Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

kraggy wrote: »
    What managers are the main believers in youth development?

Not Mourinho anyway.

Wenger?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Moyes looks like a very safe bet it seems. I literally could not be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

mitosis wrote: »
    Respect to a great manager. The club will suffer now whomever they appoint to replace him.

Did great things, but with Englands richest club, and fortunate to arrive just as the game changed with Sky. Without question, given the resources available, should have been capable of winning more than 2 Euro titles in 27 years - Milan won 5 in the same period, Barcelona 4, Madrid 3 (and they are a "joke of a club").

So, great, but not the greatest. I'd go so far as to say not even Man U's greatest.

Agree with most of that unbelievable record in england and I would have to say the greatest domestic manager but found wanting on the european stage. He had lots of things in his favour to dominate europe but his record at that level is poor and before saying he is the greatest manager ever people need to realise that the football world doesnt revolve around england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Moyes.

And Martinez to Everton at 2/1 that looks a nice bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Jürgen Klopp
    My money is on Pat Fenlon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Yet still only spent the 4th most in terms of Premier League clubs. He has brought about a domestic dominance (from the doldrums) that will likely never be surpassed, and has won 2 European cups and a cup winners cup despite being unlucky in Europe. He is the greatest ever

Ehh you know he did win things with Aberdeen ?
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    Trap out.

Fergie in.

Yeahh lets exchange one old septuagenarian cantankerous codger for another. :rolleyes:
    I would love to see trap replace him at united and bring his brand of Irish football to old trafford. :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Jürgen Klopp
    Agree with most of that unbelievable record in england and I would have to say the greatest domestic manager but found wanting on the european stage. He had lots of things in his favour to dominate europe but his record at that level is poor and before saying he is the greatest manager ever people need to realise that the football world doesnt revolve around england.

Its worth pondering if he would have done as well outside England with another major club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Dancor wrote: »
    Poor Paddy, I bet nobody even acknowledges him around OT.
    He said Keane didn't know what he was talking about because he never played in a Champions League final where Paddy did :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Everton game was hardly down to tactics now, just poor defensive discipline from our back-line.

Again, I believe against West Ham he threw on two men by the name of Giggs and Van Persie that ended up being the difference. Look, I'm not going to argue that Fergie didn't make some tactical errors in the last two years; he did. But compare this team to any other and look at what he has done in the last 2 years. Pretty damn well if you ask me

This is the point though that lots of people miss. Winning isn't everything when it comes to tactics. You can win a game tactically and still lose. It's percentages and it's also what makes soccer so interesting. If you play Faroes against Spain 9/10+ times the Spanish should win and tactics won't come into it. For the vast majority of games Man Utd always had a better squad than the team they were playing against. So a decent organisation should expect to see them through. But what happens when he plays team with the same level of pedigree and technique as his team? That's how you judge him tactically.

Fergie's record against Mourinho is not great. (Mourino's only lost twice irrc.)
    His record against Ancelotti wasn't great either. (Iirc Only when Ancelotti joined Chelsea and in his final year there did that begin to improve significantly.)

You could argue that maybe they had the better teams at times with more technique but, let's put it another way, how often has Fergie's team punched above their weight?

Even in many games United won in Europe they've been outplayed - and in recent years this has been staggeringly more obvious. Fergie, for all his merits, seems to have a single game plan* and when that doesn't work he's very slow to adapt. The difference between him and Mourinho imo can be bluntly illustrated when you consider that when down to ten men unfairly in the Champions League Mourinho adapted; Fergie moaned and groaned but visibly changed nothing.

There's no doubt that Fergie is a excellent manager in a personnel sense but tactically he's weaker. He makes up for though in getting the best out of his players and keeping a coherent squad.

*One thing that cannot be overlooked though is whether Fergie's players were capable of changing formations on the fly. Guardiola is the best example I can think of. He's often changed the formation several times in one half but he had the players that were trained from an early age in how to do so and the technique to pull it off. In recent years, Fergie's been lacking midfielders capable of that feat. So perhaps you could also give him some more leeway here. A manager has to make do with what they've got. So, I guess, another way to ask to question would be if Fergie had Pep's Barca or Sachi's Milan squad wise how would he have handled them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Manuel Pellegrini
    I'm listening to some chap on rte radio, he seems certain as can be that its Moyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Jürgen Klopp
    sky sports breaking news
    Sky Sources: Everton manager David Moyes in "pole-position" to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Best of luck to Fergie.

I'm sorry he never got to fulfill his lifetime ambition in matching the 3 European Cups achieved by the legendary Bob Paisley at the almighty Liverpool FC.

But thats life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

Probably a silly question but is Moyes's contract up during the summer? If so (and I presume like footballers) Man Utd wouldn't have to contact Everton to discuss terms? Not me saying that it'll be Moyes as I've no idea who it'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Manuel Pellegrini
    Yes, Moyes has carefully run down his contract. Many thought he was off to Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lapin wrote: »
    Best of luck to Fergie.

I'm sorry he never got to fulfill his lifetime ambition in matching the 3 European Cups achieved by the legendary Bob Paisley at the almighty Liverpool FC.

But thats life.

I agree that one more Champions League would have been the cherry on top of Fergies managerial career at United, but the Champions League is a far harder competition to win than the old european cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Best of luck to Fergie.

But thats life.

He's retiring on his perch. I'd say he's more than happy!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jürgen Klopp
    Yes Moyes is free in the summer.

As a Liverpool fan I have to (however I much I do not want to) give him my admiration.

However I feel with him go upstairs and not just leaving it could be bad. If it is Moyes the 2 could clash and cause some power struggle. If it is Mourinho he will tell Fergi where to go and I could see a power struggle at the club also. I would have thought he should just have gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Phil Neville - nailed on replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Sad day. Hope it's not Moyes though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Manuel Pellegrini
    For me it's Mourinho, He's the only one who will be able to cope with the shadow Fergie's legacy will throw on Old Traford for the next few years. Even if he only lasts 3 years, it'll mean whoever takes over then will have a clear run at being the manager on his own terms.
    If it's Moyes and Fergie is upstairs, I can't see it working.
    Can't see it working with Moyes full stop.
    I think this has been in the pipeline for a while now, there has been a big deal made about the open top bus parade in Manchester for the league, compared to other times United won. A big goodbye for the great man.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Manuel Pellegrini
    Has to be Mourinho, loads of experience, him and Fergie bessie's and all that. Moyes is good but he doesn't have enough experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Manuel Pellegrini
    Best of luck to Fergie.

But thats life.

But Ferguson can retire knowing he won more Premierships than Paisley and Shankley, Clough combined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wenger for the craic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Jürgen Klopp
    Whoever it is will find it very difficult to follow Ferguson. Cant see any manager having the same control over a club he had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,166 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bookies reckon its Moyes - he's 4/11 with PP

I had thought they might bring Moyes in as Fergie's assistant for a year to give him a bit of experience - he's a good manager and seems a good guy but he's working under a completely different set of circumstances & expectations @ Everton.

any reason Heynckes is such long odds? He's old (but younger than Fergie), not sure how good his english is, but he's available, is about to win the CL and is not retiring voluntarily?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Yet still only spent the 4th most in terms of Premier League clubs. He has brought about a domestic dominance (from the doldrums) that will likely never be surpassed, and has won 2 European cups and a cup winners cup despite being unlucky in Europe. He is the greatest ever

I would say he has been quite lucky in europe. 1999 2 goals in the last minute when bayern were the better team and then chelsea having a peno to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Jürgen Klopp
    And suddenly United fans go from the most supportive and dedicated to their manager, to yet another group who will watch, scrutinize and question every move he makes. I'd like to see Moyes given a chance on a bigger stage but there'll be a hell of a lot of pressure on him compared to Mourinho who has a proven record at his level.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

IvySlayer wrote: »
    But Ferguson can retire knowing he won more Premierships than Paisley and Shankley, Clough combined

None of them ever managed a team in the Premier League, in fairness. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jürgen Klopp
    Voted Moyes as I think thats who will get the job but Jose in the only man for the job imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

loyatemu wrote: »
    bookies reckon its Moyes - he's 4/11 with PP

I had thought they might bring Moyes in as Fergie's assistant for a year to give him a bit of experience - he's a good manager and seems a good guy but he's working under a completely different set of circumstances & expectations @ Everton.

any reason Heynckes is such long odds? He's old (but younger than Fergie), not sure how good his english is, but he's available, is about to win the CL and is not retiring voluntarily?

Heynckes is the same age no? Think hes rumoured to be takng over the german national team

• Advertisement

Manuel Pellegrini
    None of them ever managed a team in the Premier League, in fairness. :pac:

I could spin it that Paisley never won the Champions League.....Whatever :P Not the thread for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Jürgen Klopp
    from goal.com

David Moyes is set to be appointed the new manager of Manchester United by the end of the week, Goal.com understands.

The Everton boss is expected to be announced, possibly even within the next 24 hours, as the successor to Sir Alex Ferguson, who revealed on Wednesday morning that he is stepping down at the end of the season.

Sources have told Goal.com that the United players have learned today that Moyes is the man who has been lined up to take over from Sir Alex.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/05/08/3963134/its-moyes-manchester-united-to-name-sir-alex-successor

Manuel Pellegrini
    peteeeed wrote: »
    Sources have told Goal.com that the United players have learned today that Moyes is the man who has been lined up to take over from Sir Alex.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/05/08/3963134/its-moyes-manchester-united-to-name-sir-alex-successor

IE: They made it up

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If Ben Smith is on the money, then it surely can't be Moyes. How would that cause English football to "implode"?

The only appointments that fall into that category I reckon are Rafa or Wenger, as they would be totally unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Manuel Pellegrini
    I really hope it's not David Moyes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Jürgen Klopp
    Mourinho embodies almost everything Ferguson doesn't want at united. Big ego and lack of youth development.

Has to be Moyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Moyes deserves the chance. What he's done with Everton cannot be overstated.

He might be a flop but I think if he's shown the same patience that Sir Alex got at the start then Man Utd could have another very competent manager for generations.
    Mourinho's obviously another candidate.

Klopp though or Ancelotti would be my preferences. Ancelotti purely for no other reason than I like the guy a heck of a lot.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Moyes is in Fergie's mould and looks like he'd be the long-term option. Does he have the shoulders to cope with being Man Utd manager though? He's happy enough at Everton doing better than expected year in year out. But the financial resources there means that not a whole lot is expected. With Man Utd the weight of expectation is huge. Mourinho certainly has the ego but would the Man U hierarchy be ok with such a disruptive and in all liklehood a relatively short term option to take over ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is this a record for the soccer forum this morning?
    648 (344 members & 304 guests)

irish-stew, missingtime, OctavarIan, Liam O, ghosttown, brick tamland, km79, irish_stevo815, joe316, rob316, Double C, shano_88, user2011, Corcs001, Technophobe, Pete Campbell, Danger781, Evil_Clown, Thatsfootball, Lister1, Ciaran_B, Tubbs4, knotknowbody, Jax Teller, Johner, grumpymunster, Hears6, sofireland, xabi, adox, Pizzle, Gunslinger99, ricero, WallyGUFC, KH25, mailrewop, grames_bond, DubDani, weiland79, revz, Garseys, Giruilla, Fart, PhlegmyMoses, Glenviewjf, TheGoldenAges, martingriff, Hyzepher, enda1, Essien, meriwether, ArmaniJeanss, J_B_K, Mr Whirly, alchemist33, gav86, pmcmahon, Giggsy_, FutureGuy, Jernal, kevohmsford, Giggsy11, Nuigforce, HammyOWC, Mike Litoris, Lighter, Cuchulainn1., Seans_Username, diarmuid05, Neil3030, Man.UnitedLad, Jarrod, RasTa, TheBunk1, pickarooney, shrewdness, DM-ICE, klose, linfield, beerbaron, maximoose, jive, cruiserweight, Symbol, Pj!, davehey79, Kess73, Daroxtar, Dr.Slurm, daithijjj, token56, 5live, Bartyman, redzerdrog, ShamoBuc, jeff bingham, slegs, joe123, ShevY, thegreengoblin, marcbrophy, TheTownie, GSPfan, dougal, Vanolder, Eathrin, abelard, Broxi_Bear_Eire, Mr Simpson, Decuc500, RikkFlair, paulbok, nox001, Vertigo100, bhamsteve, yermandan, Tom.D.BJJ, :Keith:, recyclops, listermint, PhiloCypher, kevthegaff, froog, scouttio, Mikeyt086, Ush1, vinylbomb, Aidric, greendom, nellocono, dropping_bombs, LiamoSail, internet_user, moneyman, paddysdream, mike65, Borat_Sagdiyev, ooPabsoo, hobbit of the shire, stealinhorses, Soups123, skyway, jay1988, keano_afc, T-b0n3, rock whore, Julez, Outrophobe, Jaafa, Red Kev, Frank Spencer, DaveyCakes, Smegball, bullpost, skywalker, Sanity_Saviour, KingJamsie, TaosHum, Kiwi_knock, petejmk, Raf32, anonanymore, Adamcp898, Elbow, yabadabado, lkionm, tony1kenobi, peterjmaxwell, fearcruach, IamtheWalrus, kona, astradave, masterK, Madworld, cgc5483, caffrey, Andersonisgod, JimsAlterEgo, Nailz, gandalf, Just An Opinion, Thirdfox, icarus86, BrownBear11, Dancor, KerrAvon, StarshipPooper, flynner87, Gaolcon, merlinsmerryman, castletownman, Felexicon, Nemanja91, HoPpiE, henryporter, Kilkenny14, aperture_nuig, The Dagda, Keno 92, Minto, peteeeed, Brian017, parasite, Tigerbaby, JohnDee, PurpleSt4in, numorouno, KombuchaMshroom, bedrock#1, Shellakybooky, The Gibzilla, MagicMarker, Richy06, cunninstunt, rightyabe, John83, kalych, FloatingVoter, JaMarcus Hustle, leonidas83, jonnyfingers, tteknulp, Niska, jmayo, IncognitoMan, Gene Parmesan, bilston, munchkin_utd, Scall4life, GavRedKing, NoelJ, medic087, Wattle, cr17, UncleChael, Alpha Dog 1, theoneeyedman, VW 1, Dave!, Iused2likebusts, jumpercake, ericzeking, Freeshack, Cyrusmekon, wandatowell, Fuzzy_Dunlop, genericgoon, gerrybbadd, MintyDoris, Super_Sonic, Football Friend, PatrickL, NuckChorris1, Benimar, Al Capwned, Oregano_State, Angel56, veXual, tallaghtmick, NotorietyH, My Back Pages, Dj Stiggie, kop77, Andre80Johnson, Raif Severance, SScope, the_one_&_only, EASYNEWS, micks, ADarkKnight88, JAPMAD, Nuri Sahin, Matt_Trakker, Reekwind, Kali_Kalika, LuckyCharms, DenMan, JohnnyRyan99, dr.bollocko+, TheFullDuck, tombliboo83, Courtesy Flush, markc91, ronnie085, The Little Fella, Pappa Dolla, redman85, DennyPa, Cienciano, recyclebin, garra, magnumbud, gafferino, SM01, massdebater, themick, irish_man, Shane St., Cartman78, Average-Ro, Issac, bonescap, JustAddWater, Easy Rod, SpankFish, prusselstown

:eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Jernal wrote: »
    Moyes deserves the chance. What he's done with Everton cannot be overstated.

He might be a flop but I think if he's shown the same patience that Sir Alex got at the start then Man Utd could have another very competent manager for generations.
    Mourinho's obviously another candidate.

Klopp though or Ancelotti would be my preferences. Ancelotti purely for no other reason than I like the guy a heck of a lot.:o

No manager at a top club will ever be shown the same patience that Ferguson got in the beginning.

We are in a different world/era/paradigm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Manuel Pellegrini
    Moyes would be such a bad choice. ****ing Harry Redknapp has won more of worth than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

After the Chelsea match on Sunday, I was kind of complaining to a few friends that Fergie should have gone all out to beat them, in the hope that they don't get CL football. Ergo they wouldn't attract Jose and the big name players they are linked with, and wouldn't be as big a threat to United next season.

As it stands now though with Fergie's imminent departure, and with Chelsea set to qualify (and by all accounts bring in Mourinho), no matter how much people will put a positive spin on it, United will be in a period of transition should Moyes come in (as is likely). Third favourites for the League now.

So basically what I am saying is that if Fergie had it in mind to retire, then he should've gone out of his way to bring in Jose for a couple of years of success, and Moyes as assistant, before gradually adopting Moyes imprint onto the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

irish-stew wrote: »
    Is this a record for the soccer forum this morning?

:eek:
    Nope, theres 656 there now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Jürgen Klopp
    So basically what I am saying is that if Fergie had it in mind to retire, then he should've gone out of his way to bring in Jose for a couple of years of success, and Moyes as assistant, before gradually adopting Moyes imprint onto the club.

That would only be an unprecedented disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

There are going to be a lot of "sources" claiming 'this and that' over the next few days as every news outlet will want to be the first to break the news on Ferguson's successor, so I think I'll take all of these "source quotes" with a pinch of salt for now.

I do hope it's Mourinho though. When he said about going somewhere that he was loved, he may have also been talking about the people in the boardroom, not necessarily just the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

spockety wrote: »
    If Ben Smith is on the money, then it surely can't be Moyes. How would that cause English football to "implode"?

The only appointments that fall into that category I reckon are Rafa or Wenger, as they would be totally unexpected.

Roy Keane?

Other
    CSF wrote: »
    Moyes would be such a bad choice. ****ing Harry Redknapp has won more of worth than him.

Get the boat! He absolutely does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jose Mourinho
    Whoever takes over is on a hiding to nothing. Jupp Heynckes would seem to make sense to me in that he'd only last a couple of years before retirement meaning that whoever takes over from him could be the long-term manager without being stuck in Ferguson's shadow.

Fergie did alright. Couldn't beat Southend though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

well done to sir alex , one of the GOAT managers, good luck with the retirement fergie. his biggest regrets would probably not winning the CL more times but when think of real madrid now 11 years since their last wins, it shows you how tough winning it really is. imo mourinho to be the new manager with gary neville as an assistant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

notBigSam ‏@TheBig_Sam 1h
    Just sang 'Don't Leave Me This Way' at one of my framed pictures of Sir Alex, then drank 14 Yakults in a row. My head's all over the place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement