Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who cuts the grass?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Find this strange, anyone else in Cork and what has youre experience been?

Every property I have ever rented the landlord has cut the grass and a mate was just telling me about how he has a Polish couple renting his property who are the best tennants ever and that they even insist on cutting the grass.

Id actually back out of renting a property where I was expected to cut the grass as I would immediately think the landlord was a bit of a cowboy who didnt know what they were doing. I guess its just different in different parts of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

so if a LL had 10 properties you expect him to spend every sunny day cutting grass and disposing of it?

Makes no sense. they will pay someone else to do it and add the cost to the rent.

So its really an issue of the tenant saving money on their rent and having a bit more privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I rent and I wouldn't want to be seeing my LL around my home every week during the summer. I'm a grown adult and can cut the lawn myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

When I was renting I wanted to cut the garden, it was a fairly sizable garden (about 1/3 of an acre) but the landlord insisted that it was his responsibility and came around every weekend / second weekend to cut it; took a couple of hours.

BostonB wrote: »
    so if a LL had 10 properties you expect him to spend every sunny day cutting grass and disposing of it?

Makes no sense. they will pay someone else to do it and add the cost to the rent.

So its really an issue of the tenant saving money on their rent and having a bit more privacy.

Hardly. It makes as much sense as any other expense the landlord has - plumber, electrician etc. I expect a landlord to be professional and to pay someone to mow the lawn, fix anything thats faulty,replace anything broken etc. Obviously having a professional landlord who does all this will be more expensive but in my view worth it. In my current accomodation in 4 and a half years Ii have yet to even witness the lawn being cut, always while im at work.

As a tennant I could save money by living in a bedsit with a hole in the roof but im willing to pay more to get a satisfactory standard of accomodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Hardly. It makes as much sense as any other expense the landlord has - plumber, electrician etc. I expect a landlord to be professional and to pay someone to mow the lawn, fix anything thats faulty,replace anything broken etc. Obviously having a professional landlord who does all this will be more expensive but in my view worth it. In my current accomodation in 4 and a half years Ii have yet to even witness the lawn being cut, always while im at work.

As a tennant I could save money by living in a bedsit with a hole in the roof but im willing to pay more to get a satisfactory standard of accomodation.

You can equally argue that maintaining the garden is equivalent to keeping the inside of the house tidy. Would you expect the landlord to do your hoovering?

I am not sure how you equate mowing the lawn to fixing a pipe.

You can equally argue that maintaining the garden is equivalent to keeping the inside of the house tidy. Would you expect the landlord to do your hoovering?

I am not sure how you equate mowing the lawn to fixing a pipe.

I see both as maintenance.

I suppose it just depends on what you view the norm as being. In my experience (cork city and county) the landlord has always been responsible for any gardening, repairs, replacements etc.

The only maintenance I have always been responsible for would be drains as far as I can remember. Obviously I would always do the little things myself.

Anyone else from Cork and whats youre experience with who does lawn?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    ...As a tennant I could save money by living in a bedsit with a hole in the roof but im willing to pay more to get a satisfactory standard of accomodation.

Well thats it entirely. The tenant makes that choice.

In the case of the OP, where the LL expects the tenant to pay for it. Hes obviously wrong. But the alternative is the LL raises the rent at the next review to cover the cost. If the tenant does it, or pays someone else to do, they control the cost.

whippet wrote: »
    When I was renting I wanted to cut the garden, it was a fairly sizable garden (about 1/3 of an acre) but the landlord insisted that it was his responsibility and came around every weekend / second weekend to cut it; took a couple of hours.

LOL. That sounds professional to you?

Amateur Gardener, then Amateur LL more like.

Advertisement