Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending big amount of money home

Options
  • 07-05-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi, living and working in Asia. I'm looking to send home a few grand every month to an Irish account. I was told by revenue the country I'm in is fine for sending money back from,as in,it's not taxable again-as it's being taxed in Asia. However, if I send 5k home..will the fraud squad or money laundering unit get onto me, by the way I work for a reputable company! If anyone has any knowledge on this I'd love to hear from you. Thanks, karl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Karlrove wrote: »
    Hi, living and working in Asia. I'm looking to send home a few grand every month to an Irish account. I was told by revenue the country I'm in is fine for sending money back from,as in,it's not taxable again-as it's being taxed in Asia. However, if I send 5k home..will the fraud squad or money laundering unit get onto me, by the way I work for a reputable company! If anyone has any knowledge on this I'd love to hear from you. Thanks, karl

The bank it goes into may ask the source of funds, you simply show them the source (bank statement/payslips) and remind them of tax treaty with the country you are in and Ireland and there will be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The real question is do you really want to be depositing large sums into an irish bank?!

Consider a more stable country in the core of the Eurozone if possible is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

open a HSBC account or Citibank Gold account (with EUR and USD accounts). then you can access the money globally and pay nothing extra. Why move the money to irish bank..no real benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Karlrove

I own a property and was going to send the money back to reduce mortgage...what you think?

What sort of mortgage do you have? What interest rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Karlrove

Big enough,bout €320k..at 4.6%. Why do you ask

Because you won't beat 4.6% on deposit anywhere in the Eurozone so it does make sense to pay that loan down rather than deposit it anywhere. I wasn't asking for the amount outstanding by the way, just what type of mortgage (tracker, variable etc,) ;)

These things are always personal decisions but if I were in your shoes I'd be paying that mortgage down. You should keep at least a few bob in cash though for emergencies.

Advertisement