Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill hotel or Clayton?

Options
  • 07-05-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Looking at booking a few nights in either Salthill hotel or Clayton in mid July for myself,wife and infant son.Both are around same price,only going for room only.Which would ye recommend?Leaning towards Salthill cos of location but is the hotel itself nice?Good grub,nice pool etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

My choice would deffo be the Salthill hotel. Admittedly I haven't stayed in the Clayton overnight but have been there during the day versus staying in the Salthill hotel. From a location perspective you are much closer to the prom and the City itself. Leisure facilities are excellent and rooms/food great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Cheers,was thinking that alright.Only going room only so is there decently priced places in Salthill for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Salthill. Hands down.
    toby2111 wrote: »
    Cheers,was thinking that alright.Only going room only so is there decently priced places in Salthill for breakfast/lunch/dinner?
    Plenty - there are none near the clayton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Definitely Salthill hotel

plenty of places in salthill for food and kid friendly. You're also right on th beach, prom and here's a regular bus into town.

by the Clayton there's roundabouts and industrial estates.

Great,Salthill it is so!Is there a spa in Salthill hotel?Doesn't look like it from their website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

Great,Salthill it is so!Is there a spa in Salthill hotel?Doesn't look like it from their website

Not a spa, as such but http://www.salthillhotel.com/fitness-gyms-galway

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Good facilities in the Salthill. Would be my choice

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Salthill Hotel for sure.

There's a gym and swimming pool anyway.

Word of warning: The Salthill Hotel does a brisk trade in functions, weddings, concerts, etc so request a room that is a distance from the bars. It's a pretty big hotel so I'm sure they will oblige.

I was at a school reunion there last year and they bent over backwards to accommodate our needs. We were also served until 5am...!

The Galway Bay Hotel is next door to it if you want to compare. Either way, they are both established large family friendly hotels with pools etc.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Salthill Hotel for sure.

There's a gym and swimming pool anyway.
    I'll

Word of warning: The Salthill Hotel does a brisk trade in functions, weddings, concerts, etc so request a room that is a distance from the bars. It's a pretty big hotel so I'm sure they will oblige.
    Galway bay hotel way too expensive for me! Thanks for advice re:Salthill hotel , I'll ask for quieter room so. We'll be staying from a Tuesday to Saturday in mid July so hopefully the Friday will be the only noisy night!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McTigs wrote: »
    Definitely Salthill hotel

plenty of places in salthill for food and kid friendly. You're also right on th beach, prom and here's a regular bus into town.

by the Clayton there's roundabouts and industrial estates.

And KFC. How could you forget this bastion of Galway's culineary scene!

+ Dunnes stores, and a daytime cafe and a few other shops.

OP, they're both out of town. The Clayton has a far better bus service, but the Salthill is beside a beach. Presumably you want to get out and enjoy the place, not just stay in a hotel room. On that basis, I'd take the Salthill. But be aware, it's July in Galway - nowhere will be quiet, on any day of the week.

• Advertisement

Yeh,we've got a car so will explore the area and hang out on the promenade,weather permitting.Is there any free/cheap parking in or around city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Bethlehem in Ballybritt is close enough to the Clayton and is very good.

Would probably go with Salthill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Stayed in the Clayton recently and found it great. Had stayed in the Meyrick the previous time and will never stay there again. If you shop in Heatons, they have a website where you can book a lot of hotels at a reduced price by using a code on a discount voucher you can get in store. If you pay €30 per night in the Clayton you can upgrade to the 4th floor rooms and have some more space for yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeh,we've got a car so will explore the area and hang out on the promenade,weather permitting.Is there any free/cheap parking in or around city centre?

No.

Catch the bus if you want to go into town. Cheaper than parking, and far less stressful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Numbers111

attended two weddings at the Salthill hotel in past year and someone told me receivers were allegedly running it, not sure how true it is as many hotels are being run that way now probably, including the clayton, The food at the Salthill hotel was awful on both occasions, as one wag remarked "it must have been the accountants that cooked it"

Get the 401 bus from outside the door of the Salthill Hotel (and ease your parking woes) and get off at Quay street or Eyre Square.... have a few scoops. The return bus trip is a bit longer (because it waits at a terminus at Pearse Stadium) so if the weather is good, get off on the main street in Salthill and it's only a 500 meter walk along the seafront. There's a good choice of restaurants (Asian, Italian, Indian, Chinese and all the rest) so you will have a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Numbers111 wrote: »
    The food at the Salthill hotel was awful on both occasions, as one wag remarked "it must have been the accountants that cooked it"
    Interesting, I'll probably be attending an event there soon. Hopefully the food will be good.

Yeh,I heard food was decent in Salthill Hotel,hopefully it will be cos I booked a few nights in July!Any recommendations for restaurants in Salthill for lunch/dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's lots of places in Salthill for either, I like rustic food so often go to KRCMA or Galleon.
    Once there you'll find plenty of places around Salthill and town.
    Read this and this first, a lot of places already mentioned therein.

Cheers biko,had a quick look through them,great tips there!I'll jot down some of them a few days before my trip into the west!

• Advertisement

Coco's is very near Salthill Hotel and it is excellent for light lunch. Further down, I suggest The Oslo, The Galleon, Lohan's and Gourmet Tart company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Looks like you will be around for a bit of the Arts Festival as well so there should be plenty going on around town. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

Try Blackcat for breakfast - A1

Advertisement