Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jürgen Klopp
    Bounty, were going to need some evidence or I'll have to change the thread title back. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It'd be some twist if Fergie was only trolling.

jesus christ if you're up there, save us all and strike down moyes with your laser eyes before he turns united into a liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

fergie will be back within a year, moyes will feck it up and the fans will demand fergie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

everton play good football, they have a team of good players, i wouldn't even say they punch above their weight, moyes has just developed a very good team there.

Managers market is still open.

Moyes is still available at 1/50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hasn't been confirmed.

Thread title shouldn't be as is then imo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

fergie will be back within a year, moyes will feck it up and the fans will demand fergie

Fergie will be 72 then, it's time to let the poor man retire and enjoy his retirement. His health is reportly not the best these days all the travelling and busy schedule is catching up with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jürgen Klopp
    Boards trolling its members?

Still not officially confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Where has this been confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭fish fingers

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Where has this been confirmed?

It's not been confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Boards acting the bollocks *confirmed*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Loughc wrote: »
    Fergie will be 72 then, it's time to let the poor man retire and enjoy his retirement. His health is reportly not the best these days all the travelling and busy schedule is catching up with him.

The united fans will run amok when Moyes fecks things up, they will demand.

Personally I am delighted Moyes is getting the job, for 2 reasons,.

He is over rated
    Fergie will look like a twat for forcing him on the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Manuel Pellegrini
    Nothing confirmed yet change the title back .

Jürgen Klopp
    I'll change the title back, no major issue lads.

Carry on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jürgen Klopp
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Bounty, were going to need some evidence or I'll have to change the thread title back. :pac:

I am David Moyes!

Ignore that Shanghai nonsense... my bad assumed if the Beeb/Guardian etc were running stories saying Moyes was the man it'd have been confirmed already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Manuel Pellegrini
    I'm David Moyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Leftist wrote: »
    jesus christ if you're up there, save us all and strike down moyes with your laser eyes before he turns united into a liverpool.

it's highly unlikely to happen.

United fans really need not worry.

Fergie dominated at the start, and through, an era where United became the biggest club, pretty much, in world football. money talks.

the money generated now by the club annually means that unless the club is catastrophically mismanaged, you'll be absolutely fine. the club is on such a stable footing, and Fergie has left the playing squad in such a fine state, that it's inconceivable that a collapse would happen.

less dominant, yes, maybe. collapse, just no.

you'd need to be being run by a bunch of chimps smoking crack for that to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Honestly I think Moyea is a huge risk. He has done admirable with Everton but hasn't really overachieved to the extent that is bandied about.
    If overachieving with a predominant criteria for selecting the next Man Utd manager surely Alan Curbishley would be in with a shout as he really did overachieve with Charlton.
    In 2006/7 season the club's net spend was £19 million, which was more than the previous 5 seasons combined. Look at where the club was when he took over and look at it now. He also brought through some good youth talent with the likes of Scott Parker.
    Curbs is a manager who really overachieved but would be seen as a ridiculous appointment due to his stint at West Ham after Charlton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I really dont think United fans are concerned by anything that goes on at Liverpool anymore.

Also, there has been no demise at United.

I bet some Liverpool fans would have said the exact same thing in the late 80s.

Every club bar the ones in the two horse race leagues suffer dips in form and achievement.
    united have a massive fan base mostly outside manchester, but how fickle are those fans.
    If they stop winning the league how will the revenues suffer.
    All it takes is a few bad decisions in selecting the manager and the direction of the club.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jose Mourinho

There's definitely that potential. I know it's a completely different level of football but look at what happened with Crewe when they tried to replace Dario Gradi after a couple of decades as manager. They moved him upstairs twice and twice had to bring him back because the fans got onto the new manager the second results went against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ill be very disappointed if they dont give big ron the 2nd chance he so rightly deserves.

Extra pressure for Moyes with Fergie in the background

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Moyes is a safe option and probably the best one but I'd still prefer Mourinho. Moyes doesn't inspire me. I can imagine turning over his post match interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Beefy78 wrote: »
    There's definitely that potential. I know it's a completely different level of football but look at what happened with Crewe when they tried to replace Dario Gradi after a couple of decades as manager. They moved him upstairs twice and twice had to bring him back because the fans got onto the new manager the second results went against him.

that would be something else alright, look what happened at liverpool when hodgson was in charge, with king kenny in the background with a very active role at the time , the fans demanded a change once they knew there was a possibility kenny might become the manager, knowing he would want a second go at managing LFC.

if moyes becomes manager of MU, he needs a good start to keep the pressure of him a little but it won't be made easy with fergie in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Manuel Pellegrini
    Anything official yet? Have Everton even confirmed that Moyes will be leaving? (Even though we all know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jürgen Klopp
    Essien wrote: »
    Anything official yet? Have Everton even confirmed that Moyes will be leaving? (Even though we all know)

Reports that Man United are negotiating with Everton. The only reason they would be negotiating is for a release from his contract before it expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Jürgen Klopp
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Indeed but one poster believes Evra's covered -

So he either is or isn't, I'm of the latter opinion.

As am I. Perhaps he still hope for Fabio doing a Rafael?

Chris Smalling though could very well grow into a top CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I can imagine turning over his post match interviews.

:eek:

I'm sure he's losing sleep over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Manuel Pellegrini
    Does this count as confirmation?

https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunited?v=app_119829254859378

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

United press office making a complete balls of this! Announced Moyes on both Twitter and Facebook then deleted it.

Good thing they only have to do it every two decades or so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jürgen Klopp
    United press office making a complete balls of this! Announced Moyes on both Twitter and Facebook then deleted it.

Its one of the worlds worst kept secrets for years now though :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Official Everton @Everton
    OFFICIAL: Everton can confirm that David Moyes will leave the Club at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Jürgen Klopp
    jmayo wrote: »
    I bet some Liverpool fans would have said the exact same thing in the late 80s.

Every club bar the ones in the two horse race leagues suffer dips in form and achievement.
    united have a massive fan base mostly outside manchester, but how fickle are those fans.
    If they stop winning the league how will the revenues suffer.
    All it takes is a few bad decisions in selecting the manager and the direction of the club.

I know a few Chinese lads who change the club they support when they see fit. Manchester City was a favoured jump for them last year. Anecdotal I know, but I can see the argument for the fickleness of fans thousands of miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

dsmythy wrote: »
    I know a few Chinese lads who change the club they support when they see fit. Manchester City was a favoured jump for them last year. Anecdotal I know, but I can see the argument for the fickleness of fans thousands of miles away.

I know a few Irish lads like that, 3 years without a league title and they were signed up members of RK Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Jürgen Klopp
    Waiting for United to Troll the **** out of Moyes and announce someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Manuel Pellegrini
    from guardian

2.55pm BST

"You've got to forgive them," says Mark Exton. "It's been a while since they've had to do this!"

2.53pm BST

Anyway here's Jamie Jackson's news story.

2.52pm BST
    YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS: PART 2

They haven't confirmed it. This is a farce. Hold me.

Updated at 2.53pm BST

2.49pm BST
    YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS

Manchester United have confirmed David Moyes as their new manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ManUtd don't have twitter account..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Jürgen Klopp
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    ManUtd don't have twitter account..

The United press office has one and its the only official club account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

markc1184 wrote: »
    The United press office has one and its the only official club account.

Didn't few journos said it was fake twitter account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

nobody mentioned harry redknapp , in fairness to harry he has the experience and the trophies won to merit even a consideration by utd :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Manuel Pellegrini
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Didn't few journos said it was fake twitter account?

https://twitter.com/ManUtd_PO/

The blue tick means its verified. So it's 100% legit.

Jürgen Klopp
    nobody mentioned harry redknapp , in fairness to harry he has the experience and the trophies won to merit even a consideration by utd :)

That would be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This is such a myth. His title opponents have been Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Blackburn and Newcastle. And he was outspent by 4 of those, Arsenal and Newcastle being the others. Indeed, probably his greatest triumph was taking on the financial might of Chelsea and City with lesser resources, and still coming out on top

Ok, you do realise that being the best team in the league and being able to add a very good player or two is a better spot to be in than being 4th of 5th best team in the league and being given a blank cheque to sign players with right? In fact Chelsea wrestled the league from him with money and then imploded, same as Man city. Consistency has been the key for me. To have the same manager for such a long time is phenomenal and gives that team a strength like no other team has in my opinion. Of course Fergie was one of the best managers around but that is in the past now anyway. Stop living in the past Utd fans!! :P Just kidding, ye are obvioulsy all very concerned about the future of ye're club now anyway so I'll leave ye alone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This is such a myth. His title opponents have been Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Blackburn and Newcastle. And he was outspent by 4 of those, Arsenal and Newcastle being the others. Indeed, probably his greatest triumph was taking on the financial might of Chelsea and City with lesser resources, and still coming out on top

How can anyone forget poor old Leeds...

Jürgen Klopp
    dfx- wrote: »
    How can anyone forget poor old Leeds...

Who? :pac:

Jim White is a serious fcuking pain!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Manuel Pellegrini
    Topic title can change back now :P

6 year contract confirmed for Moyes, starting July 1st.

Nearly as good as Pardew's contract :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Liverpool have managed to spend a lot of money and still be mediocre at best. That paints more of a picture of their management and doesn't have a bearing on anything else.

To average a spend of 1.5m a year (from what's been said here) and lose the players they did and still finish respectably year after year is not something to be ignored.

:rolleyes: It's morronic setences like this one that really bring down the whole tone of any thread. At best I believe Liverpool were actualy the number 1 rated team in European competition using a 5 year co efficient system during the Rafa days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Manuel Pellegrini
    Best birthday present ever.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement