Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

AdamD wrote: »
    So your dog knows more than the people in charge at the football club. Tad ridiculous sir.

Oh didn't realise figures of speech were taken at literal value. Great argument there.

You don't give jobs like the Utd Manager to people with CV's like Moyes, it's just too risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Jürgen Klopp
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    1.15 on Betfair, but only 600k matched on him.

Seems a very low volume for such a short price, if it is indeed a runner...

It's quite a lot really for a manager market.

Fact: It's the longest running market on Betfair!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Manuel Pellegrini
    I'd love to be as confident as others about Moyes being a long term choice, but I don't know why people are so sure he'd be there for ever. Would that be regardless of results?

As I see it, we need two things in a manager; longevity and ability to win big.

Jose has the second, clearly, but might have the first as well.

Moyes might have the first but only might have the second as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Moyes is relatively unknown outside Britain, this will come as an underwhelming shock for many UTD. fans abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jürgen Klopp
    Most successful British manager in history, there never was and probably never will be another like him.

Hope he enjoys his retirement, he deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So if Moyes gets it, who do people see as going to Everton ?

Perhaps Martinez if Wigan get relegated ?
    Or does anyone know if Aarry fances living North of Tottenham ?

Anyway back on topic.
    Does anyone think it is bad idea that fergie will still be involved with the club ?
    Will that not cast a shadow over the new guy and possibly add to the pressure and can someone like ferguson be trusted to keep his opinion to himself ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Montroseee wrote: »
    Moyes is relatively unknown outside Britain, this will come as an underwhelming shock for many UTD. fans abroad.

They still watch the Premier League as it's on 24/7 in Asia for example, so they'd probably be more familiar with Moyes than they would someone like Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

WealthyB wrote: »
    You don't give jobs like the Utd Manager to people with CV's like Moyes, it's just too risky.

assuming José to Chelsea was already a done deal, and knowing Pep is off to Bayern, who wouldn't be a risk to succeed Fergie?

i'm not convinced by Moyes' ability to do the job, but given time, he'll give it a good crack I'd say, and could well turn out to be a success.

i just don't know if he'll hit the ground running fast enough for some of the fickle parts of the fanbase. you will have elements of the fanbase who will be confused if it's not a seamless transition and want him out.

the key to all of this is not expecting Fergie Mk II. that just isn't going to happen, and there's no point pining for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    good lord...sky sports has crashed
    mother of god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You don't seem to grasp the mentality of the modern player at all. have a look at Chelsea's recent history and how the players responded to AVB and Big Phil for a start.

They had to deal with this fella & his gang.

531554297.jpg?1330979432

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Manuel Pellegrini
    Oh didn't realise figures of speech were taken at literal value. Great argument there.

Oh right, thanks for your wealth of knowledge. United should really have gotten you to choose their next manager when you quite clearly have a superior knowledge to people who have suggested Moyes. Literal value or not, you've made the statement in bold twice, which is an opinion, and portrayed it as fact.

I wonder does Alex Ferguson realise that you just don't give the job to people with CV's like Moyes. :rolleyes:

jmayo wrote: »

Anyway back on topic.
    Does anyone think it is bad idea that fergie will still be involved with the club ?
    Will that not cast a shadow over the new guy and possibly add to the pressure and can someone like ferguson be trusted to keep his opinion to himself ?

A dreadful idea. When Shankly gave up his dynasty at Liverpool and handed the reigns to Bob Paisley, he stayed away from the club for the exact reason that it was a new man now.

The moment the new manager suffers a dip everyone associated with the club will be looking to Fergie. They won't say it, but they'll be thinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Manuel Pellegrini
    jmayo wrote: »

Anyway back on topic.

I'd like to see Solsjkear cut his teeth in the PL. He might know of some decent cheap players in Scandanavia he could take with him.

I don't rate Martinez and I like Everton so I wouldn't like to see them landed with him.

Wigan are enternally stagnant under him.

Redknapp? It would be a good place for him to prove himself again in his eyes, but from an Everton point of view I reckon it would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rafa will be free in a couple of weeks.At least at Everton he'd be back on Merseyside and it'd piss off the Liverpool fans no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Jürgen Klopp
    This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Oh right, thanks for your wealth of knowledge. United should really have gotten you to choose their next manager when you quite clearly have a superior knowledge to people who have suggested Moyes. Literal value or not, you've made the statement in bold twice, which is an opinion, and portrayed it as fact.

I wonder does Alex Ferguson realise that you just don't give the job to people with CV's like Moyes. :rolleyes:

Your posts are getting increasingly personal, and not addressing the issue at all that you first disagreed with me on.

If you can, please explain why the players at Chelsea didn't respond to Big Phil (World Cup Winner) or AVB (Treble Winner, undefeated league season)

And then explain why it's bizarre of me to claim a manager who has won nothing may have trouble motivating a group of League and Champions League Winners.

Thanks in advance :cool:

Jürgen Klopp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Manuel Pellegrini
    A dreadful idea. When Shankly gave up his dynasty at Liverpool and handed the reigns to Bob Paisley, he stayed away from the club for the exact reason that it was a new man now.

The moment the new manager suffers a dip everyone associated with the club will be looking to Fergie. They won't say it, but they'll be thinking it.

actually kept turning up to watch training and was eventually told to f*$k off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jürgen Klopp
    Moyes confirmed I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jürgen Klopp
    Peter Schmeichel ‏@Pschmeichel1 2m

And as we're tweeting, confirmation that David Moyes will be named the next Manchester United manager.

Seems to be a done deal

• Advertisement

Manuel Pellegrini
    And then explain why it's bizarre of me to claim a manager who has won nothing may have trouble motivating a group of League and Champions League Winners.

I think the next managers ability to get the players to believe in what they're doing will prove crucial when the chips are down.

Maybe, Moyes can. We don't really know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Manuel Pellegrini
    Your posts are getting increasingly personal, and not addressing the issue at all that you first disagreed with me on.

If you can, please explain why the players at Chelsea didn't respond to Big Phil (World Cup Winner) or AVB (Treble Winner, undefeated league season)

Thanks in advance :cool:

That's funny because you've just given 2 examples which don't even fit into what you originally said. You said that they won't respond to a manager who hasn't won anything and yet you give 2 examples of a team not responding to managers who have won trophies.
    Yes I'm sure all those players who have won league titles and European Cups will be inspired by a new manager who has won nothing.

As an LFC supporter I'd be delighted if MUFC signed Moyes.

I've taken issue with your other points as they have been written as if they're factual when in reality they are up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think Moyes will be a success if given time, the question is will he get time? United have been under the same stewardship for decades now, if a new manager was to come in and fail to challenge for the league or make an early Champions League exit, the pressure will be on immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Let's see what Moyes can do. The best manager outside SAF in the PL bar Wenger.

False 9 wrote: »
    I think the next managers ability to get the players to believe in what they're doing will prove crucial when the chips are down.

Maybe, Moyes can. We don't really know.

It's an unnecessary and huge risk to take though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Manuel Pellegrini
    It's an unnecessary and huge risk to take though.

This is true. If he is appointed then we have to assume United have taken all this into consideration.

It's not a decision they'd have come to lightly.

Some of the Everton posters were calling for Moyes head a few weeks ago.

I think Ferguson is the main driving force behind Moyes getting the nod. It's clear he sees him as someone in the same mold, with the same values and he believes he will offer an easy continuation of the work he's done.

Other
    I think Ferguson is the main driving force behind Moyes getting the nod. It's clear he sees him as someone in the same mold, with the same values and he believes he will offer an easy continuation of the work he's done. Scottish.

FYP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Manuel Pellegrini
    rarnes1 wrote: »

Fickle. Had a great chance to win the FA Cup but never performed on the day again a team that they could beat 9 seasons out of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

rarnes1 wrote: »

They were pissed off with the fact that he hadn't signed a new contract though, context is quite important!

Surprised that Laurent Blanc has at least been linked with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    Blatter wrote: »
    They were pissed off with the fact that he hadn't signed a new contract though, context is quite important!

I think his failure to perform in important games was also a factor. Seemed to be a feeling he took the club as far as he could.

That's funny because you've just given 2 examples which don't even fit into what you originally said. You said that they won't respond to a manager who hasn't won anything and yet you give 2 examples of a team not responding to managers who have won trophies.

So you can't answer the point then, no worries.
    I've taken issue with your other points as they have been written as if they're factual when in reality they are up for debate.

Fine, take umbrage all you want. but there's at least 20 managers out there of a higher pedigree and better track record than Moyes who would jump at the job if it was offered to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Dempsey wrote: »
    Seems to be a done deal

Then followed it with,
    Peter Schmeichel @Pschmeichel1
    Oops, I might have jumped the gun a bit saying Moyes is confirmed. I was reacting to The Times Sport tweet that I retweeted before. Sorry!!

I think its a done deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

zerks wrote: »
    Rafa will be free in a couple of weeks.At least at Everton he'd be back on Merseyside and it'd piss off the Liverpool fans no end.

Because at the end of the day that's the only thing that's important,eh zerks? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp
    I think Moyes will be a success if given time, the question is will he get time? United have been under the same stewardship for decades now, if a new manager was to come in and fail to challenge for the league or make an early Champions League exit, the pressure will be on immediately.

All comparisons to Ferguson are futile. The man was a genuine phenomenon and any comparisons or ambitions will inevitably fall short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Blatter wrote: »
    Yes there are arguments for and against with regards which competition was harder to win but the hard evidence (the fact that teams have won the the CL less regularly and no team has defended it) lies with the argument that the CL is more difficult.

And yet the first fifteen Champions League winners (where entry was not confined solely to champions) covered nine clubs, including eight who already had European Cup success, whereas the last fifteen European Cup winners covered twelve clubs, including nine winning their first European Cup / Champions League and six winning their only European Cup / Champions League.

I'm happy to agree to disagree, as it is all a matter of opinion anyway. I just feel the European Cup is dismissed too much in comparisons with the Champions League, whilst not taking into consideration the difficulties qualifying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

murpho999 wrote: »
    Of course, that's why Utd made such a big deal about their 19th title and would love to have 5 European cups.

Not rivals at all.

That's also why they never sell or lend players to each other too.

They aren't rivals when it comes to competing for trophies, they dont sell players to each other because they don't like one another and the fans in particular dont like one another.

But no they are not rivals, again as I said City and Chelsea are Utd's rivals these days.

The 19 titles and 5 European Cups is just banter, not rivalry to call it rivalry would be to say that all clubs are rivals, as there is always that sort of banter between fans and clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I think Ferguson is the main driving force behind Moyes getting the nod. It's clear he sees him as someone in the same mold, with the same values and he believes he will offer an easy continuation of the work he's done.

Methinks that Moyes might be more easily to influence as well. Also they speak the same language :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Manuel Pellegrini
    Intriguing choice if true, famously potless, and never winning away at an old Big Four ground no European experience, a quite high number of long balls as compared to Utd under Fergie, terrible history regarding centre forwards (great for 6 months then puuuft!).

Manuel Pellegrini
    Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Methinks that Moyes might be more easily to influence as well.

Ferguson has always stressed the importance of letting the new manager get on with things, but that he'd be there to give advice if he wanted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Manuel Pellegrini
    I would be pleased if Phil Brown was Utd's next manager.

Jürgen Klopp

• Advertisement

Manuel Pellegrini
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Was anything announced at NY stock exchange?

Just that the share price dropped 5% in the opening 10 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jürgen Klopp
    taytothief wrote: »
    I would be pleased if Phil Brown was Utd's next manager.
    What do you get out of making a ludicrous comment like that? Its not funny, its never going to happen so whats the point of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

False 9 wrote: »
    Ferguson has always stressed the importance of letting the new manager get on with things, but that he'd be there to give advice if he wanted it.

Its gonna be tough for Moyes to be his own man, to please the club, the fans and Ferguson. There might be a little left to please himself. I think he is a solid manager and may prove to be tough and safe for the transition period at OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think his failure to perform in important games was also a factor. Seemed to be a feeling he took the club as far as he could.

Well that says a lot more about the fans (that were calling for his head) being retarded than it does about Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I'm sure Liverpool fans everywhere are rejoicing at the thought of Moyes being the next Utd manager.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement