Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Mortgage Application - Married

Options
  • 07-05-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there

I wanted to ask if banks/building societies give out sole mortgages to married persons. I am researching mortgage options at the moment and because my husband has a poor credit history I wanted to apply myself on my own income. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

TBH - once you say that you are married, they will want to know about your husband. Don't think this is an easy request, although I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Most banks will insist on a mortgage for a family home being in joint names, they will want to know income and outgoings of spouse as these are relevant to the application so unfortunately it is unlikely you will find a bank willing to lend to you solely for family home.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

Bad news is they will want to know about both of you. I learned this to my detriment three months ago. My husband applied for the mortgage as I already have one as well as several other loans, all of which are up to date. They admitted he earned enough to pay the mortgage but refused him once I was taken into account

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

We tried the same however they just wouldn't look at us even with only my earnings and loan in his name due to his credit history.

I believe the issue relates to your husband would have a right to the family home despite not being on title.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beanie13

thanks for the replies.....after speaking with my second mortgage adviser I was told it was the criteria of the financial regulator(he woke up) that a married couple apply for a mortgage jointly as if the house was repossessed at any point, my husband would have rights to the home etc. It's crap to be honest as I work for the state and thought I was safe enough to apply solely...yesterdays mortgage officer jokingly advised me to get a divorce!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement