Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp
    If Moyes gets the job, who will he bring with him? Fellani, Barkley, Baines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jürgen Klopp
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    Whoever takes over is on a hiding to nothing. Jupp Heynckes would seem to make sense to me in that he'd only last a couple of years before retirement meaning that whoever takes over from him could be the long-term manager without being stuck in Ferguson's shadow.

Fergie did alright. Couldn't beat Southend though :D

Jupp Heynckes is retiring at the end of the season :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

IvySlayer wrote: »
    But Ferguson can retire knowing he won more Premierships than Paisley and Shankley, Clough combined

Shankley inherited a Div2 team, a shambles of a club and laid the foundations for a dynasty.
    He was in charge for 15/16 years.
    Paisley was in charge for 9 years and won 3 European Cups, 1 UEFA, 6 leagues, finshed second twice and 3 league cups.
    Can fergie match that.

And Clough was in charge of Derby and Forest ffs.
    However he did manage to win back to back European Cups.
    What would he have achieved if he had fergies resources ?
    No one could say.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I am 100% positive its Jose . Cant tell you my source though.
    Can you stick a €50 into my paypal acc so I can pop down the bookies? I'll pay you back as soon as the win comes in ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jürgen Klopp
    If it was Rafa it would be brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Really hope it's not Mourinho, I want him back at Chelsea.

I imagine if it's not Mourinho, it'll be the likes of Moyes or Klopp.

However, I'd be slightly apprehensive about who they get in. The fact that Fergie is moving upstairs could cause problems. I don't think he'll take easily to stepping out of the spotlight and I imagine whoever comes in will have to put up with a lot of advice, in one form or another, from him. If it's someone with a strong will, it could cause a lot of trouble. Who would publicly stand up to Fergie and say he's wrong but then what self-respecting manager would take all the pressure from upstairs?

I think this part of the deal should be of more concern to United fans than who the named manager will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Martin O'Neill or Steve Bruce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If it was Rafa it would be brilliant.

Premiership = Greatest Show on Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

well done to sir alex , one of the GOAT managers, good luck with the retirement fergie. his biggest regrets would probably not winning the CL more times but when think of real madrid now 11 years since their last wins, it shows you how tough winning it really is. imo mourinho to be the new manager with gary neville as an assistant

Also winning CL is not easy either. Qualifying is easier but winning is lot more difficult than the old format. One of the reason why no team have won it back to back.

IIRC, Only Milan, Madrid and Barca have won 3 CL titles and ManUtd have won 2. I think that's shows we didn't do that badly in the CL as the other 3 teams had one of the best ever players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Excellent, Pool fans in waving their cocks around.

Hai guise, trying to feel relevant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nice news to wake up to. Think this was on the cards when he brought Van Persie in as a short term fix to win back the title but didn't think it would actually happen.

Will be interesting to see how players react to the new manager. They seemed to be afraid of Fergie but not all managers are going to instill that fear...and if you look at Rooney's attitude towards Phelan the new manager could have a tough time managing ego's. Mourinho would probably be best equipped to manage this but I don't think he is a long term solution.

Anyway, good news. Plus the "mind games" count will be dramatically reduced next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Jürgen Klopp
    please be Moyes! 2 Birds, 1 stone!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:confused:

Have yet to see a post in here today that is disrespectful to Ferguson or Utd tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Jürgen Klopp
    For those saying united wouldn't employ someone without CL experience.. please realise united aren't chelsea!

Ferguson has long stated domestic league is the most important thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jürgen Klopp
    I think it'll be Moyes, but I'd prefer 1. Mourinho 2. Klopp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Cienciano wrote: »
    I agree that one more Champions League would have been the cherry on top of Fergies managerial career at United, but the Champions League is a far harder competition to win than the old european cup.

Disagree. The old EC with a knockout format was arguably much harder to win. Consider the open draw and none of this seeding nonsense along with the fact that only the champions could qualify and that made it harder. You only got one pick at the cherry and that was it.

One of the titles that Real Madrid won around 98-02, they played Bayern in the knock out and in the semis, Bayern won 3 of the 4 matches but still went out, under the old format Bayern would have gone through, instead Real did. United didn't finish first every year but because of the system they got 17 chances in a row at it, something that would have been impossible under the old European Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jürgen Klopp
    Ferguson only really under-achieved in Europe in the early to mid 2000s. When United got back in in 93 they were painfully short of the competition and spent the next few years getting schooled by the Barcas and Juves of this world. He dragged them up which culminated in a semi final in 97 and a final in 99.

I''m not sure people appreciate how far he had to take that team to get there, they were on a par with the likes of Galatasaray. It was only after that final that they spent the next 7/8 years as nearly men. That's the only period of his career that I feel he can be truly criticised for.

After that, he won it again in 08 and was unlucky enough to be second best to the greatest club side ever put together on a couple of occasions. I'll stick my neck out and say that if he had put together that side in any other part of his tenure he'd have his 3rd CL trophy at least.

Anyway, this will always be a stick used to beat him with but the record needs closer scrutiny and a look at the realities of what it takes to win the CL in a given season.

Anyway, he'll be greatly missed and It'll be hard to get used to anyone else. I suspect Moyes but want Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jose Mourinho
    Dempsey wrote: »
    Jupp Heynckes is retiring at the end of the season :confused:

Only because his job has been shamefully given to the flavour of the month. There's been some suggestion that he may consider staying in football if the right job comes up (although I can't currently find the quotes to back that up).

EDIT - "You surely don't believe, if you please, that I'll talk to you about what I have planned after June 30," Heynckes told reporters a few days after Bayern smashed Guardiola's old club Barcelona 4-0 in the first leg of their Champions League semifinals. "The rumor mill is churning, there are thousands of speculations."

"I know what I'm doing. For quite a while," Heynckes concluded.

Could mean retirement to be fair. Could mean anything.

And from just after Guardiola was announced as taking over:

"I would like to announce my decision myself," Heynckes said. "And there's another six months for that. I alone will decide when I'm retiring."

http://www.dw.de/the-hunt-for-bayerns-old-fox-jupp-heynckes/a-16779567

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

This just adds to my excitement for PL next season. Mourinho back to Chelsea, United without the SAF factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Jürgen Klopp
    Whenever I talked about United I used to always say, once Fergie left, thet would fall apart. The fact that this is no longer true speaks volumes for the man.

Delighted he's gone though, the man I hated most in football, without trying to pretend it wasn't down to his success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Manuel Pellegrini
    Klopp
    Mourinho
    Moyes

In that order for me , Klopp has proven his quality both in youth development and Tactical battles. He embodies the clubs he goes to and has the keys of the city in Dortmund , what he has done there is unreal. Dortmund were on the brink of going out of business only a few years ago and he brought them right up to the champions leauge final and possible winners this season , he has all the proven pedigree and I'd love him at Utd he would fit right in. Not to mention he knows how to get the best out of Kagawa and maybe bag Lewondowski with him as well.

Mourinho - Has said he wants to find a club to settle with , maybe he has been waiting on Utd job. It's known how close he is with Sir Alex and his tapping up 'The better team lost tonight' I'd prefer to see him at Utd than Chelsea and given a chance.

Moyes - I'm sorry but I really don't want Moyes. I respect the man and what he has done at Everton and I hope he is given a chance at a bigger club but not Utd , it's too big , too much and he's done too little so far to land it. I'm hoping it's not Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

spockety wrote: »
    No manager at a top club will ever be shown the same patience that Ferguson got in the beginning.

We are in a different world/era/paradigm...

Yeah.:o But things can change. . .
    Re Klopp. How funny or awful would it be for Dortmund to lose yet another influential person? Jesus, that club has been leeched enough.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

Have yet to see a post in here today that is disrespectful to Ferguson or Utd tbh.

He didn't say disrespectful. He said waving their cocks around trying to feel relevant.
    Lapin wrote: »
    Best of luck to Fergie.

I'm sorry he never got to fulfill his lifetime ambition in matching the 3 European Cups achieved by the legendary Bob Paisley at the almighty Liverpool FC.

But thats life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jürgen Klopp
    It's going to be Moyes. Would like Mourinho but its not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Jürgen Klopp
    I find it quite entertaining that everyone is against Moyes becoming manager purely because the papers have had him down as favourite to replace Fergie for a while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I said it a few months ago that I felt Fergie would retire if we won the league. Getting the 20th league title and winning the league back from City would be hard to top. I do think he wanted to win the Champion's League one more time but realistically the odds of doing it next year are not great. So if he wanted to go out on top now is the time.

I think the upcoming hip operation and David Gill's departure has definitely helped his decision.

As a fan I'm sorry to see him go, but happy at the same time. He's been great for the club and doesn't owe us one day more in the manager's seat. I am worried for the future of the club without him though, but I've been thinking about it for a few months now so I'm not in too much of a panic.

I think the next managerial appointment is huge as it will indicate what way the club are looking to go. If it's Mourinho then they're looking for immediate short term success. I do worry about life after Mourinho though. SAF will leave the club in great shape, not sure Jose would do the same.

If they appoint someone like Moyes then they're more interested in a long term approach. If that's the case I hope he's given enough time to settle, and that might mean, as fans, we have to be happy with limited or no success for some time. I do think we'd be better off in the long term though.

Then again it could be Klopp or some other good manager who comes in. Let's face it, it's an amazing job that no manager would turn down.

Whatever happens it will be interesting to see how the team evolves with SAF, how the football style might change, what players will come and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

mourinho with moyes as his assistant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh if you are on about me I am not Liverpool fan, inf act can't stand them at the moment due to way they tolerate gombeens like suarez.

I would be a fan of the team that provided you with the player that won the league for you this year. :mad:

I just don't like the cr** having a pop at the likes of Paisley, Shanks, Cloughie.

And yes I hated ferguson in charge.
    united went from an also ran winning the odd cup to dominating the fecking league with a bunch of annoying fans.

For non united fans and ABUs especially he was too fecking good

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

Jürgen Klopp
    i'd say a deal is already done, this will be known by the utd board to have been coming up, I voted for david moyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Whenever I talked about United I used to always say, once Fergie left, thet would fall apart. The fact that this is no longer true speaks volumes for the man.

Delighted he's gone though, the man I hated most in football, without trying to pretend it wasn't down to his success.

I do not envy the manager who takes over with Ferguson on the board and in the near vicinity. :eek: It will have to be a very tough manager that has the balls to do his own thing and keep Ferguson out of his face. Ferguson has certainly not left the building, its just a side step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I would rather Solskjaer than Moyes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

While Ben Smiths tweet has made this more interesting, there is no way it'll be Rafa.

No way United or Rafa will want fans booing the manager and Rafa will have truly burnt the bridges at Liverpool if he managed United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Manuel Pellegrini
    I'd imagine some sort of agreement is already in place, Fergie still has a year or 2 left in him so I imagine this might be timed in order to get the right man now. Is it true that Moyes contract is up in the summer?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Every single one of us loves Alex Ferguson!

Thanks for the memories.

Premier League: 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013.

FA Cup: 1990, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004

League Cup: 1992, 2006, 2009, 2010

Champions League: 1999, 2008

Cup Winners Cup: 1991

Fifa Club World Cup: 2008

Uefa Super Cup: 1992

Inter-Continental Cup: 1999

FA Charity/Community Shield: 1990 (shared), 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011

Football will be very different without him. Irreplaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Jürgen Klopp
    Why is Jupp Heynckes in the poll? He has confirmed he is retiring.

Also, why did 2 people vote for Manuel Pellegrini?

• Advertisement

Other
    I would prefer Klopp above them all!

There are pros and cons to all candidates but I think Klopp shades it for me.

Mourinho changes clubs too often and doesn't develop youth like the other two while Moyes lacks experience at the highest level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    exciting season ahead from Liverpool perspective. if moyes gets the job that's two rivals in transition.

El Spearo wrote: »
    exciting season ahead from Liverpool perspective. if moyes gets the job that's two rivals in transition.

United are not Liverpools rivals and have not been for a while now. Neither are Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Manuel Pellegrini

Ye might even finish above one of them :pac:

Jürgen Klopp
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    United are not Liverpools rivals and have not been for a while now. Neither are Chelsea.

League position does not necessarily dictate who is a rival or not. That is like claiming Chelsea and Millwall aren't rivals. So stop the nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jose Mourinho
    To commemorate Sir Alex Ferguson's achievements at Manchester United, Old Trafford will hold a one minute applause.

That will make a nice change from the usual 90 minutes silence.

Jürgen Klopp
    cournioni wrote: »
    Every single one of us loves Alex Ferguson!

Easy now :P

Other

Brendan Rodgers has only been with you guys for one season so I'd consider you guys to be in transition still. Also Liverpool have not competed on the same level with United for years. This isn't a dig or a swipe, it's just more relevant to Liverpool what Everton do than what Man Utd do.

League position does not necessarily dictate who is a rival or not. That is like claiming Chelsea and Millwall aren't rivals. So stop the nonsense.

Then what difference does it make to Liverpool apart from 2 games a season?
    How is it interesting times ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Think he means Everton rather than Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Jürgen Klopp
    moyes and phil neville

Think he means Everton rather than Chelsea.
    Yea, just copped that after posting :o

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jürgen Klopp
    tok9 wrote: »
    While Ben Smiths tweet has made this more interesting, there is no way it'll be Rafa.

No way United or Rafa will want fans booing the manager and Rafa will have truly burnt the bridges at Liverpool if he managed United.

I don't think anyone with a sane mind actually thinks it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is total rubbish.

Through stature and history they are rivals.

Just like Utd were irrelevant in the 80's in terms of titles, they were still great rivals and always will be.

A rival is not just a form club.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Easy now :P

Heh! Knew someone would have something to say about that! :pac:

Was just using the words from the chant! Don't worry I know you lot don't like him... ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement