Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Manuel Pellegrini
    You'd have to wonder about Moyes been the man to be given the job. My viewpoint has always been United will always be there or there abouts as far as challenging for the title goes. This obviously with Fergie in charge.

Moyes will never have seen this sort of pressure. Qhat happens after a poor start to the season? As for a 2 legged champions league tie Id have massive reservations about experience and tactical nous on how to approach a tie. How long did it take Fergie?
    It took Fergie 3 years to win his first title. I'd say Moyes should be given patience and time but I don't see why he can't adapt within a season with the structure left in place by Ferguson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Jürgen Klopp
    moyes. over 10 yrs with everton and never ever seemed to be under pressure. .

actually the only pressure he had was to keep them from the bottom 3.

hes a sound fella im sure. .

but manchester united isnt everton. . .

its a big club, a big business. . . and it is big because of results.. and if results dont come it will fall fast

remember, it is where it is cause it was built and ran at the same time by the same person... . . . . .

sir alex was flying the 747 for 26 yrs. .. and making additions each year. and has ended up with a massive machine

now there going to stick in moyes who "maybe cut from the same cloth" (gees i hate that terminology if giving someone a job) has no experience at this level. . .

it will be a disaster. . . .. i think they are chancing it.. .

krikey, I hope Im wrong for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Jürgen Klopp
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    fist-pump-baby.jpg
    I thought he was celebrating fist-pump style.
    A quick glance over your posts confirms he's actually angry.
    Hope I find it easier to understand kids I have :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not a United fan nor a fan of Ferguson, who imo was a tyrant and a bully, but one still cannot ignore what he achieved in English football. I'm old enough to remember when they appointed him, and on the field they were a mess, full of big names not putting it in, Big Ron splashing the cash and Our Bobby stirring things in the background. It took a while but his record in England speaks for itself. Yea he had luck on his side, with a club ready for Sky tv and a post hillsborough liverpool looking for direction, but tbf he made the most of what resources he was given .

Greatest of all time.....I dunno. I'd say his european record could be better, and tactically he was found out a number of times, but his teams consistently reached a very good, if not often great level.

I'd wish him well in his retirement, but if I was (and I'm not) a united fan I'd hope he'll butt out and ket Moyes or whoever the new man is alone to do the job. 2 bosses don't work and the danger for United would be that fergie interferes and undermines the new man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I thought he was celebrating fist-pump style.
    A quick glance over your posts confirms he's actually angry.
    Hope I find it easier to understand kids I have :/

If that's the case he used the wrong meme because that's 'success kid'. Self explanatory really. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not a United fan nor a fan of Ferguson, who imo was a tyrant and a bully, but one still cannot ignore what he achieved in English football. I'm old enough to remember when they appointed him, and on the field they were a mess, full of big names not putting it in, Big Ron splashing the cash and Our Bobby stirring things in the background. It took a while but his record in England speaks for itself. Yea he had luck on his side, with a club ready for Sky tv and a post hillsborough liverpool looking for direction, but tbf he made the most of what resources he was given .

Greatest of all time.....I dunno. I'd say his european record could be better, and tactically he was found out a number of times, but his teams consistently reached a very good, if not often great level.

I'd wish him well in his retirement, but if I was (and I'm not) a united fan I'd hope he'll butt out and ket Moyes or whoever the new man is alone to do the job. 2 bosses don't work and the danger for United would be that fergie interferes and undermines the new man

The ban on Europe left United and top teams from England playing catch up for the rest of the century back then too. I mean even Rangers were doing better in Europe(great side though tbf)

Everton were the big losers most likely, but clubs struggled again until the money Sky were pumping came to fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jose Mourinho
    moyes. over 10 yrs with everton and never ever seemed to be under pressure. .

actually the only pressure he had was to keep them from the bottom 3.

hes a sound fella im sure. .

but manchester united isnt everton. . .

its a big club, a big business. . . and it is big because of results.. and if results dont come it will fall fast

remember, it is where it is cause it was built and ran at the same time by the same person... . . . . .

sir alex was flying the 747 for 26 yrs. .. and making additions each year. and has ended up with a massive machine

now there going to stick in moyes who "maybe cut from the same cloth" (gees i hate that terminology if giving someone a job) has no experience at this level. . .

it will be a disaster. . . .. i think they are chancing it.. .

krikey, I hope Im wrong for once.

He was never under pressure because of the job that he was doing. Moyes is a sound pick so long as he can stay out of Ferguson's shadow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The ban on Europe left United and top teams from England playing catch up for the rest of the century back then too. I mean even Rangers were doing better in Europe(great side though tbf)

Everton were the big losers most likely, but clubs struggled again until the money Sky were pumping came to fruit.

Everton missed 2 chances in the European Cup Liverpool 3 and Arsenal 1 so Liverpool were the big losers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jürgen Klopp
    I think Moyes is a good choice for United and someone I'd say Ferguson had a big hand in selecting himself he has done well at Everton been good in the transfer market, proven himself to be a good motivator only question is now can he mate the step up time will tell.

Also good for United fans is I could see him going in for Felliani a player I would love at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Everton missed 2 chances in the European Cup Liverpool 3 and Arsenal 1 so Liverpool were the big losers

Mmmm first year of ban an Everton side that had just won the league, cup winners cup and lost in FA cup final were denied the chance of a tilt at the European cup. When the ban had sunk in they then lost players from the 87 league winning team to foreign clubs. Widely accepted that they were hit hardest I think.

ok

Anyway its David Moyes.

While he was not my first choice or anywhere near it I will give him 100% support.

Going to be strange. But all good things come to end. Just hope he can continue at least some level to what Fergie has acheived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Moyes would be a slightly risky appointment in that he has no experience at the top level. He has won nothing.

That is not to say he would be a failure. There is no reason why he can't succeed. He's generally done a very good job with Everton.

I can see United's thinking. He's in the Fergie mould, he's young, they could see him as another long-term successor. I'm sure Ferguson recommended him.

But considering United could attract an array of proven top managers with experience at the highest level of the game, the potential appointment of Moyes could be seen as a risk.

United fans may need to show some patience.

For example a 3rd place finish and a points total of about 75-80 should be seen as an acceptable start for his first season. Not that United fans or Moyes would be happy with this but it's possible that something like this may come to pass so United fans should be prepared to be patient.

But who knows. He could be a huge success and win the league in his first year. I certainly wouldn't write him off.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Moyes would be a slightly risky appointment in that he has no experience at the top level. He has won nothing.

That is not to say he would be a failure. There is no reason why he can't succeed. He's generally done a very good job with Everton.

I can see United's thinking. He's in the Fergie mould, he's young, they could see him as another long-term successor. I'm sure Ferguson recommended him.

But considering United could attract an array of proven top managers with experience at the highest level of the game, the potential appointment of Moyes could be seen as a risk.

United fans may need to show some patience.

For example a 3rd place finish and a points total of about 75-80 should be seen as an acceptable start for his first season. Not that United fans or Moyes would be happy with this but it's possible that something like this may come to pass so United fans should be prepared to be patient.

But who knows. He could be a huge success and win the league in his first year. I certainly wouldn't write him off.

Agree with everything you say there if honest.

It could also turn into nightmare I will add. Hopefully not for me and United fans.

I just hope our expectation don't go ott next season and hopefully we show support and patience to Moyes.

He has some boots to fill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Jürgen Klopp
    Excellent appointment. Stability, intelligence, an excellent work ethic. All the qualities required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I just wonder, tactically-speaking, will he have to adjust? Or more to the point, will he be able to adjust?

We saw what happened with Hodgson at Liverpool. Obviously this is a different situation - Everton are not Fulham, United are not Liverpool.

But Moyes' Everton teams are generally very well-drilled and solid, with an emphasis on the physical side of the game. Very tough to beat but not the most free-flowing sort of football.

United have been a very attacking side under Ferguson.

Moyes will have to deal with managing players of higher quality under the expectations of winning essentially every game (bar maybe 6 or so).

Does Moyes have the ability to make this adjustment from a tactical perspective?

I imagine Moyes has the personality and man management skills for a big job like this (even though Ferguson is of course difficult to replace in this regard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Jürgen Klopp
    Morzadec wrote: »
    But Moyes' Everton teams are generally very well-drilled and solid, with an emphasis on the physical side of the game. Very tough to beat but not the most free-flowing sort of football.

Not sure about this. Everton are no Stoke! Everton have played some good attacking football at times.

keith16 wrote: »
    Not sure about this. Everton are no Stoke! Everton have played some good attacking football at times.

I think he makes good point though. Everton are no United if you think about it that way.

I think the tactical side is going to be the big question on Moyes. I think he has most other things on his side. Or seems to so far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Nope, it isn't. Wages count too and account for the vast majority of club spending. Only Chelsea and recently City have had comparable or greater resources than United, and particularly in the case of Chelsea, managers there have had to contend with an overbearing owner and great levels of instability.

And United have notoriously been very poor payers of wages, only getting onto anything the usual level of the biggest clubs in very recent years. Once again, anyone using money as a reason for his success hasn't a clue. He has dominated all his rivals, and done so by spending less than most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    Everton played the third most long balls in the league last season. It will be interesting to see how this style suits RVP and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Everton played the third most long balls in the league last season. It will be interesting to see how this style suits RVP and co.
    RvP won't be going to Everton...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    RvP won't be going to Everton...

Everton will be going to RVP. ;)

Everton will be going to RVP. ;)

Nah, I don't think it will be as simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Manuel Pellegrini
    I don't think Moyes is as definate as people are making out. I still don't think he's going to be the next manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

His first two or three signings will set the tone, if they're in any way underwhelming it'll give the doom merchants some more ammo.

I think he'll play it safe with at least one Everton player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Manuel Pellegrini
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    His first two or three signings will set the tone, if they're in any way underwhelming it'll give the doom merchants some more ammo.

I think he'll play it safe with at least one Everton player.

Fellaini, IMO. And I don't think that's underwhelming. He's the exact kind of player that would thrive at United. A strong, uncompromising central midfielder. He'd be brilliant for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Manuel Pellegrini
    Mr Simpson wrote: »
    I don't think Moyes is as definate as people are making out. I still don't think he's going to be the next manager.

You can lay that with betfair at 59/1. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jürgen Klopp
    Will the Everton board sell Fellaini to Moyes though is another question?

DazMarz wrote: »
    Fellaini, IMO. And I don't think that's underwhelming. He's the exact kind of player that would thrive at United. A strong, uncompromising central midfielder. He'd be brilliant for United.

I don't think it's as set in stone as that though. What happens if it's Leon Osman to fill the gap left by Scholes for example?

There's other positions that need filling as well and they're currently occupied with players who will be very tough to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Will the Everton board sell Fellaini to Moyes though is another question?

It wouldn't matter if Utd meet the reported release clause in his contract.

Leon Osman will not be a Manchester United player. You heard it here first. Put your house on it, I'll personally guarantee it. You can have my house if you lose.

Leon Osman will not be a Manchester United player. You heard it here first. Put your house on it, I'll personally guarantee it. You can have my house if you lose.

Bookmarked just in case ;-)

My point is we don't know Moye's transfer policy. It might not be Osman but it could be another 'safe option' established Premier League player from another club.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My point is we don't know Moye's transfer policy. It might not be Osman but it could be another 'safe option' established Premier League player from another club.

Like RVP? :P

Like RVP? :P

Heh, I know what you're saying but seriously, it's the biggest doubt about Moyes for me. He's always had to sell to buy, get value for money, and it'll be hard to shake that mentality initially.

Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Scholes, Giggs and now Rooney need replacing and even if some of the players already there step up, squad players are needed at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Moyes transfer policy always has been to get the most productive player available for the money available. Make productive player better by giving him all the tools and information possible.

Are we being lowered to this level from two days ago - Osman to United?

Edit: also he has the advantage of going upstairs to Ferguson over any decision he wants to speak about for at least the next few years whilst Fergie is director. It's not like Busby second guessing everything Frank O'Farrell did way back when, afraid that he would destroy the club he made. Fergie and Moyes have a great relationship by all accounts and will be helping him where needed.

If it's an Everton player it could only be Baines. I really can't see the Fellaini link, he just doesn't have the pace or quickness of mind to be a United player. I'd imagine that every transfer target will be talked over with Fergie and the rest of the backroom team. I wouldn't be worried about this summer's player dealings, as I imagine much of it is planned already. The August to December period will be the time where the media and fans will either accept him or get on his back.

Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Scholes, Giggs and now Rooney need replacing and even if some of the players already there step up, squad players are needed at the very least.

Em...Vidic, Ferdinand, Scholes and to some extent, Evra already have their replacements. Rooney isn't gone yet, and even if he is, I wouldn't shudder at the idea of Kagawa/Welbeck/Hernandez partnering RVP. That leaves Giggs who has been far from a regular in recent years, and who will still be there next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    If it's an Everton player it could only be Baines. I really can't see the Fellaini link, he just doesn't have the pace or quickness of mind to be a United player. I'd imagine that every transfer target will be talked over with Fergie and the rest of the backroom team. I wouldn't be worried about this summer's player dealings, as I imagine much of it is planned already. The August to December period will be the time where the media and fans will either accept him or get on his back.

Agree with that. Only possible issue (and it's a very debateable one) I'd have with Baines coming in is that Evra seems such a vocal point of the dressing room and a player you'd want to keep onside. Now, of course, if a guy is nearing the end of his career or isn't performing then you need to change it up. But if his first duty is to drop a key player in keeping morale high, then it might not be the way to go about it.

Wholeheartedly agree on Fellaini. Said something in the United thread a while back that can't be arsed looking for. Doesn't have quick enough feet or presence of mind to move the ball quick enough for the way we play.

• Advertisement

Em...Vidic, Ferdinand, Scholes and to some extent, Evra already have their replacements. Rooney isn't gone yet, and even if he is, I wouldn't shudder at the idea of Kagawa/Welbeck/Hernandez partnering RVP. That leaves Giggs who has been far from a regular in recent years, and who will still be there next year.

As I said, if their replacements are already in place (and I'm not as confident in the likes of Smalling and Buttner for example as some) then others need to come in to fill the spots of those stepping up.

Either way Moyes will have to bring in players so his transfer policy is important, hence me raising it as an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Manuel Pellegrini
    deisedevil wrote: »
    You can lay that with betfair at 59/1. ;)

Might stick a euro or 2 on that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Jürgen Klopp
    As I said, if their replacements are already in place (and I'm not as confident in the likes of Smalling and Buttner for example as some) then others need to come in to fill the spots of those stepping up.

Either way Moyes will have to bring in players so his transfer policy is important, hence me raising it as an issue.

I really wouldn't put those two in a similar bracket in terms of potential.

Considering one has heaps and the other has almost none.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I really wouldn't put those two in a similar bracket in terms of potential.

Considering one has heaps and the other has almost none.

Indeed but one poster believes Evra's covered -
    Em...Vidic, Ferdinand, Scholes and to some extent, Evra already have their replacements

So he either is or isn't, I'm of the latter opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Manuel Pellegrini
    He leaves the squad in good nick. De Gea, Smalling, Rafael, Jones, Welbeck, Hernandez, Cleverley, Zaha are 7 very good young players who should be at the crux of the squad for the next 5-7 years anyway. Slightly older than them; Kagawa, Evans should also be there for the next 5 years, performing at a high level.

Thats basically nearly a first 11 of good young players who will only improve.

Then you have the likes of Carrick and RVP and the squad is in great shape. A few players could be moved on and a few should be brought in but the foundations are in place for the club to challenge for the foreseeable future.

Would have preferred a different candidate but will support Moyes once appointed and there is no reason to think that we won't be at least challenging for major trophies in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Where was Moyes officially confirmed by the club?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jürgen Klopp
    Hasn't been confirmed.

It'd be some twist if Fergie was only trolling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Manuel Pellegrini
    Surely it's not "confirmed" until United officially confirm it?

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »

No Stoke but they are physical and play quite direct at times. Certainly not easy on the eye but it worked for them. Could work for Utd too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement