Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Jürgen Klopp
    W123-80's wrote: »
    I was 7 when he was appointed so I don't know united without Alex Ferguson as the manager.

As a Liverpool fan, I can honestly say he will be missed. I personally think he is the greatest manager of all time and he will not be replaced.

It's the end of an era and I can't wait to see how it pans out next season.

He's a living legend of the game and I am delighted I got to witness his tenure at United.

NOT a Liverpool fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Manuel Pellegrini
    I really think the appointment of Moyes would be the beginning of the end of United as a force.

Fergie was what United had, that stopped them from succumbing to City and Chelsea's millions. Can't see Moyes being able to replicate that. Both Mancini and Mourinho are better managers, if it is them with City and Chelsea next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I wasn't born when Fergie was appointed. Spoiled rotten with Fergie through the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Manuel Pellegrini
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Massive gamble if it is Moyes.

Such a big gamble that I still think it could be Mourinhio.

Bar the bookies odds, there really is very little real information as to why Moyes is supposedly such a shoe-in. And usually bookies odds for next manager is the most unreliable of all markets. Sure Moyes is 5/2 favourite to be the next Arsenal manager!

Moyes makes very little sense for United. Mourinho is the obvious choice, but there's other good choices out there too.

CSF wrote: »
    I really think the appointment of Moyes would be the beginning of the end of United as a force.

Fergie was what United had, that stopped them from succumbing to City and Chelsea's millions. Can't see Moyes being able to replicate that. Both Mancini and Mourinho are better managers, if it is them with City and Chelsea next year.

We've been in decline for years some will tell you. Thankfully in the real world it's just wishful thinking by opposition fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Manuel Pellegrini
    The worst thing about all this is that **** Scouser-one wish left joke. It's only been made a million time today.

Manuel Pellegrini
    We've been in decline for years some will tell you. Thankfully in the real world it's just wishful thinking by opposition fans.

I'm not an opposition fan. The points I've made are fairly valid. How will Moyes compete against better managers than him who have more resources to work with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Don't really accept that as proof that he's a good manager. Look at Liverpool to see that money doesn't mean success.
    Liverpool have managed to spend a lot of money and still be mediocre at best. That paints more of a picture of their management and doesn't have a bearing on anything else.

To average a spend of 1.5m a year (from what's been said here) and lose the players they did and still finish respectably year after year is not something to be ignored.

I'm not an opposition fan. The points I've made are fairly valid. How will Moyes compete against better managers than him who have more resources to work with?

What makes Mancini a better manager? He's been fairly poor for the money he's spent. He's has an awful record in Europe and won Serie A when the teams around him were docked points and relegated and there was a max exodus to Inter.

How do you know they're better? Moyes hasn't had a chance at a side with money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

How will Moyes compete against better managers than him who have more resources to work with?

Hasn't he done pretty well so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Arsene Wenger anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I dont get the reason that the Media are suggesting Moyes will be confirmed as Manager

Sure David Gill has said himself Quote
    "Those are the sort of things we’ll be looking at. Clearly he has to have the requisite football experience, both in terms of domestic and European experience, so I think it’s a small pool but we’ll move forward."

What European experience does Moyes have?

Manuel Pellegrini
    What makes Mancini a better manager? He's been fairly poor for the money he's spend. He's has an awful record in Europe and won Serie when the teams around him were docked points and relegated and there was a max exodus to Inter.

How do you know they're better? Moyes hasn't had a chance at a side with money.

Moyes has been a manager for a long time and has always been very ordinary. Won nothing. Done nothing to suggest he is upto the task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

W123-80's wrote: »
    I was 7 when he was appointed so I don't know united without Alex Ferguson as the manager.

As a Liverpool fan, I can honestly say he will be missed. I personally think he is the greatest manager of all time and he will not be replaced.

It's the end of an era and I can't wait to see how it pans out next season.

He's a living legend of the game and I am delighted I got to witness his tenure at United.

You honestly cant say though that your not disapointed.

Whilst I too feel some of your sentiments (I was 8 when he was appointed), I am absolutly delighted at this news.

Yes we all missed The Special One for a while, and we'll all miss Fergie for a while, but hopefully this might open things up again slightly.

Not a all jealous of his success.

:o

Manuel Pellegrini
    Hasn't he done pretty well so far?

No not really. Not for what united need.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Jürgen Klopp
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Why is Jupp Heynckes in the poll? He has confirmed he is retiring.

Also, why did 2 people vote for Manuel Pellegrini?

Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

irish-stew wrote: »
    You honestly cant say though that your not disapointed.

Whilst I too feel some of your sentiments (I was 8 when he was appointed), I am absolutly delighted at this news.

Yes we all missed The Special One for a while, and we'll all miss Fergie for a while, but hopefully this might open things up again slightly.

Not a all jealous of his success.

:o

Don't get me wrong I'm delighted in certain respects that he is gone, and look forward to seeing how other teams react and look to take advantage.
    The game will definatley miss him, but all things come to an end.

But credit where it's due I guess.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Liverpool have managed to spend a lot of money and still be mediocre at best. That paints more of a picture of their management and doesn't have a bearing on anything else.

To average a spend of 1.5m a year (from what's been said here) and lose the players they did and still finish respectably year after year is not something to be ignored.

But honestly what team below them should be higher. What is Moyes overachieving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp
    WIZE wrote: »

What European experience does Moyes have?

Can't remember, but I imagine they were in the Europa league/Uefa cup a couple of times?

Moyes has been a manager for a long time and has always been very ordinary. Won nothing. Done nothing to suggest he is upto the task.

He's over achieved with Everton for a long time despite getting little money off Kenwright. He's done pretty well in my books. I don't care if he hasn't won anything. The FA Cup and Carling Cup don't really matter anymore in the grand scheme of things. If he won 2 FA cups it wouldn't make a difference. League performance is a far better measurement of a manager with a limited squad size and budget. Look at Wigan or Birmingham. Both could go down winning trophies. They'd both sell it all for another year in the PL. that's modern football

• Advertisement

But honestly what team below them should be higher. What is Moyes overachieving?
    Are you saying Everton are expected to be there because they are Everton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Multiple teams below him have had multiples of his budget the last few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Can't remember, but I imagine they were in the Europa league/Uefa cup a couple of times?

Champions League qualifiers, once.
    They didn't make it :pac:

Some Europa League runs, highest was the round of 16 IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

keith16 wrote: »
    Greatest manager of all time. Thank you Sir Alex.

Highly successful manager but I'd have to say "the greatest manager of all time" would show more respect for referees and not talk so much nonsense so often in post-match interviews (and also not stop giving post-match interviews for a while because he was sulking). Also, purely in terms of results Mourinho has dominated Ferguson and has a better record albeit over a shorter term, we'll have to wait until the end of Mourinho's career for a final determination.

I am probably obliged to point out that I am Premiership-neutral but while Fergie certainly got amazing results out of pretty much all of his teams (as well as building several great teams), I do feel he let himself down with lots of his comments over the years. He came across as a very unpleasant person who could get away with disgraceful behaviour at times because he was good at his job. He just gave such unbalanced views (not uncommon in managers but not ubiquitous either) and left a sour taste too many times for many neutrals I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Manuel Pellegrini
    How has he overachieved?

Everton are one of Englands biggest clubs. He's had a top half budget and has consistently finished in the top half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Jürgen Klopp

It's the consistency that he's achieved in outperforming the likes of Newcastle Aston Villa ect who've spent bigger that's impressive, not so much overachieving but achieving a certain very acceptable standard nearly always where most others can't come close to that level.

Rezident wrote: »
    Highly successful manager but I'd have to say "the greatest manager of all time" would show more respect for referees and not talk so much nonsense so often in post-match interviews (and also not stop giving post-match interviews for a while because he was sulking). Also, purely in terms of results Mourinho has dominated Ferguson and has a better record albeit over a shorter term, we'll have to wait until the end of Mourinho's career for a final determination.

I am probably obliged to point out that I am Premiership-neutral but while Fergie certainly got amazing results out of pretty much all of his teams (as well as building several great teams), I do feel he let himself down with lots of his comments over the years. He came across as a very unpleasant person who could get away with disgraceful behaviour at times because he was good at his job. He just gave such unbalanced views (not uncommon in managers but not ubiquitous either) and left a sour taste too many times for many neutrals I suspect.
    And all of that has what bearing on his abilities as a manager? It's not a personality contest.
    Just because you didn't like his attitude doesn't make him any less successful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Other
    My money's on Klopp. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

So you are detracting from Ferguson due to his behaviour over the years, but yet say that Mourinho could overtake him as the greatest? You must not pay too much attention to how The Special One conducts himself so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Has Moyes ever faced the pressure of expectation? I mean Everton fans dont expect them to qualify for Europe, either does the Chairman. The fans love him and he has a great relationship with the Chairman. If he does take the job, it will be a massive increase in pressure, should be interesting to see if he can handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jürgen Klopp

By your reasoning then Muhammad Ali cannot be considered the greatest of all time. He didn't always show respect and talked plenty of nonsense. Main thing, though, was he was a winner.

As for Mourinho, Fergie dealt with him and a Chelsea team that boasted the likes of Drogba, Terry, Lampard, Cech etc. A team that had years left in the tank.

In my opinion, the title win of '07 and his taking the title away from a terrific Chelsea side stands as his most impressive title win ever. I think this was his greatest challenge, and I'd be tempted to even put it above winning the first Premier League title, purely due to the fact people were saying the Fergie era was over and the Mourinho era was here to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Manuel Pellegrini
    I'd love to see Moyes get it. It will dispel the myth that he's a great manager.

How he fares in Europe will be massive as he has no CL experience.

Failure to get out of the group stages would heap a lot of pressure on him.

He'll be forgiven not winning a title for 2 or 3 seasons but early knockouts in Europe could be where he slips up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Jürgen Klopp
    I remember there was a time people were touting Martin O'Neill as the next United manager

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Moyes to get it and fail miserably and after four years Man Utd will fall back into the group of Arsenal and Spurs fighting for Champions league qualification. Today will mark the day of Chelsea and Man city dominance of the BPL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Champions League qualifiers, once.
    They didn't make it :pac:.

Should point here though that they didn't make it because they had the fortune of being drawn against the eventual semi finalists : Villareal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    I think Moyes over-achieving has a lot of to do with teams below him under-achieving rather than Moyes being especially amazing.

Manuel Pellegrini
    He's over achieved with Everton for a long time despite getting little money off Kenwright. He's done pretty well in my books. I don't care if he hasn't won anything. The FA Cup and Carling Cup don't really matter anymore in the grand scheme of things. If he won 2 FA cups it wouldn't make a difference. League performance is a far better measurement of a manager with a limited squad size and budget. Look at Wigan or Birmingham. Both could go down winning trophies. They'd both sell it all for another year in the PL. that's modern football

He hasn't qualified for the group stages of the CL either. He has very little to suggest he can move up a notch.

He hasn't actually massively overachieved in most of his seasons with Everton either. And let's not forget how close he came to getting Everton relegated early on. Alot of myths surround David Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I remember there was a time people were touting Martin O'Neill as the next United manager

Yeah I'd give him a go at it, sure look at the success he had at Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jürgen Klopp
    Can't believe some people don't think he has overachieved.

Look at Everton's Premier League finishes prior to his arrival:

Average finish: 14th

And then their finishes post-Moyes:

Average finish: 8th

He has definitely overachieved with the resources available to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp
    Listening to phone ins on talksport makes me rethink the wisdom that everyone deserves a voice. Fúck me.

Manuel Pellegrini

Yes, but not to the extent that he should be getting the United job. Man United should not be appointing a manager who has won nothing, never managed in the Premier League, and has an average Premier League position of 8th.

Doesn't compare in the slightest to what Fergie did before United.

What were the budgets in all those years.

Would probably give a more accurate picture.

He hasn't qualified for the group stages of the CL either. He has very little to suggest he can move up a notch.

He hasn't actually massively overachieved in most of his seasons with Everton either. And let's not forget how close he came to getting Everton relegated early on. Alot of myths surround David Moyes.

He's overachieved at Everton. To suggest otherwise is complete rubbish. Klopp got relegated with Mainz. There are certain clubs that you can bring no further and it becomes hard to win. Moyes hasn't got that break at a big side and now it looks like he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

The difference between 8th and 14th is minimal, both are mid table mediocrity, Moyes will be out of his depth.

Utd need someone who has inside ties with Man Utd such as Gary Neville who I think would make a fantastic manager or an individual with experience of top level management such as Heynckes or Sacchi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

joe123 wrote: »
    NOT a Liverpool fan!

No, I am.
    I wouldn't be much of a football fan though if I tried to argue that Alex Ferguson is not a living legend of the game.!

Obviously I would have prefered if I was witnessing 20 years of Liverpool domination, but such is football and life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Manuel Pellegrini
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    How he fares in Europe will be massive as he has no CL experience.

Failure to get out of the group stages would heap a lot of pressure on him.

He'll be forgiven not winning a title for 2 or 3 seasons but early knockouts in Europe could be where he slips up.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It depends on the manner of it. "Not winning" and "not competing" are different and people recognise that.

As long as they are challenging, in the race and close to the top........he will be given time. But his first season is vital assuming he gets the job. If he ends up like City were this season....12 points off the top.....he will be axed. You can be sure of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    If he replicates Chelseas season this year in the CL and premiership in his first year he'll be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

kona wrote: »
    Be hilarious if they appointed Mourinho! Seriously though I hope it's bollix.

Nah, it will be hilarious if they appointed Roy Hodgson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

It would be hilarious if we appointed SAF.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement