Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beijing

Options
  • 07-05-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Could be on the way to work and live in Beijing. Does anyone have any info or advice on life here?thanks for any advice or help!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Do you have other options? The pollution is an absolute nightmare and would have consequences for your health. Just Google it, lots of stories like this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It could well cause health issues in later life. Be safe and avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LanguageLune

Thats bull****. While Beijing is not the the Swiss alps, the pollution is not that bad. Living in the countryside, drinking spring water and eating vegetables is always healthier than living in a big city. I do not think either of the posters above have actualy been to Beijing....
    If you decide to go to Beijing, decide on whether you like Chinese culture, the big differences in life style, a huge city etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Karlrove wrote: »
    Could be on the way to work and live in Beijing. Does anyone have any info or advice on life here?thanks for any advice or help!

Come to Shanghai, it's better, cleaner (well, a little cleaner vis-a-vis pollution), and there's probably more job opportunities here. What job did you apply for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Thats bull****. While Beijing is not the the Swiss alps, the pollution is not that bad. Living in the countryside, drinking spring water and eating vegetables is always healthier than living in a big city. I do not think either of the posters above have actualy been to Beijing....

What a bizzare response. Creepy even. Probably from some drone at the People's Ministry of Information right?

And we're supposed to take your word for it that the pollution in Beijing "is not that bad"?? Seriously? DO you have anything at all to back up that claim?

The pollution is epidemic. Okay so you doubt that either of us have ever been there but do you doubt google as well?

Okay you may not get sick on a two week holiday (avoid road tunnels though unless you want a carbon monoxide migraine the rest of the day!), bringing children there to live would be putting them at risk.

Remember information in China is not open and free. If "they" want to tell you there's no pollution and the air is alpine fresh then they will and nobody can refute it. There's no open press in China.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-18/beijing-tells-residents-to-reduce-time-outdoors-on-air-pollution.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/20/world/la-fg-china-escape-20130620

I do have a tendency to believe my own eyes more than google yes. As an example what about two pictures, one I tood yesterday on the way to school and one I took today in the morning from my classroom (in the Beijing CBD), both attached. And information in China is controlled yes. However, I live in Beijing and what I see, breath and experience is not controlled by anyone whatsoever.
    Avoid tunnels while in Beijing? You have not only not been to Beijing, you have also no common sense. Now I could give you a bit of data about life expectancy (rose by about 3 months per year for the last 20 years in Beijing), but some people obviously believe anyone who does not hate China/Beijing or living there must be working for the Chinese secret service....

Ok, enough with the extremism, but when people give wrong advice about things they know only from "google" then it gets my blood boiling.

Alright, cooled down now. Sorry for the rant.

Back to the topic and an attempt of a more balanced approach. Yes Beijing has air pollution and yes I am pretty sure it has an effective on people's (including mine) health. I for example do not play outdoor sports on a bad pollution day (which can happen a few times a month). At the same time air pollution is nowhere close to as bad as is being reported in some (not all) of the international press and probably by extension google - why you get these out of propotion reports is anyone's guess. Beijing also has a beautiful old downtown (some torn down unfortunately, plenty still standing though), an amazing arts & music scene, 54 universities, 1.4 million university students, some of the world's best food, the world's second longest subway system (Shanghai is number one, London and New York are three and four), drinks are cheap, taxis even cheaper, Chinese in general very friendly towards foreigners and it is the most exciting and lively city I have ever been to (and I have been to quite a few).
    I could equally give you a list of things that are not so great in Beijing, air pollution would be one of them. Make up your own mind, I love living here (and feel very healthy, as seem the two 90 year old guys who play Chinese chess downstairs from my building every evening). Living in a boring city would have a bigger effect on mine, but that's just a personal preference.

Caonima wrote: »
    Come to Shanghai, it's better, cleaner (well, a little cleaner vis-a-vis pollution), and there's probably more job opportunities here. What job did you apply for?
    well, at least a post from somone who clearly has been to Beijing (and Shanghai). Yes, the air is a bit better in Shanghai (mainly because it rains all the time and Beijing is practicaly in the desert with almost no rain, except July and August) and yes for a lot of expats are easier to find there, though I thought the poster already had a job offer? I think Beijing is a lot more fun, cultural, and interesting than Shanghai though - but that's a personal preference. Beijing is more traditional Chinese, Shanghai more international metropolitan. I prefer tradtional - but again thats a personal preference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

well, at least a post from somone who clearly has been to Beijing (and Shanghai). Yes, the air is a bit better in Shanghai (mainly because it rains all the time and Beijing is practicaly in the desert with almost no rain, except July and August) and yes for a lot of expats are easier to find there, though I thought the poster already had a job offer? I think Beijing is a lot more fun, cultural, and interesting than Shanghai though - but that's a personal preference. Beijing is more traditional Chinese, Shanghai more international metropolitan. I prefer tradtional - but again thats a personal preference.

Tomatoes, tomatoes, I guess. Having spent time in both places, and currently living in Shanghai going on 4 years now, I much prefer it here. Beijing was fun and interesting, had lots of things for the homesick at heart (foreigner areas like Sanlitun and Yangren streets etc.) and is obviously a very Chinese city.

However, it's downsides can be a little off-putting. How diffuse the city is for one thing... it's just not very convenient trying to get from one area of the city to the other, even with the metro. Where Shanghai is sprawling, Beijing is a bit of an unwieldy mess. However, both cities during rush hours can be equally taxing. That said, having lived in Dublin, with its frankly laughable "public transport", I tend to be more forgiving of the transport here. One travel card for metros, taxis, buses - no fuss. Prepare for the crush, though, OP :D

I agree with what you said about the cultural aspect of Beijing - it's 100% more authentically Chinese than Shanghai (or Hong Kong - a city which I adore). Beijing has most of the big attractions, like Tienanmen square, the NAMOC art gallery (opened by Mao himself), Quan Ju De restaurant (famous for their Peking duck, bit pricey, tough), and obviously you can travel outside the city to the Great Wall. These are always great draws for foreigners, and I'm sure the OP, Karlrove, will really enjoy them.

But Shanghai feels like the biggest small community in the world. The city is a pleasure to walk around, the weather most of the year is good (doesn't rain as much as you think, LanguageLune), has a pretty wide expat community, who, despite being a little precious at times, are generally nice, and has almost any amenity you can think of. Whatever you did back in Ireland, you can be sure to find it here. It's also great for going out, with pubs and clubs and outside bars and other wonderful places to go.

To address the OP's original question a little further, though, I'll add a few things, and I'm sure everyone here can chip in a little to avoid this thread becoming an argument - let's prep Karlrove a little for what could be the biggest culture shock of his life :)

Language: Much easier to learn Putonghua (standard Chinese language) in Beijing. You get a pretty distilled version of Chinese there, as it's north China and the most standard language there. Shanghai has many, many migrant workers and also the garbled Shanghai dialect to contend with. They are definite obstacles to learning because you're never sure quite what you're listening to wherever you go.

Money: Depending on your job (and maybe you can tell us what you'll be doing, OP), the salaries in Beijing are pretty good, as with most of the bigger cities here. But, pretty unanimously, Shanghai will have higher salaries for most positions, although the halcyon days of astronomical expat packages are a thing of the past. Irrespective of what job you have in Beijing, though, you can expect to live pretty comfortably. It's a far cry from Ireland - even on the most modest salary (and probably either a free gaff or a gaff allowance), you can go out each weekend, go out for dinner a couple of times a week, buy clothes, shoes, whatever you need, and still have money to save. Sending money home can be a pain in the arse, though, but if you need to know more, you can probably ask here.

Expat scene: Easy to find, and I'm sure Languagelune knows the lay of the land there. Failing that, find a bulletin board for Beijing (there's lots of them) or pull up the Beijing entry for Wikitravel and you'll find what you need. But as I said earlier, if you want foreign faces, you can always go to Sanlitun road. Avoid the drugs, though, as there's a lot of peddlers there. If a copper catches you with some drugs, your ass is in big trouble. However, if you feel like a smoke or whatever, be discreet.

Pollution: A final word on this. It can be pretty grim, and even the domestic newspapers are having a field-day on it (you'll see the word PM2.5 bandied around a lot), but the fact is that if you're only going to be there for a few years, then it's really not a big deal unless you are an asthmatic or something. If you get a cold or a chest infection, too, it can make life difficult for you. It's nasty and makes you cough, but in the short-term it's no worse than tainted food.

Get back to us OP and fill in the blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Beijing is OK and a good experience.
    Lots of food to try and history to the place.
    Also, as Chinese people go, Beijingers are relatively friendly and personable.
    Things are cheap compared to Ireland
    You must speak Chinese to get by (this may be considered a pro for some), and as mentioned above it is also Mandarin in BJ so that makes it a but more straight forward.

However problems include
    - Pollution is really very very bad, and does affect your life there. Long term will mess up your health, but short term you will get more colds, a few of my friends there suffered broncitis
    - Traffic is chaotic, the metro is extremely crowded
    - Extreme cold in winter, i.e. all winter
    - Extreme dry heat in summer
    - Spring & Autumn don't really exist
    - Some Chinese behaviour would be considered extremely rude by our norms, so you need patience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement