Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

• 07-05-2013 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

Newstalk twitter says he's gonna retire- crews outside OT

Who will be the new Manchester Utd Manager? 415 votes

Joachim Löw
    0%
    Jupp Heynckes
    0%
    Corcs001Aenaesmarno21KingJamsie 4 votes
    Jose Mourinho
    0%
    VokessandtriceroBeefy78 4 votes
    Manuel Pellegrini
    30%
    tibormike65Giblets8nLudo[Deleted User]dougalCivilServantCool_CMmada999The Rooster20 Times 20 TimesbestyBrendygggustafochopperbyrnedeisedevilyoucancallmealMick ShrimptonRavelleman 127 votes
    David Moyes
    1%
    FearDarkinmydayDarkglassesben.schlomoPopTartsJames__10 6 votes
    Jürgen Klopp
    60%
    SickBoygandalfFenixDont be at yourselfBounty HunterPepe LeFritsPalefaceSeanehPaulwNeVeRWashoutDempseyChucky the treehusseyDampsquidKoldcelticfcBacchusgimmickweemcd 251 votes
    Other
    5%
    davehey79Shaque attackjemironictoastermiralizehighgiant1985happyoutscanacer911[Deleted User]jamesbereBeastydeano546homolumoPinturicchioHandy11TimeToShineuser2011ScummyManbaroneLocal_Chap 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Be hilarious if they appointed Mourinho! Seriously though I hope it's bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

OffTheBallNT
    Is it just speculation or is Alex Ferguson about to retire? Talking to @MiguelDelaney about it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Everton have called an EGM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

expect trouble with that thread title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Meh, probably just another airline deal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

expect trouble with that thread title

Especially if there are any teachers of English reading. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp
    efb wrote: »
    Newstalk twitter says he's gonna retire- crews outside OT

That tweet was firmly tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Dat grammar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Jürgen Klopp
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Meh, probably just another airline deal.

:pac:

I doubt Fergie would announce his retirement now, and in this style?

OMG maybe we finally signed Sneijder?!?!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Jürgen Klopp
    Aidric wrote: »
    That tweet was firmly tongue in cheek.

@TelegraphSport 4 mins
    Alex Ferguson is understood to be giving serious consideration to ending his 26-year reign as Manchester United manager. More follows #mufc

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Telegraph Sport @TelegraphSport
    Alex Ferguson is understood to be giving serious consideration to ending his 26-year reign as Manchester United manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

He probably heard that next year was Liverpool's year and just couldnt deal with it.

happy? (happier)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    I doubt it very much that there is any truth in it. You can be almost certain that someone will work under h im for a year unless it is in fact Jose! I could see Fergie getting the stair lift to a director position with jose down pitch side.

I'm battling with this making sense or not to me though. Like, I feel fergie will want to give it another year in the champions league and just try snatch one more...

The strange thing is, it feels like it could be the high note to end on, but also feels like its not high enough for a manager the stature of ferguson...its hard for me to get those words out for many reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

This news is making me feel uneasy. Can't imagine Fergie not running Utd. Hope it's not true though I suspect there's something in this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10042798/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-considering-retiring-as-Manchester-United-manager-before-end-of-the-week.html

Jürgen Klopp
    El Spearo wrote: »
    I doubt it very much that there is any truth in it. You can be almost certain that someone will work under h im for a year unless it is in fact Jose!

That would be a terrible idea. No chance of it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jürgen Klopp
    And Kenny Jackett stepped down today too. The plot thickens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    Unlikely to be true but if it is I really do hope they replace him with David Moyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Please be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Any other sources? This is pretty unbelievable if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jürgen Klopp
    Telegraph Sport @TelegraphSport
    Alex Ferguson is understood to be giving serious consideration to ending his 26-year reign as Manchester United manager sometime in the future

I bet they've omitted that part just to stir the pot. Cheap tactics from them..

please don't be true :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp
    @TelegraphSport 4 mins
    Alex Ferguson is understood to be giving serious consideration to ending his 26-year reign as Manchester United manager. More follows #mufc

Just seen that. From the Telegraph article:
    With large amounts of money wagered on Tuesday morning on Everton manager David Moyes leaving Goodison Park for Old Trafford this summer, bookmakers dramatically cut the odds on the 50-year-old due to intelligence that bets had been placed on the basis of strong information.

Interesting but I'm still not swayed. I've always been strong on Moyes taking over when SAF stands down though so from that point of view I'm aligned with this rumour. :)

And Kenny Jackett stepped down today too. The plot thickens.

Kenny for United.....or maybe Fergie's off to Millwall......:pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ferguson had appeared to brush aside the prospect of standing down this summer when he insisted in his programme notes prior to Sunday’s Old Trafford defeat against Chelsea that, "I certainly don’t have any plans at the moment to walk away from what I believe will be something special".

Ferguson said: "This team of champions is not going away - we are here for the long ride.

"We will get better and if we apply ourselves in our normal fashion, I see our 20th league title as nothing but the start of another decade of success.

The only quotes in the article that are relevant, and very much point towards him staying. Nothing story imo.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Mark Ogden is a terrible journalist so I really wouldn't be giving much weight to what he says.

That said, Ferguson retiring wouldn't surprise me a whole lot. It's a known fact that when he does retire, he's going to do it in a way that won't affect United's season. So if he doesn't do it now, he will do it sometime like this in the future (at the end of a season or when Utd's season is effectively over)

He did say this a few days ago, which casts doubt on tonight's reports:
    "I don't have any plans to walk away from what I believe will be something special and worth being around to see."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22417105

Who knows I suppose.

Dean Saunders to United I reckon.

Jürgen Klopp
    This is like the North Korea news....you watch waiting for something to happen, but part of you really hopes its a damp squib. Although I support LFC, or maybe because I support LFC it'll be really strange see him step down. Maybe I wanted him to be there to see LFC rise again, but I'd say he'll be drinking prune juice for sure by then.

• Advertisement

Jürgen Klopp
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Dean Saunders to United I reckon.

Makes sense. I've heard Wolves didn't want to stand in his way after all he's done for the club, this would seem to justify that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jürgen Klopp
    Ferguson is making shapes over the playing budget for next season imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I won't sleep tonight now either. :(

Since it's clear that efb wasn't actually trying to get a rise, I'll let this thread continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Manuel Pellegrini
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Gonna stick my neck out here, I reckon SAF will announce his retirement at the end of this season, he's always said since the last debacle, that he wouldnt announce it before he goes.

He's won us the league back, IF we fail to win it next year he's gonna feel compelled to stay yet another season to win it back.

I also reckon his close friend Jose will be taking over, again just a feeling, after what he said last night and his behaviour when we met in the CL

A post of mine from last week in the Man Utd thread

It's totally believable that he's gonna step down, i wouldn't be surprised at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Manuel Pellegrini
    Alex Mcleish is available.

Right, the title was a cheeky nod to previous titles not any slight on SAF.

If Fergie does retire though, AW becomes the EPL's longest serving current manager.

Is there a trophy for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    Good timing with Rafa being available in the summer. Now that would be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Manuel Pellegrini
    Moyes will be the death of United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Manuel Pellegrini

Nah man, I'd rather King Kenny :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jürgen Klopp
    Fergie was at the Wigan match tonight
    BJsLtetCAAAwuvN.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

Get Roy Keano on the job

• Advertisement

PaurGasm wrote: »
    Get Roy Keano on the job

City fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Nah man, I'd rather King Kenny :P

We'd only go for decent managers

/runs

Jürgen Klopp
    Honest to god question.

Are United supporters concerned that Fergie has created an average squad which is successful because of Fergie? And consequently concerned about is possible exit bring the club down a few pegs?

I cannot deny the sheer dominance of United in the league, but also in my mind is always that thought that Fergie is a large part of it. Sure there are world class players, but there are a lot of average players that Fergie seems to get the absolute best from.

I don't want this to appear as a snide remark, but is there concern that Fergie leaving will lead to the downfall of a simply magnificent United era?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

PaurGasm wrote: »
    Get Roy Keano on the job

And DO'L as his sidekick:D.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Manuel Pellegrini
    I said this in the United thread, but I'll say it here too.

He started at United 5 months before I was born. I have known no other manager in my life. A huge part of the fear then is a fear of the unknown.

I'd be fascinated, for example, to see what Jose would do. And when he goes, I'll be excited to get behind his replacement. But I am terrified of what life will be without him at United simply because I know no different.

Announcement expected soon, has no-one told SSN?

El Spearo wrote: »
    Honest to god question.

Are United supporters concerned that Fergie has created an average squad which is successful because of Fergie? And consequently concerned about is possible exit bring the club down a few pegs?

I cannot deny the sheer dominance of United in the league, but also in my mind is always that thought that Fergie is a large part of it. Sure there are world class players, but there are a lot of average players that Fergie seems to get the absolute best from.

I don't want this to appear as a snide remark, but is there concern that Fergie leaving will lead to the downfall of a simply magnificent United era?

Great teams are because of great managers. Be afraid. Ut wont be easy replace fergie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp
    Please let it be true. Let his reign of terror be over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Thread and replies are total rubbish,you's must not have a lot to be doing with your selves.

But enjoy the rubbish posted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement