Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jürgen Klopp
    ShaneU wrote: »

Wonder what their source is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    Just realised that Rafa Benitez is very likely to be the last person to beat Alex Ferguson's Manchester United.

well you still might be the first person to realise it as noone else even considered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Blatter wrote: »
    This is very important to note. Think some people also mix up the old European Cup with the new format of the Champions League, which has proven much more difficult to win.

It is not as straightforward as that. To win the old European Cup meant first of all winning the English First Division, thus overcoming all domestic competitors. Manchester United did not win the Premier League in 1997/98 and thus would not have been playing Champions League in 1998/99 under the rules of the old European Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Jürgen Klopp
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Manuel Pellegrini
    Nope, it isn't. Wages count too and account for the vast majority of club spending. Only Chelsea and recently City have had comparable or greater resources than United, and particularly in the case of Chelsea, managers there have had to contend with an overbearing owner and great levels of instability.

Well it's the selling club that usually commands the fee which is obviously of greater importance when acquiring a player in the first place.

Chelsea, City and some others over the years could afford to pay more to the club for the player, wages too.

Also, United had a wage structure - not just a maximum amount, but rather what they're willing to pay players of certain age and experience.

United have missed out on a lot of players due to the likes of Chelsea etc throwing higher wages around over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fergie is backing Moyes himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

No CL pedigree for the new Man Utd manager? I refuse to believe it's Moyes.

50c on Ancelotti at 400/1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Jürgen Klopp
    ShaneU wrote: »

That story will probably force an announcement one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Jürgen Klopp
    They left Jurgen Klopp alone? Good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jürgen Klopp
    El Spearo wrote: »
    well you still might be the first person to realise it as noone else even considered it.

I did.

Also Chelsea apart from Sunday and possibily inflicting Utd last home defeat under Fergie chelsea are the last team to beat Utd in both Domestic Cups and Communtity shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Jürgen Klopp
    Moyes gone from 4/11 to 1/6

Manuel Pellegrini
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I did.

Also Chelsea apart from Sunday and possibily inflicting Utd last home defeat under Fergie chelsea are the last team to beat Utd in both Domestic Cups and Communtity shield.

I did too. But it was a meaningless game and Rafa never beat him to the title during his meltdown season. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Jürgen Klopp
    He took over the year before I was born so is literally the only United manager I have ever known. Going to be very odd seeing some one else in that job. As much as I hate him, he is probably the best ever and deserves his retirement.

As for who's next, if I were a United fan I'd be looking for someone long term. That isnt Jose. Look at his history and he never sticks around long. He also doesnt leave clubs in the best condition. Moyes hasnt been as successful but has shown the ability to stick around and build long term, with the added bonus of not spending a fortune and still managing to push for Europe. The increase in resources and quality of player could see him maintain United's position with minimal disruption.

As an Arsenal fan however, I hope it's someone like Alex McLeish on a huge guaranteed contract :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

I can only assume it's fans of rival teams that are extolling the virtues of David Moyes.

Jürgen Klopp
    False 9 wrote: »
    I did too. But it was a meaningless game and Rafa never beat him to the title during his meltdown season. :D

Couldnt care less about Rafas time with Liverpool but the game was huge for Chelsea and something Rafa can gloat about for awhile, he probably wont though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

1.15 on Betfair, but only 600k matched on him.

Seems a very low volume for such a short price, if it is indeed a runner...

Manuel Pellegrini
    Couldnt care less about Rafas time with Liverpool but the game was huge for Chelsea and something Rafa can gloat about for awhile, he probably wont though.

I think he'd look pretty silly if he did given the points gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

WealthyB wrote: »
    I can only assume it's fans of rival teams that are extolling the virtues of David Moyes.

Neutral. Think Moyes would be worth the shot. Don't really see why so many people are knocking him in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

cambo2008 wrote: »
    What has that got to do with anything?
    Jesus, talk about small victories.

I suppose you could read it as, ex-Liverpool manager inflicts final defeat of Fergusons career :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This is such a myth. His title opponents have been Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Blackburn and Newcastle. And he was outspent by 4 of those, Arsenal and Newcastle being the others. Indeed, probably his greatest triumph was taking on the financial might of Chelsea and City with lesser resources, and still coming out on top

The big advantage he had over his overspending rivals is that firstly city has had eejits in charge, whilst Chelsea have had great managers (Mourinho, Ancelotti) who were sidelined and run out of the place by the eejit that owns the club.
    ferguson brought solidity to the club, he got his way and was able to do his own thing.
    It was his strength of character as much as his technical ability.

If Chelsea had kept Mourinho/Ancellotti and not had the owner sticking his oar in, how many more titles would they have won ?

As has been proven many times loads of cash badly managed doesn't always equate to success.
    Todd Gack wrote: »
    Barcelona have won it 4 times since 86

For all the waffle about Barca's glorious history they didn't deliver a EC/CL until the 90s and they only truly achieved glory in the last 8 odd years.
    Madrid had a huge gap between their glory years in the 50s and the arrival of the Galácticos in the mid to late 90s.
    They had gone 32 years between winning European Cup/CL.

Football work in cycles.
    Dutch, German and English football dominated in the 70s.
    The late 80s had more of a mix as English teams domination was cut short by Heysel.
    And it looks like it will be domination by German clubs again.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Manuel Pellegrini
    Jernal wrote: »
    Neutral. Think Moyes would be worth the shot. Don't really see why so many people are knocking him in all honesty.

Because you'd be following this:

Manchester United
    Premier League (13): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13
    FA Cup (5): 1989–90, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04
    League Cup (4): 1991–92, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10
    FA Charity/Community Shield (10): 1990 (shared), 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
    UEFA Champions League (2): 1998–99, 2007–08
    UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1990–91
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 1991
    Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

with this:

Everton
    2001-02: 15th (last nine games)
    2002-03: 7th
    2003-04: 17th
    2004-05: 4th (Qualification for UEFA Champions League)
    2005-06: 11th
    2006-07: 6th (Qualification for UEFA Cup)
    2007-08: 5th (Qualification for UEFA Cup)
    2008-09: 5th (Qualification for UEFA Europa League)
    2009-10: 8th
    2010-11: 7th
    2011-12: 7th

Runner-up
    FA Cup (1): 2009

Jürgen Klopp
    I think he'd look pretty silly if he did given the points gap.

Rafa putting one over Fergie no matter how small is something he'll probably enjoy.

Anyway I dont care as long as we can cement 3rd tonight with a win, carry on with your Moyes talk. :pac:

Manuel Pellegrini
    Rafa putting one over Fergie no matter how small is something he'll probably enjoy.

Anyway I dont care as long as we can cement 3rd tonight with a win, carry on with your Moyes talk. :pac:

That's true. :)

No more Moyes talk. Although, regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next season!

Jernal wrote: »

Yes I'm sure all those players who have won league titles and European Cups will be inspired by a new manager who has won nothing.

As an LFC supporter I'd be delighted if MUFC signed Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jürgen Klopp
    Because you'd be following this:

Manchester United
    Premier League (13): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13
    FA Cup (5): 1989–90, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04
    League Cup (4): 1991–92, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10
    FA Charity/Community Shield (10): 1990 (shared), 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
    UEFA Champions League (2): 1998–99, 2007–08
    UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1990–91
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 1991
    Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

with this:

Everton
    2001-02: 15th (last nine games)
    2002-03: 7th
    2003-04: 17th
    2004-05: 4th (Qualification for UEFA Champions League)
    2005-06: 11th
    2006-07: 6th (Qualification for UEFA Cup)
    2007-08: 5th (Qualification for UEFA Cup)
    2008-09: 5th (Qualification for UEFA Europa League)
    2009-10: 8th
    2010-11: 7th
    2011-12: 7th

You are comparing the ambition and resources of one club to another. That doesnt truly reflect the managerial ability of Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Manuel Pellegrini
    Yes I'm sure all those players who have won league titles and European Cups will be inspired by a new manager who has won nothing.

As an LFC supporter I'd be delighted if MUFC signed Moyes.

That logic is just bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Jürgen Klopp
    Wishing him all the best for his retirement :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It is not as straightforward as that. To win the old European Cup meant first of all winning the English First Division, thus overcoming all domestic competitors. Manchester United did not win the Premier League in 1997/98 and thus would not have been playing Champions League in 1998/99 under the rules of the old European Cup.

Yes there are arguments for and against with regards which competition was harder to win but the hard evidence (the fact that teams have won the the CL less regularly and no team has defended it) lies with the argument that the CL is more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Dempsey wrote: »
    You are comparing the ambition and resources of one club to another. That doesnt truly reflect the managerial ability of Moyes.

St. Mirren
    Scottish First Division (1): 1976–77

Aberdeen
    Scottish Premier Division (3): 1979–80, 1983–84, 1984–85
    Scottish Cup (4): 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86
    Scottish League Cup (1): 1985–86
    UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1982–83
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 1983

How about compare Everton under Moyes with this then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Manuel Pellegrini
    Dempsey wrote: »

He should have at least won a League Cup or FA Cup in his time and done better in Europe.

He is not a bad manager, but no way is he good enough to take over Manchester United after Ferguson.

AdamD wrote: »
    That logic is just bizarre.

Explain how please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

not at all.

a very different job to Everton.

getting a team competitive on a small budget is very different to keeping a club challenging in all competitions with a large budget.

plus he's no real pedigree in winning, as much as many want to maybe say that's somewhat irrelevant.

it's the biggest job in club football at this present time, and much of the fanbase is going to expect the club to keep as dominant as they have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Moyes has just gone to 1/7 to get the job.

Jose out to 4's.

Manuel Pellegrini
    Explain how please

Why would players not be motivated working for him just because he hasn't won anything? How would managers ever win anything in the first place if they were unable to motivate players due to their lack of winning. Its just bizarre.

If it does happen to be Moyes, you should all bear in mind that it would have been Ferguson who chose him. I think he knows a thing or two more about football than people on here.

Jürgen Klopp
    He should have at least won a League Cup or FA Cup in his time and done better in Europe.

He is not a bad manager, but no way is he good enough to take over Manchester United after Ferguson.

Alex Ferguson disagrees ;)

SlickRic wrote: »
    not at all.

a very different job to Everton.

getting a team competitive on a small budget is very different to keeping a club challenging in all competitions with a large budget.

plus he's no real pedigree in winning, as much as many want to maybe say that's somewhat irrelevant.

it's the biggest job in club football at this present time, and much of the fanbase is going to expect the club to keep as dominant as they have been.

I think you missed the point. I said "I can only assume it is fans of rival teams extolling Moyes' virtues" because the dog on the street could tell you he's not up to the job.

Manuel Pellegrini
    I think you missed the point. I said "I can only assume it is fans of rival teams extolling Moyes' virtues" because the dog on the street could tell you he's not up to the job.
    Why would players not be motivated working for him just because he hasn't won anything? How would managers ever win anything in the first place if they were unable to motivate players due to their lack of winning. Its just bizarre.

If it does happen to be Moyes, you should all bear in mind that it would have been Ferguson who chose him. I think he knows a thing or two more about football than people on here.
    So your dog knows more than the people in charge at the football club. Tad ridiculous sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Manuel Pellegrini
    Every time I open the main SF page I keep thinking this thread reads "Fergies replacement confirmed" - I'm an idiot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Manuel Pellegrini
    It will end in tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Jürgen Klopp
    I can't help but feel this argument is a stick to beat his legacy with by some people.

As has been stated, in his tenure, Madrid have only one it twice for example. It's a much more difficult trophy to win than it was.

United also go to two other finals against and were defeated by a devastating Barca side.

That's my honest opinion on it.

I think what he did with Aberdeen somewhat counters the argument also.

Amazing man. The greatest of all time in my opinion.

Three times - 98, 00 & 02

The greatest disappointment, from my perspective, was Utd never kicked on from the '99 treble and won a couple of more CL trophies in the years that followed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

ITS MOYES !

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/

The Times know all about football !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jürgen Klopp
    Gutted.

Absolutely gutted.

I'm from that generation that only knows Fergie as manager of the club. Going to be very strange to see someone else in the dugout.

With regards successors, I'd be fine with Moyes as manager. I think what he's done at Everton with limited funds has been terrific. I would be concerned about whether or not the job is too big for him, but if it is him, then I know Fergie will give him a ringing endorsement and the fans will get behind him.

Hope Fergie enjoys his retirement, anyway. He's given me some of my favourite football memories.

Jürgen Klopp
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    St. Mirren
    Scottish First Division (1): 1976–77

Aberdeen
    Scottish Premier Division (3): 1979–80, 1983–84, 1984–85
    Scottish Cup (4): 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86
    Scottish League Cup (1): 1985–86
    UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1982–83
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 1983

How about compare Everton under Moyes with this then.

According to this forum, anyone can win up in Scotland when you have a competitive budget. :pac:

Moyes is not Ferguson, never will be and United fans are going to have to accept that nobody will match him but at the moment, United wont do much better than Moyes as a replacement tbh

You think they are going to fork out £30m on the buyout of Mourinho's contract or go for Moyes on a freebie?? Going by the comments in this thread, the replacement is going to freeze in fergies shadow no matter who he is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jürgen Klopp
    Carlos Queiroz please :)

You don't seem to grasp the mentality of the modern player at all. have a look at Chelsea's recent history and how the players responded to AVB and Big Phil for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jürgen Klopp
    Delighted for Moyes if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Jürgen Klopp
    paddy power now have moyes at 1-25

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement