take the top 10% of candidates and progress them to the next stage, then they are getting a head start.

I'm not the head of Pilot Recruitment at Aer Lingus so its only conjecture..

i'm not saying that they are panicking. What I'm saying is that if they got half way through, they take the top 10% of candidates and progress them to the next stage, then they are getting a head start.

I'm not the head of Pilot Recruitment at Aer Lingus so its only conjecture..

I'm not having a go at you, but that's a ridiculous recruitment method even for a small newsagents let alone for a national airline. Supposing they took 80 through to interview and the first 40 were the worst 40 if your idea was correct that means 5 or 10 better candidates are going to lose out on a place to less worthy candidates just because of the date they were interviewed.

It's like only reading half a menu in a restaurant and deciding what your favourite dish on the menu is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EDCAS

Hi Guys,

just going from what I've read from the last cadet-ship thread, there was only 3 weeks of interviews, after the last week it wasn't until another two weeks for EI to call people for the phsycho and meds, This is based on that only one person posted they got the call roughly 2 weeks after the last days of interviews. Now supposing they are running things like the last time it means that next week the calls inviting people to the psycho and meds should go out, this is based on people saying here that there was still interviews last week.

Now I ask one question if anyone could let me know, PM me if necessarily, Has anyone heard of any people or person who has been invited to a medical or psycho tests? I assume the chances of someone posting that they got the call are very slim since in the last thread only one person from boards got the call, (i.e. only one person actually posted about getting the call).

Anyways sorry if my grammar is weird (not my strongest point), and thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I have kept a close eye on it and it has given me useful info.
    Best of luck to everyone in their future careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Future Pilot

And the waiting continues...

Unfortunately from what I am hearing calls were made to the successful people yesterday. They will now have the psychology evaluation and a medical. I suspect the 'unsuccessful' calls will be made when everyone passes the medical.

• Advertisement

Or fortunately for some (not me). People have been going for psychology evaluations over the last few weeks... Maybe it was the last ones yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 icelandflyer

What is your source? There are three courses October/November/January and I can imagine they will have numerous dates. They may be calling when they get a batch of dates for candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CM175

Sounds bad indeed

I have no clue anymore. It seems there are still people waiting for any kind of response after attending the group assessment.

When I rang HR department the lady said they were still processing candidates for the third stage. Right now, after reading all these messages and such I might wonder if this may have been a miscommunication. It could easily have been mistaken for the psychological and medical stage. Although I said I only attended the group assessment.

Reading all these messages, to me it seems the candidates who got through to the panel interviews went to Dublin again for the panel interview. This group is now waiting for a phone call, but then again...what about those who have only attended the group assessment? Some did receive a rejection mail, others (like me) are still waiting..

To be honest. I have no idea what is going on, what they are working on right now. However with the information I have, I can still foresee the possibility they selected the first batch for October, but may still need to select candidates for the November and January course.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

The bad news is that some people (not me) have been accepted (Got the phone call on 27th September) and start their training on Monday 7th October in Spain for 15 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Calm Observer

Several candidates were processed quickly to fill spaces that had been held on the October course. As far as I'm aware they are the only confirmed cadets so far.

It's possible that more calls went out this Monday but that is just speculation from what I have read on this forum. Until 20 contracts have been signed, it's not over.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Several candidates were processed quickly to fill spaces that had been held on the October course. As far as I'm aware they are the only confirmed cadets so far.

It's possible that more calls went out this Monday but that is just speculation from what I have read on this forum. Until 20 contracts have been signed, it's not over.

Exactly, The October slots have been filled, but there's still two courses left to get candidates for, don't forget that even those chosen at the panel can still fall down at the psychological exam or at the medical, or they could even turn around and decide it's not for them, so it's not over until the fat lady sings, and we're all still in with a chance until we hear otherwise.

Congratulations to those who've been selected and best of luck to the rest of us still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Roblestone

Exactly, The October slots have been filled, but there's still two courses left to get candidates for, don't forget that even those chosen at the panel can still fall down at the psychological exam or at the medical, or they could even turn around and decide it's not for them, so it's not over until the fat lady sings, and we're all still in with a chance until we hear otherwise.

Congratulations to those who've been selected and best of luck to the rest of us still waiting.

Are you sure the psychological assessment is a competitive stage? ie. a number cutting stage?

From what I know, the results of your psych will be very black or white, yes or no! It's not exactly like an interview where you can give poor, ok, good and great answers... There is an answer they're looking for and an answer they're not, so the psychologists report will either be "healthy mind for pilot" or "unhealthy mind for pilot" there is no in between.

Also, if it is a number cutting stage that means the interviews that were held throughout September were the second last competitive stage (I'm not counting the medical, because the only send who they want for that), they would have definitely brought more than 60 to the second last competitive stage given that they are taking 20 on.

I could be wrong on this but that is just what I gathered from the last cadetship and it makes sense....(in my head anyway :) )

Roblestone wrote: »
    Are you sure the psychological assessment is a competitive stage? ie. a number cutting stage?

From what I know, the results of your psych will be very black or white, yes or no! It's not exactly like an interview where you can give poor, ok, good and great answers... There is an answer they're looking for and an answer they're not, so the psychologists report will either be "healthy mind for pilot" or "unhealthy mind for pilot" there is no in between.

Also, if it is a number cutting stage that means the interviews that were held throughout September were the second last competitive stage (I'm not counting the medical, because the only send who they want for that), they would have definitely brought more than 60 to the second last competitive stage given that they are taking 20 on.

I could be wrong on this but that is just what I gathered from the last cadetship and it makes sense....(in my head anyway :) )

Sorry, no I didn't mean competitive, but I did mean that some of the possible candidates could and will be knocked out at that stage, otherwise they wouldn't do one. Last time around 27 made it to the psychologist and 5 failed at it, with the other remainin 2 either failing the medical or deciding it wasn't for them. I didn't mean it'd be used to compare us against each other, only that just because 20 have been sent to the psych doesn't mean taht there won't be more sent if some fail.

Sorry, no I didn't mean competitive, but I did mean that some of the possible candidates could and will be knocked out at that stage, otherwise they wouldn't do one. Last time around 27 made it to the psychologist and 5 failed at it, with the other remainin 2 either failing the medical or deciding it wasn't for them. I didn't mean it'd be used to compare us against each other, only that just because 20 have been sent to the psych doesn't mean taht there won't be more sent if some fail.

Ah I see, yeah obviously if someone with a less than sound mind goes in for the psych he is not going to get through so in that case people can be eliminated at this round, but I'd imagine the failure rate would be quite low... even lower than 5 out of 27.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LongTimeReader

I'm confused now...So have all those for the psych been called forward or only those for the October course?

I'm confused now...So have all those for the psych been called forward or only those for the October course?

October course have had their psychs and medicals done and been offered their contracts I gather.

Those for the November course I'm guessing are the ones that were supposedly called to their psychs on Monday I'd imagine. The rest of us are still here hoping we'll make the January course.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

The October cadets have been chosen.

Others have attended the psychologist but I don't know if any have heard anything further yet.

Has anyone managed to get through to them to see what the story is?

I get the impression from this thread (and last years) that once you fall off the list, the good folks at recruitment dont have much time for you..

You would like to think they would have the decency to keep you informed. They told me I would hear in 2-3 weeks and it's now been 4. Poor form from a company you would think should have good HR and recruitment policies and procedures.

In my experience you need to ring them to get an answer. Worked for me.

I get the impression from this thread (and last years) that once you fall off the list, the good folks at recruitment dont have much time for you..

I'd be inclined to agree with that, although you can hardly blame them what with trying to organise 3 courses, psychs, medicals, contracts etc, as well as the current recruitment program for DEFOs and Cabin Crew, they're probably swamped at the moment... Eitherway, the situation is what it is for us, if we're through we'll be throguh and if not we'll get a call sometime, but it's not exactly as if being told we're out now, next week or a month from now makes any difference to us, the result is the same... :(

Alaba320, what answer did they give you when you called ?

I can understand if they do not inform everyone about why they got rejected on an individual basis, but knowing some people got the rejection mail after the group assessment and some not, it only raises questions.

Why leave so many in limbo? They could just send a mass e-mail if they are done selecting. I bet many are wondering what is taking so long and start contacting the HR department. They may be more busy answering them then going on with the selection, but then again this can be avoided by timely informing the applicants who weren't succesful.

Should I draw my own conclusion from the messages I read on the forums that I were not succesful? Or could it be they are still selecting candidates for the January and possibily the November course? They said they would contact us whatever the outcome. Without any official response I can only guess, so just any word would be really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 directPEPOD

The reality is folks that EI is unpredictable at best in this area, one only has to look at this and the previous programmes to see for yourself. There also is a justified perception that they are trying to reinvent the wheel. For example:

-Using those graduate training aptitude test things instead of deferring to the flight school like everyone else
    -Ringing up 700 odd people for an initial stage of the selection
    -Sponsoring (a good thing for prospective cadets) in full, while even BA is using the APL/bond model which is perfectly acceptable in my view.
    -If EI really value finding true 'cadets to mould' then why even allow people with many hours flying experience to continue or even get into the programme as the case was last year
    -This really poor system of leaving candidates hanging in the balance, unless you have to take to internet boards in the hope of finding some useful news
    -People make the excuse of running DEFO, cadet schemes etc together.. They must have made a major miscalculation to need so many staff this quickly resulting in so many simultaneous campaigns.
    -Still dont understand how you can start a cadet scheme without even knowing where you're going to send the kids. OAA and CTC wouldnt allow students in who havent completed their assessment which only leaves FTE and other Irish schools as alternates.
    -The whole nepotism thing which is not as rife as people think but it has been evident in the previous scheme. We'll see what happens with the next lot.
    -Psychologists. Never in my life have I heard a pilot going through therapy to get a job [/sarcasm]. Makes you think that Aer Lingus can't tell themselves if someone's stable enough to fly an airliner. Again, no-one else does it and I'm sure that it has done a lot of decent candidates out of a job because they were understandably nervous on the day.

A young lad I know from the local flying club applied for this and is still waiting for a response nearly 3 months after his group exercise, so if my memory is correct that would mean five months since applying. He said as well that BA is was the complete opposite. Professional staff, kept well informed, an established process that works and it was all wrapped up in two and a half months.

He's now in New Zealand doing his ATPLs having been accepted to Monarch as a cadet and he had his applications, interviews, group exercises, medicals all done in one month. He started about two months after he applied!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Predator88

My take on the situation is this:

It is my understanding that at the group stages, Aer Lingus wanted to take on 20 cadets but only had authorisation (from HO) for 10 - these were due to start in January.

Since then (I believe) Aer Lingus has negotiated a deal with FTE Jerez to fill the October and November courses at a discount - this will benefit both FTE (who will now run at full capacity) and Aer Lingus (as they are saving cash - which would have been the reason for recruiting only 10 when 20 were required).

This happened early September I'm guessing, at which point the FTE Jerez website was updated to reflect that both October and November courses have been sold out.

It is for this reason that I think Aer Lingus have had to rush through a handful of candidates for the October intake. Assuming that this process is nearing completion I am guessing they will resume with their original recruitment process.

Why on earth they would have sent out any rejection e-mails though, is beyond me.

I am awaiting a response from Aer Lingus so that I can make a very important decision as to what to do, I have called and e-mailed but have not received any response - chasing them isn't really going to help in my opinion. Therefore, if there is anyone on here who has some accurate information about the process, where it's currently at and what the next stages are going to be, can you please private message me so that I have at least some information to make my decision.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Psychologists. Never in my life have I heard a pilot going through therapy to get a job [/sarcasm]. Makes you think that Aer Lingus can't tell themselves if someone's stable enough to fly an airliner. Again, no-one else does it and I'm sure that it has done a lot of decent candidates out of a job because they were understandably nervous on the day.

Psych interviews and testing are pretty much standard industry practice.
    For my current job I had to do several psych tests and an hour long interview with a psychologist.
    When I did my upgrade to Captain, I had to do them all over again and other new ones as well, plus another 90 minute interview with a psychologist.

Predator88 wrote: »

It is for this reason that I think Aer Lingus have had to rush through a handful of candidates for the October intake. Assuming that this process is nearing completion I am guessing they will resume with their original recruitment process.

It could make some sense, but on PPruNe some people got a phone call around the 15th of August. It seems these could have taken the October course, if they needed cadets for that course.

I can only hope they still need to select the candidates for the January course. It would mean it is not over yet.

If you take a look a Flightwise (school in weston) Facebook page there is a picture of a girl who is on the October course.

I HAVE DELETED THIS PART: UNFAIR SPECULATION ON MY PART!

Thanks Aer Lingus for letting us find out on a flight schools Facebook page that you have chosen cadets. Nice to see you are keeping us informed! I know the word was out there but it was only really rumours until someone came out and said they were one of the chosen cadets.

Edited.

• Advertisement

Thanks Aer Lingus for letting us find out on a flight schools Facebook page that you have chosen cadets. Nice to see you are keeping us informed! I know the word was out there but it was only really rumours until someone came out and said they were one of the chosen cadets.

I'd imagine they haven't told us because they're still picking people for the November/January courses, they're not going to send an email to everyone saying "We've picked the first 6, still going for the next 14". The school no doubt wanted the publicity of being able to say they started the Girl off, so published the news as soon as they found out.

We're all still in with a chance until all 20 have passes the psych, medical and signed their contracts, and until that point EI won't rule out people it still thinks might make the grade if others in the queue ahead of them fall down at a stage.

Fair plé to the girl, I'm sure she deserved it if she jumped through as many hoops as had been set down by EI. Congratulations.

The rest of us just need to sit here in hope beside the phone.

Dear Aer Lingus Recruitment,

I feel we have been on a journey together, so I wanted to tell you my story.

Back in May, I was very pleased to see that you were recruiting for Cadets again. I filled out my form and updated my CV (1 hour) and was over the moon when you asked me to fill out the on line tests. I thought the tunnel test was a nightmare, but quite enjoyed the mental workout of the cube test and the patterns test. I was happy to tell you that the executive board decided the remuneration policy of steel limited. I thought I had done well, especially in the numerical reasoning. I spent 4 hours on the test and preparation, so in total up to 5 hours.

I noted that you said that I would find out my success with in 4 weeks, these passed without any notice so I had given up on you. So I was very happy to get a call from you late in July, several weeks after the deadline.. I immediately dropped all my plans so I could come to Dublin with 48 hours notice even if the airfare cost me a fortune, (although not as much as if I had flown Aer Lingus). I very much enjoyed my day in the Radison and especially as for the first time in my life I got free refreshments from Aer Lingus. I found the interview challenging, but rightly so as I felt it did bring those with a passion for aviation for the fore. The written exercise and the group discussion also were executed very well. The 4 hours I spent in Dublin brings me up to 9 hours commitment to you.

I knew that my interview was not perfect, so I wasn’t expecting another call. So when you called in August I was overjoyed, especially as you had given me more notice this time! I used this time wisely, I read all your reports and researched your company inside out. I did think it strange that you ordered the A350 which can’t get out of Dublin Airport at maximum weight, I was very concerned with the frequency of strike ballots for industrial action and I fear for your future when Ryanair doesn’t have an incentive to keep you in business, but I pressed on regardless. I spent over 20 hours preparing for this interview bringing my total to 29. I also visited an optician for your eye tests and applied for the foreign police record you needed both at additional expense to me. I also made sure that the colour photocopies were done on the most technically advanced copier I could find..

I had visions of the head office building being a steel and glass, “Palace of the Air”, so I was disappointed on arrival. I did like the fact that the security guard seemed to know everyone and all the staff were friendly.

The interview itself was again quite challenging, I thought it a bit off that you asked me which airline I took to Dublin. I hope you appreciated my honesty. I was glad we got your broken down car restarted. After mastering the ancient laptop for the tests, I felt my visit to HOB had gone well.

I think it was at this point that things started to fall apart. You promised to let me know within 3 weeks the outcome, its now gone past this date. I call you up, you take my number but never call me back. I email you, get a read receipt but you never reply. Where did it all go wrong ?

Excluding my transport, I’ve spent over 30 hours on my application. I’ve promised you I would spend hundreds more on my training at a location of your choice anywhere around the world. I’ve spent hundreds of Euros on the process. I appreciate you are all very busy, but I suspect once 5pm, 6pm or whenever comes you go home and switch off, relax and enjoy the evening. I go home at night, check my emails every 5 minutes and wake up in the night wondering if anyone on boards.ie has new news and then cant get back to sleep. I have made preliminary arrangements, so that if you need to wisk me off to Jerez in a few weeks, I can go.

If truth be told, I have now left this process. If you did invite me back to Dublin I wouldn’t have the same passion as I did a few weeks ago. The final blow was finding out on facebook that you have appointed people to the October course. Even if you were to select me now for a January course, I would feel inferior to the Cadets on the October course.

I have learnt that in life, if you promise to do something and don’t then people think less of you. I have been through this process before at your British codeshare partner, however they honoured every commitment they made to us and have a very nice HQ to match. I didn’t make the final cut with them either but I think no less of them as a result.

I appreciate Aer Lingus has made a 2 million Euro commitment to finance the cadet program, but maybe if you could spare a few minutes to reply to emails and phone calls or even give the candidates a generic message with the current state of play – it would be much appreciated.

Yours faithfully,

CFM56

I feel we have been on a journey together, so I wanted to tell you my story.

Back in May, I was very pleased to see that you were recruiting for Cadets again. I filled out my form and updated my CV (1 hour) and was over the moon when you asked me to fill out the on line tests. I thought the tunnel test was a nightmare, but quite enjoyed the mental workout of the cube test and the patterns test. I was happy to tell you that the executive board decided the remuneration policy of steel limited. I thought I had done well, especially in the numerical reasoning. I spent 4 hours on the test and preparation, so in total up to 5 hours.

I noted that you said that I would find out my success with in 4 weeks, these passed without any notice so I had given up on you. So I was very happy to get a call from you late in July, several weeks after the deadline.. I immediately dropped all my plans so I could come to Dublin with 48 hours notice even if the airfare cost me a fortune, (although not as much as if I had flown Aer Lingus). I very much enjoyed my day in the Radison and especially as for the first time in my life I got free refreshments from Aer Lingus. I found the interview challenging, but rightly so as I felt it did bring those with a passion for aviation for the fore. The written exercise and the group discussion also were executed very well. The 4 hours I spent in Dublin brings me up to 9 hours commitment to you.

I knew that my interview was not perfect, so I wasn’t expecting another call. So when you called in August I was overjoyed, especially as you had given me more notice this time! I used this time wisely, I read all your reports and researched your company inside out. I did think it strange that you ordered the A350 which can’t get out of Dublin Airport at maximum weight, I was very concerned with the frequency of strike ballots for industrial action and I fear for your future when Ryanair doesn’t have an incentive to keep you in business, but I pressed on regardless. I spent over 20 hours preparing for this interview bringing my total to 29. I also visited an optician for your eye tests and applied for the foreign police record you needed both at additional expense to me. I also made sure that the colour photocopies were done on the most technically advanced copier I could find..

I had visions of the head office building being a steel and glass, “Palace of the Air”, so I was disappointed on arrival. I did like the fact that the security guard seemed to know everyone and all the staff were friendly.

The interview itself was again quite challenging, I thought it a bit off that you asked me which airline I took to Dublin. I hope you appreciated my honesty. I was glad we got your broken down car restarted. After mastering the ancient laptop for the tests, I felt my visit to HOB had gone well.

I think it was at this point that things started to fall apart. You promised to let me know within 3 weeks the outcome, its now gone past this date. I call you up, you take my number but never call me back. I email you, get a read receipt but you never reply. Where did it all go wrong ?

Excluding my transport, I’ve spent over 30 hours on my application. I’ve promised you I would spend hundreds more on my training at a location of your choice anywhere around the world. I’ve spent hundreds of Euros on the process. I appreciate you are all very busy, but I suspect once 5pm, 6pm or whenever comes you go home and switch off, relax and enjoy the evening. I go home at night, check my emails every 5 minutes and wake up in the night wondering if anyone on boards.ie has new news and then cant get back to sleep. I have made preliminary arrangements, so that if you need to wisk me off to Jerez in a few weeks, I can go.

If truth be told, I have now left this process. If you did invite me back to Dublin I wouldn’t have the same passion as I did a few weeks ago. The final blow was finding out on facebook that you have appointed people to the October course. Even if you were to select me now for a January course, I would feel inferior to the Cadets on the October course.

I have learnt that in life, if you promise to do something and don’t then people think less of you. I have been through this process before at your British codeshare partner, however they honoured every commitment they made to us and have a very nice HQ to match. I didn’t make the final cut with them either but I think no less of them as a result.

I appreciate Aer Lingus has made a 2 million Euro commitment to finance the cadet program, but maybe if you could spare a few minutes to reply to emails and phone calls or even give the candidates a generic message with the current state of play – it would be much appreciated.

Yours faithfully,

CFM56

Did you actually send this to them or are you putting it on here hoping they read it? Well written and repesents my views to a T, with the exception of the travelling from abroad, your story completely reflects mine and I would say many others.

You hit the nail on the head when you mention about feeling inferior to the October class, how can one not? The cadets on the October class had their contracts signed before some of us even had our interview done. For a National Carrier it is the poorest recruitment process I have ever seen. You think they would have the decency to let us know now, or even an update email if they are still reviewing candidates. I have lost a lot of respect for them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

The cadets on the October class had their contracts signed before some of us even had our interview done. For a National Carrier it is the poorest recruitment process I have ever seen. You think they would have the decency to let us know now, or even an update email if they are still reviewing candidates. I have lost a lot of respect for them also.

I'm just waiting to see how many cadets this year round are related to someone in Aerlingus??

Cheers, I have not emailed it. I suspect "the Power's that be" read this thread anyway..

I don't think its a great technical challenge to send the email either, I got sent an email reminding me to bring my log book before the HOB interview. I'm sure everyone else did too.

I will even it write it for them:

Option A (ie rejected)

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your recent attendance for interview for our Cadet Program.

We had an overwhelming response and a very limited number of places. Having given your application further consideration we regret to inform you that you have not made it to the final selection. Due to the number of applications we are unable to provide any feedback.

We congratulate you to making it so far into the process and suggest you monitor aerlingus.com for future vacancies as they arise.

Regards,

The Aer Lingus Recruitment Team

Option B (ie only selected October course)
    Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your recent attendance for interview for our Cadet Program.

As you may be aware there were Cadet courses commencing in October through to the New Year. Our priority has been to fill the first course (option "which were selected based on their immediate availability"??), we are now reviewing the candidates for the remaining courses. We have limited available slots with our psychological assessors, however we will be scheduling the successful candidates in the near future.

We expect to have all the selection completed by the 25th October 2013, when we will notify the unsuccessful candidates.

Thanks for your patience,

The Aer Lingus Recruitment Team

• Advertisement

Xpro wrote: »
    I'm just waiting to see how many cadets this year round are related to someone in Aerlingus??

I don't think this is fair to say at all. Related or not, everyone has to do the same aptitude tests and the same interviews. If they were not up to standard they wouldn't risk investing in them. The only way I can see it having an impact is if there were two equally good candidates then it might sway the decision, but they won't let a better candidate go for a weaker one with connections. They are a business after all. Every cadet will be there on merit and it's not fair to say otherwise.

The odds are that if a person was related to someone then they probably lived and breathed flying growing up so are more prepared for the reality of this job than anyone else.

*SNIP*

CFM56

I get where you're coming from on some points, like having to travel from abroad on such short notice for the group days, surely if they knew some people were abroad they could have phoned them first and offered them later dates to aviod last minute air-fares, so not so great planning there on EI's part.

In regard to the time you spent, I don't think it's fair to critisise them there, ev everyone who got to the panel stage would have spent a similar amount of time preparing, yet we all couldn't get in.

Having to bring a colour vision cert - an expense, but not much really, only €30 for most people, hardly something to complain about, but again for some people it could have been a pain.

The HOB, it's old, but it serves it's purpose, TBH, I could be bothered about how it looked on the outside, on the inside it was comfortable, and as you said, the security guard was very pleasant. The HOB does it's job, might not look pretty, but not something you could complain about, I'd rather they spent the €2m training cadets than refurbishing the outside of the building so it looked nice instead.

Asking you your airline does seem very off putting and a bit unprofessional,but depending on the context, it could well have been their attempt at a bit of small talk to get the conversation rolling. As for the price of EI being higher than the airline you flew with, well supply and demand, can't blame them for charging the highest price they can get away with, if they didn't they wouldn't be in business long. Although, then again, you might think that if there was a spare seat available on one of their flights they might have let you have it for free, so maybe some poor planning again there on their part.

As for feeling inferior to the October cadets, I kind of get where you're coming from, but from what I've heard, the October cadets were people who had university fees due, were being sent abroad by their work, were unemployed and ready to start immediately, or just people who did their interviews earlier on and were picked at that stage. Just because your interview came later or you didn't have an urgent need for them to get back to you, doesn't mean you should feel inferior. If you are picked, you'll be one of 20 picked out of over 2000, and even if you don't make it, you'll still be in the top 60/70 of 2,000, noting to feel inferior about, it's an amazing achievement. Just because you weren't the first 6 doesn't mean you're any lesser than them, just that circumstance played against you, or in favour of them.

We won't hear anything, until everyone has been picked, psyched, medical done and contract signed, until then, as far as EI are concerned, we're all in the process and all possible cadets. Don't lose hope yet.

I don't think he was giving out about the time he put in. He is upset (and rightly so) that he has dedicated a lot of time and money to this process and AL don't have the decency to spend 3-4 minutes writing him a quick mail.

Yer, I don't regret the investment in the time to prepare. I was just pointing out that it would be nice to get some of their time back for a quick update.

The HOB was tongue in cheek, I would very happily turn up there every day for 6 months for my ATPL/ Type Rating Ground School. The security guard was very friendly and everyone made a point of catching with him on the way in, which I think reflects very well on the Aer Lingus culture.

You seem to have the most up to date information Shamrock231. Do you know the number that have gone forward for the psychological interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CM175

I understand your POV, CFM56.
    It makes me smile, your sentence about travelling, I was still in Vietnam when I received the email. 48hours late, I was at the radisson blu with a lot of folks !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 icelandflyer

Do we know if this Monday call is true, do we know if it's for November and not January... what we do know is many of us are getting no feedback. The full 20 may have been chosen or January (10?) may not have even been looked at or contacted yet. Only HR know unfortunately and the ball is in their court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 doha

We'll let you know at the end of August

They said 9 weeks ago.

In the time since, I have committed to pay over £4000 in accommodation fees and £9000 in University tuition fees.

Having been given 3 days notice to fly from the Middle East to Dublin for the group interview, and then still waiting to hear from EI 5 weeks later than promised, to say I am frustrated is an understatement. The short notice was fine, it was not EI's problem that I was living in the Middle East, and I completely understand and appreciate the massive workload their HR department is having to deal with, but to be kept in the dark for such a large period of time is very disappointing.

That is not to say I would not be delighted to receive "the call" to progress to the next stage, and I would gladly write off my University expenses if it meant I would have the incredible opportunity to gain a place on a subsidised cadet program with EI, but I'm just frustrated with the lack of communication.

Seems like this week or next week latest we'll finally hear from Aer Lingus.

Someone one PPruNe had the following message in his voicemail from HR. I quote: 'We are still processing applicants and will be in contact in the coming days as we are having a round-up meeting twoard the end of the week'

Great to hear, now I can start getting nervous... :)

Anyone else hear anything yet? This waiting is becoming ridiculous. If they tell you a time frame they should stick to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement