Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

swearing on the bible in the workplace

• 07-05-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭

Without been too specific a friend told me they started work for the Revenue and before he did a number of employees were brought into a room and asked to swear on the bible that they won't use information gained here to there advantage outside.

Needless to say my friend refused to and so did a few others. I mean who swears on the bible in a 21st century workplace.

I thought the story was made up but it definetly wasnt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

MY GOD the pagan!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

In the private sector NDAs are signed in blood with a quill once owned by Aleister Crowley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

To get a promotion they have to eat the biscuit;)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

zerks wrote: »
    To get a promotion they have to eat the biscuit;)

I thought it was a Jaffa cake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I thought it was a Jaffa cake?

Do you have previous experience? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

rob316 wrote: »

Are you sure? What changed your mind?

When I started out in the civil service, we had to slash the palms of our hands with a dagger and swear a blood oath. In Klingon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jesus takes revenue data protection very seriously y'know, full of dole scroungers back then, sure weren't Mary and Joseph on the way to sign on when they had to stop in Bethlehem, she probably told the Romans that Joe wasn't even living with her and she having someone elses baby and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

I mean who swears on the bible in a 21st century workplace.

What if the Bible was on a Kindle? Bang up to date! Problem solved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

at least they did not have to swear on their mothers life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    When I started out in the civil service, we had to slash the palms of our hands with a dagger and swear a blood oath. In Klingon.

for the slash-your-palms-and-swear-in-klingon allowance, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

I mean who swears on the bible in a 21st century workplace.

Well, priests i'd imagine..

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DrArse

I swear on me tash its daycent hash..

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

zerks wrote: »
    Do you have previous experience? :p

With your missus? You'd better ask her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Do you have to swear on the bible in court or is that just in movies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Without been too specific a friend told me they started work for the Revenue and before he did a number of employees were brought into a room and asked to swear on the bible that they won't use information gained here to there advantage outside.

Needless to say my friend refused to and so did a few others. I mean who swears on the bible in a 21st century workplace.

Pretty common if your workplace is a courtroom.

I've had to provide expert testimony to court as part of my job on occasion and you need to swear in affidavits and when you give evidence. I think you can ask for some alternative if it really bothers you.
    For me it's no big deal, don't really go in for the religious stuff myself, so swearing on a bible doesn't mean anything for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I don't really see the outrage, who cares. I'd swear on the bible no problem, I could swear on an copy of "Big Jugs" for all I care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I wonder, what are the implications if you do so, then go and divulge something and then declare yourself as an athiest and the swearing is invalid?

Obviousy, in a court of law, you just have to take an oath full stop and you can be done for perjury if you lie regardless of your rleigion or lack thereof, but would the same thing qualify outside of court?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Do you have to swear on the bible in court or is that just in movies?

You do if you're a witness.There's also the option of a solemn affirmation if you're not religious though.(I think swearing on the Koran is also an option for Muslims,but don't hold me to that.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

If believing something is true were that simple then we wouldn't be having all of this "should I swear on the bible or not?" malarkey in the first place.

I don't know if I should applaud or facepalm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

i have taken the 'lords' name in vain but never the bibles. that just sounds silly

holy bible

yea doesn't have the same effect as saying jesus crist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

You do if you're a witness.There's also the option of a solemn affirmation if you're not religious though.(I think swearing on the Koran is also an option for Muslims,but don't hold me to that.)

All the courts in the Four Courts and the CCJ have bible, Koran and Torah. The Koran is usually in a green box.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Then again, could not trust an atheist as far you could thrown them, and given their rather trollish nature, that would not be very far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I've had to provide expert testimony to court as part of my job on occasion and you need to swear in affidavits and when you give evidence. I think you can ask for some alternative if it really bothers you.

In a legal setting, you can make an affirmation rather than swearing an oath and there would be no problem. Completely non-religious, Quakers have been doing it for centuries, and a lot of atheists or non-religious people do it now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

It could be worse, they could of been asked to swear on their Ma's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

For me it's no big deal, don't really go in for the religious stuff myself, so swearing on a bible doesn't mean anything for me.
    But surely you should be asked to swear to something that is important to you, or what's the point. If the religious stuff meant nothing to me, I wouldn't swear on the bible

(hopefully, I'm explaining myself right)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'd only swear on the bible if they could prove it was the word of god. If they couldn't, I'd swear on a pasta strainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

What difference does it make if you swear on a bible, lord of the rings trilogy or nothing at all? "Oh sorry, I cant tell you, I swore on a bible so if I say anything my head will explode"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Manach wrote: »
    Then again, could not trust an atheist as far you could thrown them, and given their rather trollish nature, that would not be very far.
    Trollish nature = not able to throw far... Are you calling atheists fat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Trollish nature = not able to throw far... Are you calling atheists fat?

We're all fat from eating too many babies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In court you have to swear on the bible: Hold it in your right hand and say "I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I shall give to the court in this case shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth." Then you say your name. That's based on judicium dei, or Divine Oath.

If you're not Christian, you get handed a piece of paper by the Court Registrar which you say out loud: "I, do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence that I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".

If you're not Catholic, you really shouldn't swear on the bible as, imo, defence/prosecution could have your evidence thrown out if they could prove that you're not a proper Catholic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭BlimpGaz

Atheists tend to like to pretend they are in a 'special minority' of reasonable individuals among fools. Such myths come as a direct result.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If you don't like the bible can you choose your own adventure?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement