Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

naughtb4 wrote: »
    They are and likely always will be rivals

I think people don't understand the difference between rivals and competitors.

Spurs and Arsenal always rivals despite not always being at same level.

Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough, all great rivals despite even being in different leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    donalg1 wrote: »
    The fact LFC fans only ever talk about history says it all really and proves they are not rivals.

I would wager it wasnt Liverpool but it was Man City, he may even say it was LFC but realistically he knows as does everyone else Utd's biggest rivals these days are City and Chelsea.

I am sure that SAF loved playing liverpool as it is seen as a derby of sorts however they are not rivals in the sense that they rival each other for trophies, they dont.

oh gway back under your bridge. thats bs. and whats more is there are likely many fans here who totally disagree with ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Manuel Pellegrini
    Of course, the upside to all this is the new manager might sign a center mid. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Taken from MUTV
    Manchester United chief executive David Gill, speaking to MUTV: "We have to look forward now and I think any manager coming in will inherit a great squad and great staff around him. It is a dream job. I won't speculate on the announcement but I think we will move relatively quickly.

"In Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex we got in managers who got involved in all aspects of the club. That degree of loyalty is crucial to the success of Manchester United. He (the next manager) needs the required football experience in terms of domestic and European requirements, so it is a small pool."

That to me rules out Moyes, he does not have the consistent experience in Europe, 1 season in CL will not be enough...its Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jürgen Klopp
    it looks like it isnt Moyes
    David Gill: "The new manager will have to have experience in both English and European competitions."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

MD1990 wrote: »
    David Gill: "The new manager will have to have experience in both English and European competitions."

source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Good night sweet prince

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Moyes to United has been in the works for a long time, Ferguson indicated in an interview almost a season ago he was the man he'd like to replace him. Has to be Moyes. He is Scottish and all like. Seamless transition there lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp

Moyes has experience in Europe. Not exactly the kind of experience you want though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Could it be Ancelotti?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Moyes has experience in the UEFA cup with Everton. Think he got to the last 16 at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

brinty wrote: »
    Taken from MUTV
    Manchester United chief executive David Gill, speaking to MUTV: "We have to look forward now and I think any manager coming in will inherit a great squad and great staff around him. It is a dream job. I won't speculate on the announcement but I think we will move relatively quickly.

"In Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex we got in managers who got involved in all aspects of the club. That degree of loyalty is crucial to the success of Manchester United. He (the next manager) needs the required football experience in terms of domestic and European requirements, so it is a small pool."

That to me rules out Moyes, he does not have the consistent experience in Europe, 1 season in CL will not be enough...its Jose

Bold part rules out Jose too..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Jürgen Klopp
    False 9 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel this argument is a stick to beat his legacy with by some people.

As has been stated, in his tenure, Madrid have only one it twice for example. It's a much more difficult trophy to win than it was.
    For some it obviously is, for some it's just about tempering some of the more exuberant tributes that will be coming his way. He's certainly one of the greatest ever, but he's spent the majority of his career in the same league, much of it enjoying a huge financial advantage over nearly all of his opponents. His longevity is extraordinary, and it also makes it difficult to compare him to other managers. How do you compare him to someone like Mourinho, who hops from club to club, country to country, but has accumulated a sensational haul of trophies in such a quick time? You can't. Totally different metrics, and there are many others.

Madrid have won it three times since 86, by the way. Milan 5 times, Barca 3, Porto and United 2. Juventus and Liverpool narrowly miss out on a 2nd also, while Bayern or Dortmund will be adding their second soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp

Moyes does the euromillions every week though...so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Manuel Pellegrini
    Great day for football in fairness..

love playing in the rain;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Has Ferguson spoken to the media yet? They had this well organised, wasn't leaked until very late last night. They have the replacement lined up already by the looks of it, there'll be no interview process or anything like that.

Moyes to me would be an underwhelming choice, he's done well at Everton but has never won anything and they'd have to be patient with him and give him a couple of seasons to get to grips with the job. Mourinho would be the only one who would slot in and be guaranteed to continue United's winning ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ancelloti?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Another plus for Roy...and he also has internatiional experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

For some it obviously is, for some it's just about tempering some of the more exuberant tributes that will be coming his way. He's certainly one of the greatest ever, but he's spent the majority of his career in the same league, much of it enjoying a huge financial advantage over nearly all of his opponents.

This is such a myth. His title opponents have been Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Blackburn and Newcastle. And he was outspent by 4 of those, Arsenal and Newcastle being the others. Indeed, probably his greatest triumph was taking on the financial might of Chelsea and City with lesser resources, and still coming out on top

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

False 9 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel this argument is a stick to beat his legacy with by some people.

Seems you really want this to be the case tbh. I honestly don't see an issue in saying that United should have won one more Champions League in his time there.

Oh and Madrid didn't have much stability for so many years, unlike United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jürgen Klopp
    Blatter wrote: »
    Moyes has experience in the UEFA cup with Everton. Think he got to the last 16 at some stage.

Moyes in Europe: P22 W13 D2 L7 F37 A31 (Opta)

I'll be surprised if it isnt Moyes despite what Gill says because he's leaving too.

Ed Woodward said there wont be a spending spree this summer as the focus is on developing what they have which would put Moyes or Klopp ahead of Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

donalg1 wrote: »
    Giggs or Ole Gunnar, preferably Giggsy there isnt a man alive that would have as much knowledge of how things work at Utd than Giggs and SAF
    Was scanning through the thread, wondering when someone would mention Giggs. If they want continuity then he has to be a candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This is such a myth. His title opponents have been Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Blackburn and Newcastle. And he was outspent by 4 of those, Arsenal and Newcastle being the others. Indeed, probably his greatest triumph was taking on the financial might of Chelsea and City with lesser resources, and still coming out on top

I would argue that City and Chelsea took on the long term strength and structure of Utd with money and had temporary success on unstable foundation of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Manuel Pellegrini
    David Moyes will probably get the job. Might bring Fellaini with him.

And Baines :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I think Moyes deserves the job. He has shown how he can develop young players, assemble a strong, balanced team and get players fighting for the jersey in the same way Ferguson has done. It's a safe bet.

• Advertisement

Sacramento wrote: »
    I would prefer Klopp above them all!

There are pros and cons to all candidates but I think Klopp shades it for me.

Mourinho changes clubs too often and doesn't develop youth like the other two while Moyes lacks experience at the highest level.
    Klopp: ''I have a contract until 2016. I said it at least 20 times, I'm definitely not going anywhere until 2016.''

He says this in pretty much every pre-game press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    The good thing about Moyes is that United could now get that midfielder they've wanted in Fellani. Bad news is that they'll have to watch Rio and co. hoofing it up to him for a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Manuel Pellegrini
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Seems you really want this to be the case tbh. I honestly don't see an issue in saying that United should have won one more Champions League in his time there.

Neither do I really, but there's no doubt that some fans use it to undermine his legacy. Just to put the boot in a little. That's footy fans for you.

Madrid also go who they wanted pretty much player-wise.

They're not the only example, just the one I used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Manuel Pellegrini
    I reckon the way they've announced this, coupled with Mourinho's recent issues in Spain might mean they've come to an agreement to bring in 'The Special One.'

I'm not the biggest fan of Mourinho but it would be great to have him back in the Premiership. And as much as Moyes hsa done with Everton, I can't see him making the jump to one of the biggest teams in the world. The only trophy he's won as a manager was the old Second Division with PNE if memory serves? Can't see the Glazers bringing him in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

R019912 wrote: »
    Grew up watching Sir Alex's United teams, shocked at the news but it had to happen eventually. The greatest manager in history in my opinion, and to anyone that offers the suggestion that he should have won the Champions League more, bear in mind that Madrid have won it twice in his tenure, Bayern Munich once and Inter once. If we didn't have to face arguably the greatest team of all time in 2 finals then surely it would have been more. Thanks Sir Alex, for many great memories

Barca managed to win it twice in 3 years its possible. He had the resources and the added advantage of 27 years to turn utd into a european superpower and he didnt manage it. Its nothing to do with luck or facing the greatest team of all time ,if he is the greatest surely he would have made utd the greatest side of all time given everything that was in his favour.
    He did a brilliant job and has completely dominated engalnd and put utd in a great position going forward, but on a european stage he has come up short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Madrid have won it three times since 86, by the way. Milan 5 times, Barca 3, Porto and United 2. Juventus and Liverpool narrowly miss out on a 2nd also, while Bayern or Dortmund will be adding their second soon.

This is very important to note. Think some people also mix up the old European Cup with the new format of the Champions League, which has proven much more difficult to win.

Ferguson also had the deal with the fallout from the Heysel ban, which impacted on the strength of the English sides in the early years of the CL, and also had to face possibly the greatest club side ever at their peak in two finals. All in all, 2 Champions Leagues and another 2 finals is a very good record.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Jürgen Klopp
    No Steve Staunton in the poll!? Finally his genius would be fully appreciated.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMI2RfgZQIcfRE-getAgwfTQ1G5mnt0azL4tg5hWB2reV0QNgsRg

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Jürgen Klopp
    I'm in the camp of hoping its not Moyes....I don't want him to leave Everton.

It's really not hard to see why Moyes is being so heavily tipped, Glaswegian, loyal to the cause, built a number of solid teams over the course of a number of years....remind you of anyone? It's clear as day that SAF will have an input on who he wants his successor to be, and I'm sure he will want a manager who will be there for the very long term. Jose this ain't.

Will be interesting where this leaves Wayne Rooney next year? Moyes sued Rooney for libel IIRC around 2006, mad to think this could come full circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Jürgen Klopp
    In honour of Sir Alex Ferguson , this weekend's Premier League games will all have 4 minutes added on !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In honour of Sir Alex Ferguson , this weekend's Premier League games will all have 4 minutes added on !!

Rubbish. There'll be a minutes applause before each game which will be extended to seven minutes. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Barcelona have won it 4 times since 86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Will be interesting where this leaves Wayne Rooney next year? Moyes sued Rooney for libel IIRC around 2006, mad to think this could come full circle.

Rooney supposedly wants to go Bayern. Could this be why?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just realised that Rafa Benitez is very likely to be the last person to beat Alex Ferguson's Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

heard lou macari on rte 1. he all but said it'd be david moyes.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Jürgen Klopp
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Nope, it isn't. Wages count too and account for the vast majority of club spending. Only Chelsea and recently City have had comparable or greater resources than United, and particularly in the case of Chelsea, managers there have had to contend with an overbearing owner and great levels of instability.
    Blatter wrote: »
    This is very important to note. Think some people also mix up the old European Cup with the new format of the Champions League, which has proven much more difficult to win.
    Which really, just muddies the waters even further!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jürgen Klopp
    digzy wrote: »
    heard lou macari on rte 1. he all but said it'd be david moyes.

He's as bad as his buddy Crerand, and you could see this morning how clued in he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jürgen Klopp
    Thread fail - no David O' Leary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sam Wallace @SamWallaceIndy
    #MUFC sources say Mourinho was never in the running to succeed Ferguson. As far as they're concerned his deal with #CFC is done & dusted ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Jürgen Klopp
    ShaneU wrote: »

I just wanted to offer them Alan Mattews :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

how reliable is Marcotti though?

seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Jürgen Klopp
    Had a cheeky tenner on Capello at 999/1. Thought about Wenger too.

Moyes has got very, very short just now. Announcement imminent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Just realised that Rafa Benitez is very likely to be the last person to beat Alex Ferguson's Manchester United.
    What has that got to do with anything?
    Jesus, talk about small victories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Jürgen Klopp
    Think we'll be seeing Moyes in the dugout next season!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement