Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Jürgen Klopp
    How perfect to end on exactly 1500 games in charge when they play west brom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Manuel Pellegrini
    Bubblefett wrote: »
    Boyfriend woke me up as soon as it broke on sky sports news, absolutely thrilled :D
    The League will be far more interesting next year. He was a great man and a power in the football world, but he really was all that made that team successful. I really think they'll fall apart without him.
    Bring on next season :D:D:D
    It'll be these types of comments that will have people eating their words next season.
    Not because I am saying United will continue to be as successful as they once were, but because people will realise that football without Fergie is alot less boring than it was with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Manuel Pellegrini
    This is a funny topic as a quick glance at the PP odds show, there are not many plausible candidates but a lot famous names at huge odds. I guess Utd could go for someone who is young talented but essentially unproven but I don't see it.

Joachim Löw

Jupp heynckes

Jose Mourinho

Manuel Pellegrini

David Moyes

Jürgen Klopp

AN Other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mourinhio would destroy United. Haha. Look at the mess he has on his hands at Real. I hope he gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Jürgen Klopp
    This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

murpho999 wrote: »
    In all honestly you don't know that.

Look at the legacy he's leaving behind.
    Team as champions.
    Strong youth structure.
    Money to strengthen.

They said the same years ago when Shankly left LFC and they only got stronger.

Fair point but in my opinion their players are not where the strength of that team lies, it's all been down to his man management. But sure we'll see what happens ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jürgen Klopp
    mike65 wrote: »
    This is a funny topic as a quick glance at the PP odds show, there are not many plausible candidates but a lot famous names at huge odds. Iguess Utd could go for someone who is young talented but essentially unproven but I don't see it.

Joachim Löw

Jupp heynckes

Jose Mourinho

Manuel Pellegrini

David Moyes

Jürgen Klopp

AN Other

My money's on Moyes. Don't see any surprises unless they pull Mourinho.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jürgen Klopp
    No poll................BOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Roy Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jürgen Klopp
    So a quarte of a century in charge and he gives them 10 days notice?!!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Mourinhio would destroy United. Haha. Look at the mess he has on his hands at Real. I hope he gets it.

I have to say this could be a possibility. He hasn't exactly left a great legacy at any of his previous clubs, and the trend is continuing at Real.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Manuel Pellegrini

You think this hasn't been known internally for a while? You don't think the hip surgery was the first sign of the decision?

Manuel Pellegrini
    A. It's the end of the season, they have 8 weeks to hire someone new before pre-season. Hardly 10 days
    B. He would have known this for a while, he would have told them first. No way is it Fergies style to spring this on the Board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Other
    Voted who I want - Klopp but I think it's Mourinho, going too make us even more hated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jürgen Klopp

He put the club on long term notice before, it wasnt a good idea at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wow, fall asleep early and this happens when I wake up :eek:

My criticism of him has been growing in the last 2 years but would have loved another season. Puts a lot of pressure on his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Manuel Pellegrini
    David Moyes?

Really?

If i were a United fan i wouldn't be very happy if Moyes took over.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Moyes please! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Wonder if Pep Guardiola has a clause in his new contract.

:pac:

Manuel Pellegrini
    Liam O wrote: »
    My criticism of him has been growing in the last 2 years but would have loved another season. Puts a lot of pressure on his replacement.
    How could you criticise him more in the last 2 years? Pushed a better team all the way last season and walked the title this year??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/25/sir-alex-ferguson-retirement-date

Seems he knew last year. And remember 2 years ago when there were massive rumours of Moyes being sounded out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    A. It's the end of the season, they have 8 weeks to hire someone new before pre-season. Hardly 10 days
    B. He would have known this for a while, he would have told them first. No way is it Fergies style to spring this on the Board.

Make no mistake, someone is already lined up.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

mitosis wrote: »
    Respect to a great manager. The club will suffer now whomever they appoint to replace him.

Did great things, but with Englands richest club, and fortunate to arrive just as the game changed with Sky. Without question, given the resources available, should have been capable of winning more than 2 Euro titles in 27 years - Milan won 5 in the same period, Barcelona 4, Madrid 3 (and they are a "joke of a club").

So, great, but not the greatest. I'd go so far as to say not even Man U's greatest.

Yet still only spent the 4th most in terms of Premier League clubs. He has brought about a domestic dominance (from the doldrums) that will likely never be surpassed, and has won 2 European cups and a cup winners cup despite being unlucky in Europe. He is the greatest ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Have to say I'm bloody delighted, been waiting for this for years and that in itself speaks volumes for the job he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Manuel Pellegrini
    Stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you really think that he just sprung this on the club this morning?

This has probably been known all along by the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Yet still only spent the 4th most in terms of Premier League clubs. He has brought about a domestic dominance (from the doldrums) that will likely never be surpassed, and has won 2 European cups and a cup winners cup despite being unlucky in Europe. He is the greatest ever

His starting point was with Englands richest club.

Manuel Pellegrini
    Al Capwned wrote: »
    Make no mistake, someone is already lined up.....
    Ohh, I never doubt what Fergie has up his sleeve. Was just making a point to an idiotic post.

How could you criticise him more in the last 2 years? Pushed a better team all the way last season and walked the title this year??

Easy, he's made some terrible tactical decisions in big games that have cost the team some big games and was not quick enough to change things that were going wrong. Did a great job in the transfer market and with motivation but a lot of times the tactics weren't up to what was needed. The other factors of his management definitely outweigh the negatives overall but these weren't problems in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Manuel Pellegrini
    Mourinho, because United aren't done trolling me just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Jürgen Klopp
    Wonder would Souness be interested in wrecking another dynasty!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Do you really think that he just sprung this on the club this morning?

This has probably been known all along by the board.
    If anyone inside the club has known for longer, the club could face hefty penalties from the NYSE.

I'd imagine he kept it to himself but hinted at it at their outing yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mourinho would give instant success but probably wouldn't stick around and could potentially leave the club in a bit of a state when he leaves.

Moyes is the long shot; he has proven that he can continuously motivate and reinvigorate his team but he has won nothing.

The board will need to decide which is their preference; long term stability or short term success.

If anyone inside the club has known for longer, the club could face hefty penalties from the NYSE.

That is total rubbish.

How would NYSE know when directors have been informed?

Have you never heard of private conversations? Not everything happens in formal board meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

<Wakes up>

vader.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Jürgen Klopp
    What a great manager. Was 3 when he took over so have known no other manager. Enjoy your retirement Sir Alex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Manuel Pellegrini
    Haha, Hayley interviewing the auld fella...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Manuel Pellegrini
    That is total rubbish.

How would NYSE know when directors have been informed?

Have you never heard of private conversations? Not everything happens in formal board meetings.

Public companies do have extremely strict guidelines to exchange on the NYSE as im sure you know though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Jürgen Klopp

Course they knew along time ago, what are they gonna do tell them 6 months in advance and watch the price of shares plummet?

Manuel Pellegrini
    Liam O wrote: »
    Easy, he's made some terrible tactical decisions in big games that have cost the team some big games and was not quick enough to change things that were going wrong. Did a great job in the transfer market and with motivation but a lot of times the tactics weren't up to what was needed. The other factors of his management definitely outweigh the negatives overall but these weren't problems in the past.
    Rubbish, go on out of that. He got his tactics spot on against Real Madrid and would have won if it weren't for a farcical red card. The match against Spurs at OT was another he changed things around that worked well, Southampton with RVP, Aston Villa with Hernandez. There are a ton of matches I can name in the past two seasons where his tactics have been spot on or he has tweaked them to pull out vital wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Have nothing against Moyes, admire the job he has done at Everton, but I would have never had him down as Man Utd manager.

I suppose with him being good friends with Fergie, and Fergie stepping upstairs it is possible that it could be a reality.

However if I were a United fan I would much rather the timing of it being down to the fact they want Jose and do not want him returning to Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Jürgen Klopp
    Rubbish, go on out of that. He got his tactics spot on against Real Madrid and would have won if it weren't for a farcical red card. The match against Spurs at OT was another he changed things around that worked well, Southampton with RVP, Aston Villa with Hernandez. There are a ton of matches I can name in the past two seasons where his tactics have been spot on or he has tweaked them to pull out vital wins.

Here we go!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Manuel Pellegrini
    Trap out.

Fergie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

That feeling of emptiness!

Just bare with me one moment lads whilst I throw up... I'm still half asleep.

listermint wrote: »
    Public companies do have extremely strict guidelines to exchange on the NYSE as im sure you know though.

Yes, they are formal rules.

There are also informal discussions that happen all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Bryan Robson with Paddy Crerand as his assistant :pac:

Seriously tho, I wouldn't be surprised if whoever does come in they bring Gary Neville back as part of their backroom staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Undoubtedly an all time great, his domestic record makes him so but I would go no further.

Should he have more CL titles? Considering the sheer wealth and size of Man U, yes.

Still a legend of the game however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Jürgen Klopp
    Just saw this stat. Since Fergie took over in 1986, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City have had 47 different managers. Really puts it in perspective and how long and how successful hes been.

Wigan, City, Everton to cost the league last season.

All those group games for the CL last season when the team got dumped out.

Both games in the FA Cup against Chelsea and West Ham this season along with a lot of smaller games when the team have lacked imagination. Throwing on a load of strikers in the 75th minute isn't the way to overturn things. Like I said, obviously the positives outweigh the negatives but most of these have happened in the 2nd half of the season where United are supposed to step the game up and it hasn't happened the last 2 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Other
    Trap, has to be him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement