Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

It would be hilarious if we appointed SAF.
    Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Jürgen Klopp
    Think its safe to say whoever takes over won't get a fraction of the time to get things right similar to what Fergie got when he tookover, also whenever they concede a goal or get a bad result next season you can see the camera cutting to Fergie up in the crowd constantly reminding everyone of what they achieved under him. It's as close to a poison chalice position as you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't know what more people expected of Moyes? They finished 4th the year Liverpool won the CL, then he had to compete with 4 of the top 7/8 teams in Europe for a few years when he did have some money, plus Villa and others spending big enough too. He has kept them competitive and managed a good attempt at 4th with barely no funds compared to Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool.

Barring a Cup win, what did people actually expect of him and Everton? As others said the likes of Sunderland had more money to spend, hell even Stoke had much more to play with the last few years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

CSF wrote: »

He hasn't actually massively overachieved in most of his seasons with Everton either. And let's not forget how close he came to getting Everton relegated early on. Alot of myths surround David Moyes.

My biggest worry about Moyes is his style of football .
    Up until this season Everton have been an awful team to watch ,route one football for much of his time at Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't know what more people expected of Moyes? They finished 4th the year Liverpool won the CL, then he had to compete with 4 of the top 7/8 teams in Europe for a few years when he did have some money, plus Villa and others spending big enough too. He has kept them competitive and managed a good attempt at 4th with barely no funds compared to Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool.

Barring a Cup win, what did people actually expect of him and Everton? As others said the likes of Sunderland had more money to spend, hell even Stoke had much more to play with the last few years.
    Crazy stuff. He could well go and get United relegated or win the treble next season for all anybody here knows but you would think his Everton tenure wasn't really up for debate... apparently not.

Crerand, the guy is always super defensive and bitter. Most ManU fans I know think he's nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Manuel Pellegrini
    That guy is a bloody moron. Always has been.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Alex Ferguson - a ruthless manager that brought us all amazing joy as United fans.

Never to be surpassed...

He is the Greatest Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jürgen Klopp
    Yes, but not to the extent that he should be getting the United job. Man United should not be appointing a manager who has won nothing, never managed in the Premier League, and has an average Premier League position of 8th.

Doesn't compare in the slightest to what Fergie did before United.

Let's be realistic, Fergie will have his say on who the successor be. If he backs Moyes then logically it follows that he sees the qualities in Moyes that he possesses within himself.

As for winning nothing and European experience, Martin O'Neill has won plenty and has a very good European record and yet the majority around here don't rate him.
    The difference between 8th and 14th is minimal, both are mid table mediocrity, Moyes will be out of his depth.

Utd need someone who has inside ties with Man Utd such as Gary Neville who I think would make a fantastic manager or an individual with experience of top level management such as Heynckes or Sacchi.

That difference would not be sniffed at by Leeds fans. A big club that found itself not too big to drop. Moyes prevented Everton going south and steadied the ship since then. He transformed them from regular strugglers to a team regularly on the fringes of wealthier rival clubs. It would be akin to Tony Pulis turning Stoke into a Champions League challenging side. That is what Moyes did with Everton.

I think United need a manager who knows the club and its traditions. Moyes, if appointed, will become part of the fabric of the club the way he has at Everton and the way Fergie did at United. All of the other suggestions I've seen are managers who either go for short-term projects, or would be a total unknown quantity in England. I'd say it's unlikely Fergie would recommend such figures for the job.

Other
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »

I really can't stand Paddy Crerand, he has to be one of the most stupid people to be ever allowed near a microphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think Moyes over-achieving has a lot of to do with teams below him under-achieving rather than Moyes being especially amazing.

Say this to a Liverpool fan in relation to the 2009 team (very true in the case of Chelsea), and watch them throw their hands in the air and start wailing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Jürgen Klopp
    I wouldnt be up in arms over a Moyes appointment, as long as he brings Fellaini and baines with him!

It's gonna be a very interesting summer at Old Trafford, that's for sure.

Rooney, Ferdinand, Nani and Anderson could all be on the way out.

I'd like to see:
    Baines
    Fellaini
    Lewandowski
    come in this summer.

And you never know, with Mourihno leaving Real, players like Ozil and Kediera could come on the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Manuel Pellegrini
    Rezident wrote: »
    Highly successful manager but I'd have to say "the greatest manager of all time" would show more respect for referees

Ah the old 'high horse' excuse...for when you don't actually have a valid reason..

I suppose players like Suarez aren't really that good because of their behaviour? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Surely Utd would be better waiting until the season is over before appointing a manager? I mean there could be a number of managers available then Pulis,Pardew,Martinez to name a few

Reminds me of people saying Hodgson would be a decent manager at Liverpool :o

Anyone wrote: »
    Surely Utd would be better waiting until the season is over before appointing a manager? I mean there could be a number of managers available then Pulis,Pardew,Martinez to name a few
    You should put that in the humour thread, all the thanks you could ever desire will be yours. I almost choked on my own face from laughing at that.
    Lolz. You should be a comedian, hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I think Fergie was right to bow out now while he's at the top.

Always thought it would have been a good idea for Moyes to join him for a year before he took the job on his own. It would have been a good opportunity for him to learn the system that Fergie has in place.

Moyes taking the job on his own straight away could be difficult. He'll be under unbelievable pressure to deliver immediately. I think it could take him a while to adapt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Say this to a Liverpool fan in relation to the 2009 team (very true in the case of Chelsea), and watch them throw their hands in the air and start wailing

They'd probably just think that person is stupid rather than wailing about it, and they'd be right.

06/07 - Chelase(2nd) 83 points, United (winners) 89 points.
    07-08 - Chelsea 85 points, league winners 87 points
    08/09 - Chelsea 83 points, Liverpool 86 points, United 90 points.
    09/10 - Chelsea(league winners) 86 points, United 2nd on 85 points.
    10/11 - Chelsea (2nd) 71 poins, United (winners) 80 points.

As I said to claim the year Liverpool finished 2nd on 86 points was some freak year in which Chelsea(or any other team struggled) has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Jürgen Klopp
    W123-80's wrote: »
    No, I am.
    I wouldn't be much of a football fan though if I tried to argue that Alex Ferguson is not a living legend of the game.!

Obviously I would have prefered if I was witnessing 20 years of Liverpool domination, but such is football and life.

You said you were delighted to witness his tenure!? Crazy crazy statement from a liverpool fan. It was absolute torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

cambo2008 wrote: »
    You should put that in the humour thread, all the thanks you could ever desire will be yours. I almost choked on my own face from laughing at that.
    Lolz. You should be a comedian, hilarious.

No thanks, reactions like yours are better ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

rarnes1 wrote: »

Practice what you preach brother.
    rarnes1 wrote:
    why is it disrespectful? he's there not to rock the boat for the owners and just get on with managing the team, what else would you call that?
    How about giving him a chance eh?

How do you know what his plans are? Were you chatting to him?

Look, I'm as píssed off as anyone in the way Rafa was treated but that's life, he's gone now. We have what we have.

Our club is pretty fúcked while G&H are there.That's not gonna change anytime soon.

At least we have a manager now in time for the new season.

Why not give Moyes a chance eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Jürgen Klopp
    How the hell a world brand like United still allow Crerand to commentate on the official channel is beyond belief.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Jürgen Klopp
    Yes, please give Martin O´Neill the job. (Say all Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton fans!) Look away now Sunderland fans..

Won plenty of titles in Scotland. Being a better manager than Walter Murray or Alec Mcleish is now the qualification required for the biggest job in English football and one of the biggest clubs in the world!

Appoint O'Neill....Euro dominance beckons ! Pretty pretty please appoint O´Neill.

Anyone wrote: »
    No thanks, reactions like yours are better ;)

Just pointing out how unoriginal and unfunny your post was.
    It's content didn't bother me one bit. I just find it cringey to be regurgitating other people's "jokes" over and over all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Think its safe to say whoever takes over won't get a fraction of the time to get things right similar to what Fergie got when he tookover, also whenever they concede a goal or get a bad result next season you can see the camera cutting to Fergie up in the crowd constantly reminding everyone of what they achieved under him. It's as close to a poison chalice position as you can get.

Half the reason that I think Ferguson is leaving now is to make sure this situation doesn't arise. He's certainly involved in the selection of his successor, so he'll naturally back whoever it may be - especially considering the time he was given when he took charge. More importantly, Ferguson has left the club with an age-balanced, league-winning side of players he recruited. The incoming manager will be inherit many of Ferguson's players and the structure that Ferguson has established.

Certainly, whoever takes over will be under pressure - but I think Ferguson's decision to retire now, making a measured and planned transition as the top team in the league, goes at least a small way to relieving that pressure. It's for that exact reason I think that appointing David Moyes wouldn't be suicide from the club's perspective - Moyes is someone whose ego can handle being part of a tradition, a hierarchy, a system. Having Bobby Charlton and Ferguson as directors would suggest to me that whoever is appointed as manager, they will have more time and understanding given to them at Manchester United than at any other club of the same status.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

djPSB wrote: »
    I think Fergie was right to bow out now while he's at the top.

Always thought it would have been a good idea for Moyes to join him for a year before he took the job on his own. It would have been a good opportunity for him to learn the system that Fergie has in place.

Moyes taking the job on his own straight away could be difficult. He'll be under unbelievable pressure to deliver immediately. I think it could take him a while to adapt.

After a season and if Man Utd not where it wants to be, cue Ferguson doing a Scholesy and coming out of retirement? :D

Practice what you preach brother.

Why not give Moyes a chance eh?

How's that me saying Hodgson was a good manager? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Haha "Hans Christian Anderson told me, Walt Disney Told me".

Crerand is gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

No not really.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Manuel Pellegrini
    He's overachieved at Everton. To suggest otherwise is complete rubbish. Klopp got relegated with Mainz. There are certain clubs that you can bring no further and it becomes hard to win. Moyes hasn't got that break at a big side and now it looks like he will.

Mainz and Everton are not comparable. Just how low do you think Evertons budget is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Mainz and Everton are not comparable. Just how low do you think Evertons budget is?

Akin to Everton and United.

Manuel Pellegrini
    Akin to Everton and United.

Agreed and I think United need to go for someone with a proven record of success operating at a similar level to United, rather than going for a manager in Fergusons mould, but ultimately nowhere near his level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

Jürgen Klopp

Total net spend for his time at Everton is £10m. That makes them somewhere around the 24th highest spending team in England during his tenure.
    Total wages would put them around 10th highest spending in the premier league.

Manuel Pellegrini
    bhamsteve wrote: »
    Total net spend for his time at Everton is £10m. That makes them somewhere around the 24th highest spending team in England during his tenure.
    Total wages would put them around 10th highest spending in the premier league.

Wage budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Might have been said before but a role in Scotland's national team would be a good idea

rarnes1 wrote: »

You get Man Utd fans saying that he was good enough for Liverpool, so if that is the case, why not United? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Poor appointment for a club of that stature IMO but Fergie knows a lot more than me about who is the right man for that club. Still, I don't think it will work out.

• Advertisement

nucker wrote: »
    You get Man Utd fans saying that he was good enough for Liverpool, so if that is the case, why not United? :pac:

Think about it... Not even that hard, just think a little and it should come to you straight away.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Think about it... Not even that hard, just think a little and it should come to you straight away.

I did think about it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Manuel Pellegrini

Manchester United are on a different planet when comparing the jobs.

I did think about it :eek:
    Cool. Keep it to yourself, don't tell anybody... And I mean ANYBODY!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

The weirdest thing is there's not even a mention of mourhino in any of this or anyone else for that matter,it's all about David moyes even the bookies see it that way.

disappointed we didn't get Jose as I think the success would have continued and we would of also been serious contenders for the champions lge etc

But with moyes I'm not sure it's gonna be dodgey as to which way it will work,but I bet you the will give moyes forever to win a trophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jose Mourinho
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Why is Jupp Heynckes in the poll? He has confirmed he is retiring.

Link?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Moyes it is then!;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I like Moyes - I hope he is successful. However, it looks like Chelsea will have Mourinho back and there is no doubt that he is a better manager than Moyes (or Mancini or Wenger).

Ferguson has been the difference for United this year (and indeed last year when they should've won it) - he could have managed any of the top 4 squads to the title. They need to intelligently freshen up the squad over the summer to give Moyes a fighting chance (bringing Fellaini with him would be a start).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

You'd have to wonder about Moyes been the man to be given the job. My viewpoint has always been United will always be there or there abouts as far as challenging for the title goes. This obviously with Fergie in charge.

Moyes will never have seen this sort of pressure. Qhat happens after a poor start to the season? As for a 2 legged champions league tie Id have massive reservations about experience and tactical nous on how to approach a tie. How long did it take Fergie?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Jürgen Klopp
    If Moyes doesnt win the league will he be a failure ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement