Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship while doing Masters?

Options
  • 07-05-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

I've been offered an internship at a company that I'd absolutely love to work in. The problem is, I don't finish my Masters until August and I would be working up to 30 hours or more with the company.

The summer project for the Master's is group based which is the real issue. I don't want to be letting down the other team members as I imagine I'll be missing a fair amount of meetings and trying to play catch up. It would be unfair on them if my work isn't up to standard.

On the other hand this company is in an industry I'd wanted to get into since starting college and I don't know if I'd get an opportunity to get my foot in the door after completing the Master's. Along with this I might just pull off doing both as I've been working part time for the past few weeks with little impact on my college work.

Any thoughts/advice/tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

Absolutely go for it. If its what you've always wanted then you need to do it.

When your group meet for the summer be clear that you will be working 30 hours a week. Let them know when you will be free for meetings and agree at the start what the team norms will be with work, deadlines, communication etc.

i dont know if you'll be doing 4 x 7.5 hour shifts or 5 x 6 hour shift but either one leaves a decent enough amount of time to work on your group stuff if you manage your time well.

Also be clear with the firm that you still have college work so there's no misunderstandings etc. Best of luck, hopefully it leads somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

macsauce wrote: »
    Absolutely go for it. If its what you've always wanted then you need to do it.

When your group meet for the summer be clear that you will be working 30 hours a week. Let them know when you will be free for meetings and agree at the start what the team norms will be with work, deadlines, communication etc.

i dont know if you'll be doing 4 x 7.5 hour shifts or 5 x 6 hour shift but either one leaves a decent enough amount of time to work on your group stuff if you manage your time well.

Also be clear with the firm that you still have college work so there's no misunderstandings etc. Best of luck, hopefully it leads somewhere.

Thanks for the good advice but I decided not to take it. It would have ended up being around 40 hours per week, which would made doing the summer project(lot of field work involved) near impossible.

Such a shame, seeing as the organisation seemed brilliant and would've suited me perfectly I think. :(

Advertisement