Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

efb wrote: »

That article basically says "We've been told nothing, so until United say something we're just going to fire ahead and start a few rumours, cheers!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    I don't think the claims should be rubbished that quickly. Sure there is a chance it is nonsense but also it is a nonsense idea to rubbish the claims simply because he's been at the helm for so long. It will come to an end some day. Who's to say 20 titles wasn't a good enough milestone for the club to be at for him to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Manuel Pellegrini
    Once we've signed Jose up, fergie can do whatever he likes. Typical, the one time I wouldn't want him to announce his retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

El Spearo wrote: »
    Honest to god question.

Are United supporters concerned that Fergie has created an average squad which is successful because of Fergie? And consequently concerned about is possible exit bring the club down a few pegs?

I cannot deny the sheer dominance of United in the league, but also in my mind is always that thought that Fergie is a large part of it. Sure there are world class players, but there are a lot of average players that Fergie seems to get the absolute best from.

I don't want this to appear as a snide remark, but is there concern that Fergie leaving will lead to the downfall of a simply magnificent United era?

No, it is absolute bollocks. Ferguson isn't that much of a miracle worker, no manager could win stuff as consistently as he has without very good players.

The likes of van Persie, Rooney, Hernandez, Kagawa, Nani, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, de Gea etc. etc. are in no way shape or form 'average'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I thought she left The Black Eyes Peas years ago and went solo?

Will I Am is the talent in the band anyway. They'll be fine without her.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't think the claims should be rubbished that quickly. Sure there is a chance it is nonsense but also it is a nonsense idea to rubbish the claims simply because he's been at the helm for so long. It will come to an end some day. Who's to say 20 titles wasn't a good enough milestone for the club to be at for him to leave.

But there's nothing of substance to the story? No decent quotes or anything. Reeks of bored journalism.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    But there's nothing of substance to the story? No decent quotes or anything. Reeks of bored journalism.

You really think one journalist was just sitting at home this evening and decided to come up with this story?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Manuel Pellegrini
    That article basically says "We've been told nothing, so until United say something we're just going to fire ahead and start a few rumours, cheers!"

Haters will hate, let them at it, but if he does decide to retire good luck to him, he bloody well deserves to life out his twilight years looking back at past glories.

Love him or hate him the man has dedicated over a quarter of his life to Utd and brought them to the pinnacle of English and European football, his feats as a manager (IMO) will never be repeated in my lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Honest to god question.

Are United supporters concerned that Fergie has created an average squad which is successful because of Fergie? And consequently concerned about is possible exit bring the club down a few pegs?

I cannot deny the sheer dominance of United in the league, but also in my mind is always that thought that Fergie is a large part of it. Sure there are world class players, but there are a lot of average players that Fergie seems to get the absolute best from.

I don't want this to appear as a snide remark, but is there concern that Fergie leaving will lead to the downfall of a simply magnificent United era?

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Blatter wrote: »
    No, it is absolute bollocks. Ferguson isn't that much of a miracle worker, no manager could win stuff as consistently as he has without very good players.

The likes of van Persie, Rooney, Hernandez, Kagawa, Nani, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, de Gea etc. etc. are in no way shape or form 'average'.

He won a league with out of form wingers for a whole season, thats a minor miracle nowadays surely :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Manuel Pellegrini
    bassy wrote: »
    Thread and replies are total rubbish,you's must not have a lot to be doing with your selves.

But enjoy the rubbish posted.

Awww, is someone sad that Fergie is leaving?

Moyes to be number 2 to Fergie for a season or two, then moving into the big seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jürgen Klopp
    I heard on ESPN during the City/West Brom game that David Moyes is supposed to be joining United as Fergie's no.2 this upcoming season and will take over the year after. They said it was all still just speculation but that a lot of huge bets had been made before markets were suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I'll genuinely be in a shocked daze if it happens.

That being said, whenever it does happen I'd expect it to be in a scenario like this, i.e. resigns one evening/morning and his successor is announced immediately the next morning/evening in an effort to curb the circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

SSN now talking about literacy ffs

Jürgen Klopp
    Blatter wrote: »

Kagawa - huge potential but hasn't, imo, shown it this year.
    The guys in bold have become distinctly average, but are still getting the job done. I can't help but feel that if they were at any other club, under different control, they wouldn't be managing it anymore.

Granted RVP, Rooney, and Vidic are perphaps some of the best players in the league - Hernandez knocking on that door along with de Gea, but they aren't really the team of world class players people make them out to be.

I'm open to being wrong, and hey I might be. But I've always felt that Ferguson really does get alot more from his players than anyone else could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp
    As the Telegraph article alludes to, any significant information would have to be made public:
    With United now forced to adhere to the strict rules and regulations of the New York Stock Exchange in terms of the release of significant information relating to the running of the club following last August’s partial flotation, any change of management would fall within those requirements.

Where is the "imminent announcement" stuff coming from?? Haven't seen anything about it apart from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp
    Typical United arrogance to even suggest that Moyes would leave a management role at Everton to become an assistant at United :rolleyes:

How would he have any guarantee that in 2 years time they didn't decide to offer the job to Mourinho or somebody else, if they became available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp
    Ok, twitter has gone mental. Hard to separate the wind ups from the intelligent comment.

Typical United arrogance to even suggest that Moyes would leave a management role at Everton to become an assistant at United :rolleyes:

How would he have any guarantee that in 2 years time they didn't decide to offer the job to Mourinho or somebody else, if they became available.

United arrogance?

The rumours have been spread by everyone but United.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You really think one journalist was just sitting at home this evening and decided to come up with this story?

Journalists reacting to bets being placed would be my guess.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

The guys in bold have become distinctly average, but are still getting the job done. I can't help but feel that if they were at any other club, under different control, they wouldn't be managing it anymore.

Granted RVP, Rooney, and Vidic are perphaps some of the best players in the league - Hernandez knocking on that door along with de Gea, but they aren't really the team of world class players people make them out to be.

I'm open to being wrong, and hey I might be. But I've always felt that Ferguson really does get alot more from his players than anyone else could.

Absolute horse ****e, Ferdinand has had possibly the best season of his career and Evra had has his best season in the last 3 - 4 years. Hard to argue Nani's case but he would start on probably any other premier league team bar Chelsea and maybe Man City, I wouldn't call that average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

It'll be bizarre, even as someone who profusely hates Man Utd, to see anyone else at the helm there. Our generation know no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I suspect Jose is on the way in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A sad day for football if/when it happens. Whatever you think about him, his record speaks for itself and backs up the fact that he is a true great. However, with rumours that he needs an operation that would see him miss the start of the season I think it's probably about time he just sat back and enjoyed a bit more time with his family now. Perfect time for him to bow out too after taking the league title back.

Regarding his replacement, out of all the possible managers they could get, David Moyes? Sorry, but I just can't see it. He's done nothing on a stage big enough to prove he is worthy of that job.

If they want a long term successor I'd be looking at Klopp at Dortmund, but Mournho makes a lot of sense to me. Good friends with Fergie off the field, so I'd imagine they'll have talked quite a bit about his eventual retirement. Mourinho will also be out of Madrid in the summer and he gets to tell Roman Abramovich to go and **** himself just as he thinks that he's got Mourinho in as his next manager. Seems perfect for all concerned really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Hope it's rumors but let's be honest this day is going to come eventually. Time catches up with us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Manuel Pellegrini
    It will be weird. It's like the Queen or something. People of a certain age will not know anything different.

I doubt anyone under the age of 30 (born post-1983) will remember any other manager at the helm of United other than Sir Alex.

I may not like his club, but I admire the man as one of the greatest managers of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jürgen Klopp
    When is this press conference suppose to happen

• Advertisement

Jürgen Klopp
    No

Let me first thank you for the submission of your opinion. Secondly I would like to highlight the sheer quality, convincing nature of your retort. I would like to withdraw my arguments as I realise that the evidence you have presented against my claims is simply surmountable and I shall withdraw into the shadows of obscurity. I apologise for wasting your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jürgen Klopp

Who makes United out to be a team of world class players? We have always had no more than 4 or 5 players who could be considered in the top echelons of their position in the world. What we have had for the last 10 years is an incredible squad with good players able to come in and do a job when the best players aren't on their game.

Players like Evans, Young, Smalling, Jones, Hernandez, Valencia, Kagawa etc would be among the best players in any team outside of the top 6. Players like Nani, Carrick, DDG and Ferdinand are among the best in their position in the league and then we have the cream of the crop in Rooney, Vidic and RVP.

If anything, many people underestimate the players at United. The amount of times over the years I've heard; "Well those players were only included in the PFA team of the year because United won the league" or "How can a team with old guys and average players like Young and Valencia win the league?" No, United won the league and their players are in the team of the year because they are the best players in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Paully D wrote: »
    A sad day for football if/when it happens. Whatever you think about him, his record speaks for itself and backs up the fact that he is a true great. However, with rumours that he needs an operation that would see him miss the start of the season I think it's probably about time he just sat back and enjoyed a bit more time with his family now. Perfect time for him to bow out too after taking the league title back.

Regarding his replacement, out of all the possible managers they could get, David Moyes? Sorry, but I just can't see it. He's done nothing on a stage big enough to prove he is worthy of that job.

If they want a long term successor I'd be looking at Klopp at Dortmund, but Mournho makes a lot of sense to me. Good friends with Fergie off the field, so I'd imagine they'll have talked quite a bit about his eventual retirement. Mourinho will also be out of Madrid in the summer and he gets to tell Roman Abramovich to go and **** himself just as he thinks that he's got Mourinho in as his next manager. Seems perfect for all concerned really.

Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Not going to get into it because it's not the place, but I really think people undervalue players that play for United because of who they play under. He's left a squad of massive depth for whoever comes in (whenever that is, because I've a feeling this is much ado over nothing). Like I say, not going to get into the merits of who is world class and not, but I wouldn't swap many of our starting X1 for many others in the league.

In many ways Moyes would be an excellent successor to Ferguson should it happen. He's proven to be very astute in the transfer market, he'll still have Phelan and Muelensteen there in all likelihood, and Fergie will be at his disposal at any juncture. Newstalk said something very valid too earlier in that when people were talking about Jurgen Klopp being a top manager on the way up at Mainz, it was because his sides were very hard to break down for a small side. He made sides think about how they were going to beat his side and I think if Moyes was given the backing of a big side, he'll do well.

Again, I might be wrong but I don't think this is going to happen tomorrow. Will be much ado over nothing if it's a renewal of a Nike deal or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Kagawa is more than potential, he's a quality player that's been injured a good bit and had a settling in period.

Evra has been well above average this season. Ferdinand has never been average while at United. Nani has been injured and has had contractual issues, it's clear he is by no means average.

Whether Hernandez and de Gea are world class is up for debate but the fact is they're well above average and belong in the upper echelon of players in the PL, just like most of the United squad.

Point is, most of the United squad is not average, they are well above it. Thinking that Ferguson is turning average players into very good ones is a complete and utter fallacy.

Let me first thank you for the submission of your opinion. Secondly I would like to highlight the sheer quality, convincing nature of your retort. I would like to withdraw my arguments as I realise that the evidence you have presented against my claims is simply surmountable and I shall withdraw into the shadows of obscurity. I apologise for wasting your time.

I glad to see you have come to your senses and realised your post was just utter bum spew...

Rooney off Munich as well..

Its all happening at OT this past hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jürgen Klopp
    On the Fergie issue, unless something has changed recently or he has decided to disguise his hand over the last couple of weeks, this rumour is bollocks. He has been talking about how he is staying on as recently as the last match programme. He has also been talking about United only bringing one or two players in in the summer, which would be disingenuous if a new manager was to come in. A new manager would definitely bring in more than one or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I see Wolves are linked with Ferguson now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Manuel Pellegrini
    Moyes coming in as assistant definitely seems the most likely announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

sprinkles wrote: »
    I see Wolves are linked with Ferguson now

old news, that Darren ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hope Jose takes over

Other
    Rooney off Munich as well..

Its all happening at OT this past hour.

Only reported by the Mirror as far as I could see, though open to be proved wrong. Stories like this will not be rare this summer.

Jürgen Klopp
    Like to honestly thank those who actually gave good responses to my question. Perhaps I've been harsh in my assessment of United players, and maybe over magnanimous in my assessing Fergies input...or a vicious combination of the two. Just trying to use this purgatory United may find themselves in as a moment of unbiased clarity where I can consider some things such as the judgement of players.

I really like Kagawa, and I rate him highly - taking on board his injuries etc, he could indeed be regarded as simply more than talent.
    Evra - Personally dont like him nor do I rate him. Sure the Suarez thing annoyed me, but whoever was right whoever was wrong, Evra also came out looking a pratt. So I'm opening to accepting that he would need to be playing very well to overcome my bias towards disliking him and judging his performances.

Ferdinand I still don't rate very highly. But that said, I've not seen as much as you guys have so I'm willing to take your word on that one.

Interesting to hear a general feeling that United players have been underrated rather than over rated. Interesting thought.

• Advertisement

Sacramento wrote: »
    Only reported by the Mirror as far as I could see, though open to be proved wrong. Stories like this will not be rare this summer.

saw it on few journos on twitter too.

Tbh I am kinda finding the whole thing funny.

It could well be true, but I say you be rich man now if you got a euro for every F5 been clicked, every few seconds waiting for something to happen.

Im off to bed:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Slow news week = papers taking plausible stories that could possibly happen and presenting them as being almost definite certainties. Fergie has to call it quits eventually so why not say its going to be announced this week and sell a few rags at the same time. Had United won another champions league you would feel the story may have more gravity.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Manuel Pellegrini
    Jupp Heynckes is free

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

If he retires it would tarnish his legacy as it sounds to me like his is afraid of a rejuvenated Chelsea side under Jose and a city side that will be stronger after the summer. Retiring on a high

In addition he knows he will not win the Champions league with this group of players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Manuel Pellegrini
    Its not on Sky so its not true.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement