Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Jürgen Klopp
    interesting to see how he handles big egos, everton´s success comes from their unity as a group. He´ll have to stamp his authority on Man U pretty quickly. As a Liverpool supporter I would wish him well, he´s earned it.

The b@stard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

spiralism wrote: »
    I'm sure Liverpool fans everywhere are rejoicing at the thought of Moyes being the next Utd manager.

Why so Liverpool might finish 6th instead if 7th?

It doesn't really concern them atm

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jürgen Klopp
    Assuming it is Moyes it is a fairly underwhelming appointment, although he could of course turn out to do a good job there. Might be a big summer if Rooney and Ferdinand decide to leave though, with Fellaini and Baines possibly joining. Nani and Anderson are others rumoured to be on their way out as well, but either way it will be a big summer of change at OT, even if they are quiet on the transfer front.

I wonder will he have the same control over ins and outs that Ferguson had or will Ferguson still continue to have a say on that front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp

Always good to watch your rivals demise - well that's what I've learnt from United fans anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Manuel Pellegrini
    Always good to watch your rivals demise - well that's what I've learnt from United fans anyway.

I really dont think United fans are concerned by anything that goes on at Liverpool anymore.

Also, there has been no demise at United.

Jürgen Klopp
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I really dont think United fans are concerned by anything that goes on at Liverpool anymore.

Also, there has been no demise at United.

:pac:

Moyes 1/5
    Jose 7/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Because at the end of the day that's the only thing that's important,eh zerks? :rolleyes:

in fairness to rafa, not that he will get the job anyway, he has some great experience and more importantly won trophies domestic and european with some big clubs, LFC, valencia and probably the europa league with chelsea. that said moyes does deserve a chance to win some trophies despite coming close to the fa cup a few times with everton

Jürgen Klopp
    Blatter wrote: »
    Well that says a lot more about the fans (that were calling for his head) being retarded than it does about Moyes.

At the end of the day what's so good about celebrating finishing 6th or so and pretty much never making it into Europe? I'd be happier as a Swansea fan this season than Everton.

Let's see what Moyes can do. The best manager outside SAF in the PL bar Wenger.

article-2037005-02A525200000044D-616_468x390.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Strange to think he's still 1/5, when so many people seem so sure it's a done deal :S

Perhaps a twist is yet to come...

Other
    At the end of the day what's so good about celebrating finishing 6th or so and pretty much never making it into Europe? I'd be happier as a Swansea fan this season than Everton.

But you'd be happier as an Everton fan than a Liverpool fan the past two season right? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Both of our bitter derby rivals changing managers this summer would absolutely be of interest to and concern us. Don't be silly.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Then followed it with,
    Peter Schmeichel @Pschmeichel1

I think its a done deal.

Still 1/4 on betfair if it's a done deal ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

El Spearo wrote: »
    oh gway back under your bridge. thats bs. and whats more is there are likely many liverpool fans here who totally disagree with ya.

Fixed that for you. Fact is LFC wish they could rival Utd.

Sacramento wrote: »
    But you'd be happier as an Everton fan than a Liverpool fan the past two season right? :pac:

No? Liverpool have a trophy and another Cup Final to their name over this two year period along with a European tie post Christmas. Everton, as usual, don't have much to show for their dotted good performances throughout the year. The FA Cup loss against Wigan has to smart an awful lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

For the love of god cut out the Liverpool vs United crap.

Jürgen Klopp
    Sacramento wrote: »

Certainly not.

_58738290_gerrard-pa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Manuel Pellegrini
    Ryan Giggs and/or Gary Neville?

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Strange to think he's still 1/5, when so many people seem so sure it's a done deal :S

Perhaps a twist is yet to come...

What is Wenger priced at out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Results should be measured against expectation. He's spent an average of £1.5m net a season. Did people really expect him to do better? Could Mourinho have done much better on that budget?

200/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Mourinho would give instant success but probably wouldn't stick around and could potentially leave the club in a bit of a state when he leaves.

Moyes is the long shot; he has proven that he can continuously motivate and reinvigorate his team but he has won nothing.

The board will need to decide which is their preference; long term stability or short term success.

As a Chelsea fan, I'm going to stick up for Mourinho. José's battles at Chelsea were to do with control of the team, transfers (Shevchenko was Abramovich's bright idea), battling interference from the Directors of Football etc., etc., etc.

In short, what he wanted was complete control of the footballing side of things, and the owner/bureaucrats etc to do everything else. In other words, precisely the set-up SAF had at Man U.

Take all that away and all you have is a manager who builds winning teams and creates fireworks at press conferences and after-match interviews. The kind of things Suralex used to do for breakfast.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    200/1

Worth a euro imo. ;)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Worth a euro imo. ;)

I'm already all-in an Carlo Ancelotti - 50c at 400/1 :D

• Advertisement

Jürgen Klopp
    Blatter wrote: »
    Results should be measured against expectation. He's spent an average of £1.5m net a season. Did people really expect him to do better? Could Mourinho have done much better on that budget?

Swansea net spent has been even lower but it hasn't stopped them winning a trophy. For all of his supposed greatness I'd expect him to have a much better record in crucial matches and cup matches. Everton haven't been us at home under him, doesn't think he's ever been Chelsea, Arsenal or United away from home either. Huge question marks about his ability to perform in big games when the pressure is on I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Other
    I have a sneaking feeling it's going to be Klopp to replace Ferguson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It just seems odd to me that this announcement comes a couple of days after more or less confirmation that Jose is going to Chelsea. A lot has changed in the last few months with Guardiola going to Bayern and Mourinho looking certain to leave. I'd say the odds reflect that everybody thinks Mourinho is a cert for Chelsea. That was true 2 days ago, I'm not so sure now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Swansea net spent has been even lower but it hasn't stopped them winning a trophy. For all of his supposed greatness I'd expect him to have a much better record in crucial matches and cup matches. Everton haven't been us at home under him, doesn't think he's ever been Chelsea, Arsenal or United away from home either. Huge question marks about his ability to perform in big games when the pressure is on I think.

Swansea aren't really a good comparison as they haven't sustained it for anywhere near as long as Moyes has at Everton.

I wouldn't be too worried about his record in big games, as the vast majority of the time he'll have been a significant underdog. I'd consider games against clubs that have a similar wage budget/expectations as 'big games' for Moyes and to be fair he has done very well in that regard.

He wouldn't be my first choice at all but I can see why he was fancied by SAF and others at the club. Organises his teams well, has a good eye in the transfer market, very few dressing room problems, likely to stick around for the long hall if successful etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Just thinking, this must be a totally new experience to many Utd fans. Well....welcome to the real world guys and gals! I have a feeling we will see this thread title quiet a few times over the next few years.

Edit: Personally whoever gets it next will go pretty early(1-1.5 seasons max), and it will take 2 or 3 managers before things settle.

• Advertisement

Funny how times change.

One time Martin O Neill would have been favourite or certainly one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I am pie wrote: »
    everton´s success comes from their unity as a group./QUOTE]

How many idiots have stated this United team is one of the "worst ever" - now those same idiots are using this line above as a reasoning for Moyes to be derided.

It can't be both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anyone wrote: »
    Just thinking, this must be a totally new experience to many Utd fans. Well....welcome to the real world guys and gals! I have a feeling we will see this thread title quiet a few times over the next few years.

Edit: Personally whoever gets it next will go pretty early(1-1.5 seasons max), and it will take 2 or 3 managers before things settle.

I got giggle out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Alan Curbishely was 2nd favorite long time ago too.

Bruce Millington editor of racing post backed him 15 plus years ago at 6/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

As a Liverpool fan, I have to say he will be missed

Never mind the club rivalries, he is IMO the greatest manager to ever walk the earth. It was always going to be a sad day for football when he decided to retire, and now that day is today. I feel old now :(

I genuinely will miss him, and wish him the best in his retirement. United will never be the same again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Jürgen Klopp
    Would Utd fans prefer a more experienced manager at the helm for a couple of years like maybe Capello, Hitzfeld, Lippi or Jupp Heynckes? The latter is not likely to retire (despite what the German media are saying) and has won the CL before at Real (and may do again at Bayern)

Of the other managers who may be available, discounting Mourinho as he looks to be Chelsea bound, what about Pellegrini of Malaga?

He did a really great job at Villarreal, did a good job at Real (record points total haul while up against THAT Barca team) and has battled the odds at Malaga with great success......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jose Mourinho
    taytothief wrote: »
    I would be pleased if Phil Brown was Utd's next manager.

So would I - and I support Southend. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp
    Daemos wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan, I have to say he will be missed

Never mind the club rivalries, he is IMO the greatest manager to ever walk the earth. It was always going to be a sad day for football when he decided to retire, and now that day is today. I feel old now :(

I genuinely will miss him, and wish him the best in his retirement. United will never be the same again

I'm a Liverpool fan, and would put him up there with Shanks, Paisley, Clough etc as the greatest manager in the history of English football. A huge loss for United, there's nobody in the world who can adequately replace him. I won't however miss him in the slightest though, today is a day to celebrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Moyes is unproven.

He may be a success but it's an utterly 50/50 shot at this stage.

No International experience, no European experience and little experience dealing with world class players of United standard.

This is a huge risk from a club who didn't need to take one.

I'm fearful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp
    jimjamcos wrote: »
    Moyes is unproven.

He may be a success but it's an utterly 50/50 shot at this stage.

No International experience, no European experience and little experience dealing with world class players of United standard.

This is a huge risk from a club who didn't need to take one.

I'm fearful.

I don't know who is a dead cert to get it right at United though. Mourinho is too flakey and isn't a man you could rely on for the long term in my opinion. Guardiola maybe, but he still has to do a lot more to totally convince me. I'd actually prefer Klopp to Guardiola, I think his football style with suit the premiership and United more than Guardiola's. To be honest though, I think Moyes is as good a bet as any of the them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jürgen Klopp
    jimjamcos wrote: »
    David O' Leary?

Managed abroad at Al Ahli - check!
    European experience getting Leeds to the Champions League semi-final - check!
    Managed world class players (Rio at Leeds?) - Check!

Sign him up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

David O' Leary?

Managed abroad at Al Ahli - check!
    European experience getting Leeds to the Champions League semi-final - check!
    Managed world class players (Rio at Leeds?) - Check!

Sign him up!

Hodgson has loads of European experience! Managed Joe Cole too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Jürgen Klopp
    I hope it is Moyes. I've always wanted to see what he could do with a bigger transfer budget.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'm not convinced about the success of Moyes at Everton. Everton are a big club - where do we expect them to finish, regardless of who is managing them. What teams are they ahead of that you would expect them to be behind, year after year - Liverpool is the only team that might have merit. All the others would be rated below Everton - maybe Newcastle would have a shout be they are too inconsistent.

The truth is that Moyes is an above average manager in a four tier league. He's managed to keep Everton at the mid/bottom of the 2nd tier, consistently. Nothing more than you would expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I'm not convinced about the success of Moyes at Everton. Everton are a big club - where do we expect them to finish, regardless of who is managing them. What teams are they ahead of that you would expect them to be behind, year after year - Liverpool is the only team that might have merit. All the others would be rated below Everton - maybe Newcastle would have a shout be they are too inconsistent.

The truth is that Moyes is an above average manager in a four tier league. He's managed to keep Everton at the mid/bottom of the 2nd tier, consistently. Nothing more than you would expect

Every club in and around them have spent massive sums in comparison. I don't think it's up for debate that he's done a great job at Everton under the circumstances. Whether he can do it under different circumstances is another matter.

Massive gamble if it is Moyes.

Such a big gamble that I still think it could be Mourinhio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Manuel Pellegrini
    Having a manager who will stay for 10+ years is extremely improbable in the modern era. That shouldn't be at the forefront of decisions in my view - getting 4/5 years out of a manager successful is perfectly fine in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jürgen Klopp
    Hyzepher wrote: »

Thing is he has done that while losing players every year to bigger clubs. Over the past four season he lost Arteta, Lescott, Pienaar and Rodwell. Obviously he got Pienaar back but every season when it looks like he has a really good team just settling in he is forced to sell one of his top players. Its not like being at United, City, Chelsea or even Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs who have plenty of funds to go and buy big name players.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Every club in and around them have spent massive sums in comparison. I don't think it's up for debate that he's done a great job at Everton under the circumstances. Whether he can do it under different circumstances is another matter.

Don't really accept that as proof that he's a good manager. Look at Liverpool to see that money doesn't mean success.

The point I'm making is that regardless of spend, and I think Everton are in the top ten of nett spenders, what teams have Everton out performed that you would think they shouldn't based on squad, club size etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I was 7 when he was appointed so I don't know united without Alex Ferguson as the manager.

As a Liverpool fan, I can honestly say he will be missed. I personally think he is the greatest manager of all time and he will not be replaced.

It's the end of an era and I can't wait to see how it pans out next season.

He's a living legend of the game and I am delighted I got to witness his tenure at United.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement