Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is total rubbish.

Through stature and history they are rivals.

Just like Utd were irrelevant in the 80's in terms of titles, they were still great rivals and always will be.

A rival is not just a form club.

I didn't mean it like that. On the day of the game I still regard Liverpool as biggest rivals.
    The way the other poster worded his post it suggested something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

There isn't a hope of Rafa getting the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ricero wrote: »
    To commemorate Sir Alex Ferguson's achievements at Manchester United, Old Trafford will hold a one minute applause.

That will make a nice change from the usual 90 minutes silence.

If they are winning it will be held in the 90th minute...if losing the 95th. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    United are not Liverpools rivals and have not been for a while now. Neither are Chelsea.

With Moyes in charge they will be. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

McLeish still available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Manuel Pellegrini

God, I really hope it's not Moyes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    cournioni wrote: »
    Heh! Knew someone would have something to say about that! :pac:

Was just using the words from the chant! Don't worry I know you lot don't like him... ;)

Don't like him, but have a huge amount of respect for him. It waivers from time to time, but I can't see many not respecting him.

If he can keep Everton ahead of Liverpool... :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jürgen Klopp
    One thing is for sure, whoever comes in will not be given the same level of patience as Ferguson was in his first few years. Obviously utd will never be as low as they were during times back then, but a poor start to the season could see things get quite hairy in terms of fan reaction I think.

Interesting times ahead anyhow, as long as it's not the dreaded seamless transition I fear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Grew up watching Sir Alex's United teams, shocked at the news but it had to happen eventually. The greatest manager in history in my opinion, and to anyone that offers the suggestion that he should have won the Champions League more, bear in mind that Madrid have won it twice in his tenure, Bayern Munich once and Inter once. If we didn't have to face arguably the greatest team of all time in 2 finals then surely it would have been more. Thanks Sir Alex, for many great memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Jürgen Klopp
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Keyes and Gray suggesting he might have been given a nudge.

I can't see how that could happen. Ferguson is probably the only exception to the rule that nobody is bigger than the club.

Manuel Pellegrini
    kraggy wrote: »

What reasons did they cite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

I can't see how that could happen. Ferguson is probably the only exception to the rule that nobody is bigger than the club.

Not referring to you but thats a load of b0llicks, them two are desperate for any sort of publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is total rubbish.

Through stature and history they are rivals.

Just like Utd were irrelevant in the 80's in terms of titles, they were still great rivals and always will be.

A rival is not just a form club.

United and Liverpool are not rivals havent been for years, they are simply another team they have to play twice a season, rivals are those that compete against one another for trophies, Liverpool do not do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Red Kev wrote: »
    Disagree. The old EC with a knockout format was arguably much harder to win. Consider the open draw and none of this seeding nonsense along with the fact that only the champions could qualify and that made it harder. You only got one pick at the cherry and that was it.

One of the titles that Real Madrid won around 98-02, they played Bayern in the knock out and in the semis, Bayern won 3 of the 4 matches but still went out, under the old format Bayern would have gone through, instead Real did. United didn't finish first every year but because of the system they got 17 chances in a row at it, something that would have been impossible under the old European Cup.
    Dundalk almost got to european cup quarter final. They beat the Northern Irish champions, the Malteese champions but were beaten 3-2 by celtic. Would a League of Ireland club get near the Quarter Finals of the Champions League?
    Because it was 1 team from each country meant the old competition had too many weak teams. The Fairs Cup/UEFA cup was harder to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Manuel Pellegrini

I can't imagine anyone trying to tell Fergie he has to do something and expect any other reaction than: Fúck off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Other
    Any chance they'd take Trappatoni off our hands? :D

Jürgen Klopp
    I didn't mean it like that. On the day of the game I still regard Liverpool as biggest rivals.
    The way the other poster worded his post it suggested something different.

What I meant was it is exciting for LFC fans to see our club in a position where a big summer could see us being more competitive next season. This is now amid a potential slip from two to three clubs who are undergoing significant change.

I in no way suggested that United were rivals at the moment and that we could overtake them. You over compensated in your retort and made my words look like that while completely blowing out of the water the two clubs' rivalry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    If he can keep Everton ahead of Liverpool... :pac:

For three times out of 13 year isn't it? I certainly take United finishing ahead of us 3 times out of the next 13 years. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

False 9 wrote: »
    What reasons did they cite?

None particularly but saying how odd the timing is and the way he spoke in the programme notes about how positive the future is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Excellent, Pool fans in waving their cocks around.

Hai guise, trying to feel relevant?

Every post likes this makes them relevant. Don't worry about fans of other clubs, you just focus on Liverpool

Manuel Pellegrini
    None particularly but saying how odd the timing is and the way he spoke in the programme notes about how positive the future is.

Pair of muppets.

To be honest, I don't think the timing was odd and I wasn't all that surprised it would be the end of this season. Thought he would've announced it in the summer, but I guess it makes sense to say goodbye to the fans at the end of his last game.

Manuel Pellegrini

monkey9 wrote: »
    Every post likes this makes them relevant. Don't worry about fans of other clubs, you just focus on Liverpool

I suppose Keys and Gray are relevant too so.

Jürgen Klopp
    donalg1 wrote: »
    United and Liverpool are not rivals havent been for years, they are simply another team they have to play twice a season, rivals are those that compete against one another for trophies, Liverpool do not do this.

This is the nonsense that gets spouted. I've been respectful towards Ferguson and his retirement, and aside from the red haze that descends every now and then I'm respectful towards MUFC.

For anyone to claim the LFC and MUFC are not rivals is idiotic and shows you are a plastic fan with no respect for club histories. I can imagine if you ask Ferguson what fixture he looked for first in September I wager it would Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Some amount of Liverpool talk in this thread for what's one of the biggest days in Utd's history.

Anyway, personally I am delighted, its the end of an era and Utd wont be anywhere near as consistent as they have been. Big upheaval and I can see managers coming and going for many years at Old Trafford, along with the crap that brings to a club and the uncertaintly it brings.

For three times out of 13 year isn't it? I certainly take United finishing ahead of us 3 times out of the next 13 years. ;)
    The 2 most recent seasons though. They're the important ones going forward.
    And on a shoestring budget as opposed to one of the biggest spenders in the league.

Giggs or Ole Gunnar, preferably Giggsy there isnt a man alive that would have as much knowledge of how things work at Utd than Giggs and SAF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Jürgen Klopp
    dean saunders?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Jürgen Klopp
    In fairness, for a club of Everton's resources that's an achievement.

• Advertisement

Manuel Pellegrini
    El Spearo wrote: »
    This is the nonsense that gets spouted. I've been respectful towards Ferguson and his retirement, and aside from the red haze that descends every now and then I'm respectful towards MUFC.

For anyone to claim the LFC and MUFC are not rivals is idiotic and shows you are a plastic fan with no respect for club histories. I can imagine if you ask Ferguson what fixture he looked for first in September I wager it would Liverpool.

Still a huge rivalry there, but more in terms of when they actually play each other as opposed to them challenging each other for trophies.

It's more about bragging rights these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Is Liveline doing a Fergie special today? I think I need it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

This is probably the club where fans have the absolute highest level of expectation above all other clubs. They have known nothing other than success.

That's been fine to date, because the man in the hot seat has consistently delivered, or at times when he wasn't delivering the fans were patient because they knew another major trophy was only a season or two away.

This is going to be really interesting, particularly if it's a manager who has never won a major honour.

First Thatcher now this.

Hands up, who found the genies lamp?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jürgen Klopp
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    First Thatcher now this.

Hands up, who found the genies lamp?

Someone already used that joke.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Excellent, Pool fans in waving their cocks around.

Hai guise, trying to feel relevant?

Give me a break. This coming from a person who thrives on kicking up a fuss whenever possibly and in the past admitted enjoying taking the piss out of Liverpool in a previous thread despite saying you weren't a United supporter, go report all the Liverpool fans if you want.

It's a compliment people are delighted he's finally leaving (when a new man is appointed, I'll fully believe it. Could change his mind tomorrow and it wouldn't overly surprise me).

Liverpool fans are delighted including myself big whoop, there is a respect from the majority here in what he has achieved. For me it's not what he won so much, it's the consistent nature of picking up trophies despite opposition from the likes and his knack for building team after team is a very admirable trait. I did find his tactics baffling at times especially in Europe, but I think a lot of United supporters would be of the same mind on that topic. I agree with Lloyd, he should have won another Champions League or two IMO than he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Manuel Pellegrini

Think what he was getting at is that Liverpool aren't Uniteds title rivals and haven't been for a few years now. Of course there is a huge rivalry between the clubs and the two fixtures between the clubs during the year would be players and fans biggest games of the season.

Has to be used 3 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jürgen Klopp
    Steve Kean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Jürgen Klopp
    What's Stan Staunton at these days?

Jürgen Klopp
    s_carnage wrote: »
    Think what he was getting at is that Liverpool aren't Uniteds title rivals and haven't been for a few years now. Of course there is a huge rivalry between the clubs and the two fixtures between the clubs during the year would be players and fans biggest games of the season.

Of course, and I totally agree. Never stated we were title rivals, and we're far from it. But there have been some claiming that we are not rivals at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

s_carnage wrote: »

I think this is a fair point, there can be rivalry without being actual rivals (in terms of the league).

In about 5 different threads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Jürgen Klopp
    If I hear that Thatcher joke one more time...

Manuel Pellegrini
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I agree with Lloyd, he should have won another Champions League or two IMO than he did.

I can't help but feel this argument is a stick to beat his legacy with by some people.

As has been stated, in his tenure, Madrid have only one it twice for example. It's a much more difficult trophy to win than it was.

United also go to two other finals against and were defeated by a devastating Barca side.

That's my honest opinion on it.

I think what he did with Aberdeen somewhat counters the argument also.

Amazing man. The greatest of all time in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Julez wrote: »
    If I hear that Thatcher joke one more time...

A scouser with a magic lamp? Yup he definitely knicked it.It'll be in his nearest Cash for Gold by tea time.

The fact LFC fans only ever talk about history says it all really and proves they are not rivals.

I would wager it wasnt Liverpool but it was Man City, he may even say it was LFC but realistically he knows as does everyone else Utd's biggest rivals these days are City and Chelsea.

I am sure that SAF loved playing liverpool as it is seen as a derby of sorts however they are not rivals in the sense that they rival each other for trophies, they dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So Fergie time has finally run out.

Great manager, don't think there will be a manager like him again. Football is too focused on money and clubs want instant results and managers are not given the chance like when he took over. I'll miss his approach to the media, the way he gets his digs in and gets behind opponents skin (Keegans outburst is a classic). He always get the best out of a team like winning this seasons team with a fairly average midfield. I don't envy the next manager, will make for a very different top 4 in the next few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Of course, that's why Utd made such a big deal about their 19th title and would love to have 5 European cups.

Not rivals at all.

That's also why they never sell or lend players to each other too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The fact LFC fans only ever talk about history says it all really and proves they are not rivals.

I would wager it wasnt Liverpool but it was Man City, he may even say it was LFC but realistically he knows as does everyone else Utd's biggest rivals these days are City and Chelsea.

I am sure that SAF loved playing liverpool as it is seen as a derby of sorts however they are not rivals in the sense that they rival each other for trophies, they dont.

They are and likely always will be rivals

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement