Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jürgen Klopp
    I think I may have added one or two extra 000's by mistake. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    NUTZZ wrote: »
    Are you not a Liverpool fan??

I am yeah? Why? Whats the problem with my post?

As I posted my concern from ye're point of view (in brackets noting that its something I would hope) followed by my point.

I'm covering all bases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Say if Utd finish 3rd or 4th and win the fa cup, would you be happy with that?

What are your pre-requisites?

The dead wood will be cleared out & some new faces will be added to the squad,the quality is there to challenge for the title again,yes my expectations are high but that comes with supporting United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Jürgen Klopp
    El Spearo wrote: »
    I am yeah? Why? Whats the problem with my post?

As I posted my concern from ye're point of view (in brackets noting that its something I would hope) followed by my point.

I'm covering all bases.

I have no problem with your post, relax! I was wondering why you were "concerned" with our 'problems' is all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think I may have added one or two extra 000's by mistake. :pac:

Also missing a few numbers from the Mourinho choice....some posters were derided a few months back for suggesting anyone else would be the next United manager.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    NUTZZ wrote: »
    I have no problem with your post, relax! I was wondering why you were "concerned" with our 'problems' is all!

sorry, too used to united fans being on their high horse about lfc fans posting opinions...especially annoying when i feel im being kinda unbiased in my opinion :P

yeah im not concerned myself hence the excited part in brackets :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I look forward to seeing Yakubu playing up front for united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I read that it could be compared to Hogson going to pool, well I wouldnt be that Harsh on Moyes but on the grand scheme of things its a very poor signing

A manager has done **** all in his career no trophies or European experience
    Moyes must think he won the lottery tbh. How a manager with his C.V can get one of the top jobs in European soccer is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Even if Rooney stays, wonder what sort of budget they'll give him? Surely they'll give him a decent one to make a marquee signing or 2 to get the fans really excited and Moyes will have ideas about one or two players he wants. Fellaini to Utd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Jürgen Klopp
    Headshot wrote: »
    I read that it could be compared to Hogson going to pool, well I wouldnt be that Harsh on Moyes but on the grand scheme of things its a very poor signing

Moyes must think he won the lottery tbh. How a manager with his C.V can get one of the top jobs in European soccer is beyond me

Far better CV than the likes of Pep, Conte, Klopp had. Really irked by the misconception that you need trophy winning experience at the highest level to get a top job or be the most deserving candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Manuel Pellegrini
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Far better CV than the likes of Pep, Conte, Klopp had. Really irked by the misconception that you need trophy winning experience at the highest level to get a top job or be the most deserving candidate.

How would you rate Martinez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Jürgen Klopp
    NukaCola wrote: »
    How would you rate Martinez

What's that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Can all the negative Nancy's head off with themselves please?? Title number 21 next year onwards and upwards...

Long live king moyes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

dont think european experience really matters in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Now that the last remaining bit of uncertainty as to who the manager was going to be has been removed, overall I'm content with the appointment and happy to see how it plays out.

However, my main concern with this appointment is one that many have voiced here over the last day and a half, and that is the attractiveness of the club on a European level. What I'm talking about is not the club's ability to perform in the Champion's League (Of which there is still a tiny doubt given Moyes not having any real CL experience afterall and how different it can be to the BPL) but moreso to our ability to attract world class European players.

To British players and to foreign players who've made their name in the BPL our attractiveness won't have diminished but to those who play on the continent and in South America I worry that it will have. We have always struggled to attract established world class foreign talent even with Fergie at the helm over the years and I think by appointing a foreign manager now (there were other options than Mourinho too) we could have closed the gap between ourselves and the likes of Barca and Real when it comes to battling out for signatures. A lot of players won't be as familiar with Moyes as we are and like it or not your potential boss is always a deciding factor in where a player will move, particularly when each club will already be able to offer a similar chance of success, money, history etc. Despite what methods he ultimately intergrates into the squad he may be brushed off by many as a brash unfashionable Scot who couldn't possibly know what 'real' football is.

I feel there was an opportunity here to semi re-brand the club as a more European friendly one, and I'm not saying that wouldn't have had it's downsides or that some wouldn't have seen it as disrespectful, but I think it was worth exploring. The popular European comparison to Moyes is Klopp given what he's done with limited resources, I myself would've loved to have seen Pelegrinni but alas we'll probably never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Instant success it seems is the prerequisite, insulting to Ferguson in a way too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Jürgen Klopp
    As a Liverpool fan I have to say well done to the United hierarchy, one out and one in within two days. (Nothing like a stock exchange to focus your mind).

Every club could do with taking notes on how United did this. Once the word was out about Fergie resigning and today's news of Moyes being appointed, the world was concentrating on Fergies legacy and United had everything ready to go. Well apart from the little faux pas with Facebook and Twitter.

Liverpool board take note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Are you serious?

Those manager would of been worthy applicants for the utd job unlike Moyes. Of course you need a trophy winning experience for the top jobs. Just because a manager stays at a club and punching above their weight doesnt mean he has a better C.V than the likes of the ones your mentioned.

"dont think european experience really matters in fairness"
    Of course it does. CL soccer is totally different to the way the EPL and needs a manager who has experience in it and can adjust his team accordingly

Manuel Pellegrini
    Really irked by the misconception that you need trophy winning experience at the highest level to get a top job or be the most deserving candidate.
    What's that got to do with anything?

Martinez has done a better job at Wigan than Moyes has done at Everton, but you wouldnt put him forward for one of the biggest job in club football.

I think a lot of people are buying into this myth that Moyes is some sort of a gem ready to make it big at Utd, media spin thats doing the rounds.

The truth is he has done an ok job at a club who see a top half finish as an achievement. He has done nothing a manager like Martinez could do with Everton.

His style of play is really poor. When Utd are expected to win he will be shown up. I find it funny how some Utd fans are delighted with the appointment and how European football experience now is something you dont even need.....madness.

Writing a managers chances off is bad form before he gets a chance, but at Utd you should be proven in all areas. He is poor in the transfer market, tactically average and definately not the manager Utd needs.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

To be fair, I'd be happy if Moyes can keep the PL title at Old Trafford whilst working on his experience in the Champions League.

It's not like we're expected to win the CL every year; but the PL is something we always need to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Moyes to win the PL within first two seasons at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Are you serious?

Those manager would of been worthy applicants for the utd job unlike Moyes. Of course you need a trophy winning experience for the top jobs. Just because a manager stays at a club and punching above their weight doesnt mean he has a better C.V than the likes of the ones your mentioned.

"dont think european experience really matters in fairness"
    Of course it does. CL soccer is totally different to the way the EPL and needs a manager who has experience in it and can adjust his team accordingly

I am fairly sure his point was Moyes is proven than any of those were when they got their big jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Martinez has done a better job at Wigan than Moyes has done at Everton, but you wouldnt put him forward for one of the biggest job in club football.

I think a lot of people are buying into this myth that Moyes is some sort of a gem ready to make it big at Utd, media spin thats doing the rounds.

The truth is he has done an ok job at a club who see a top half finish as an achievement. He has done nothing a manager like Martinez could do with Everton.

His style of play is really poor. When Utd are expected to win he will be shown up. I find it funny how some Utd fans are delighted with the appointment and how European football experience now is something you dont even need.....madness.

Writing a managers chances off is bad form before he gets a chance, but at Utd you should be proven in all areas. He is poor in the transfer market, tactically average and definately not the manager Utd needs.....

Not a chance. Martinez has been at Wigan since 2009 and has kept them up by the skin of their teeth on several occasions, although it looks like he's gonna finally be relegated now. He's done fine admittedly.

Moyes took on a team flirting with relegation, has had an average net spend of €1.5m a year and has consistently punched above his weight with them over a period of 11 years. That does not compare with what Martinez has done at all.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan I have to say well done to the United hierarchy, one out and one in within two days. (Nothing like a stock exchange to focus your mind).

Every club could do with taking notes on how United did this. Once the word was out about Fergie resigning and today's news of Moyes being appointed, the world was concentrating on Fergies legacy and United had everything ready to go. Well apart from the little faux pas with Facebook and Twitter.

Liverpool board take note.

That's the crux of it.

I find it funny how some Utd fans are delighted with the appointment and how European football experience now is something you dont even need.....madness.

ok here we go again with another "you need european experience". Some will agree with my next statement others wont, Man United had arguably the greatest manager in football history, imo he is, yet all his european experience delivered was two CL titles. Arsene Wenger and all his european experience has delivered not a single CL title, Guardiola had no european experience as a manager still managed to win it so all this billox talk of "you need European experience" is exactly as you say nuka..... madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

How to you make that out? In the 4 seasons Martinez has been at Wigan, they've finished 16th, 16th, 15th and are probably relegated this year. In the same time, Everton have been 8th, 7th, 7th and will probably finished 6th this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

ok here we go again with another "you need european experience". Some will agree with my next statement others wont, Man United had arguably the greatest manager in football history, imo he is, yet all his european experience delivered was two CL titles. Arsene Wenger and all his european experience has delivered not a single CL title, Guardiola had no european experience as a manager still managed to win it so all this billox talk of "you need European experience" is exactly as you say nuka..... madness.

489649415-southpark_nice.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Other
    jebforever wrote: »
    Since when did India's population increase over 800 fold?!

It coincided with the release of the "Love Guru".

Manuel Pellegrini
    FatherTed wrote: »
    How to you make that out? In the 4 seasons Martinez has been at Wigan, they've finished 16th, 16th, 15th and are probably relegated this year. In the same time, Everton have been 8th, 7th, 7th and will probably finished 6th this year.

Compare Wigan to Everton in terms of squad and Budget fanbase etc, then get back to me.......people writing off Martinez and creaming themselves over Moyes is boarderline delusional.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp
    Are you serious?

Those manager would of been worthy applicants for the utd job unlike Moyes.

Ya, we get it. You don't fancy Moyes. I, for one, am confident that he will build on Ferguson's legacy.
    The fact that he was Ferguson's chosen successor doesn't mean anything to you, no? Extending that logic out, are you saying you don't trust Ferguson's judgement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Interesting times ahead. I'm sure Fergie will give him,all the help he needs in the first season. I'm glad he was appointed. I really hope he can make the step up

Manuel Pellegrini

So, a team that has won the EPL, reached multiple CL in the last 5 years dont need a manager that has any European experience. Its bad enough having to replace AF with anybody, but to go with a guy who done an ok job with a mid table team is madness.

Good of you to address my other points to suit your argument.
    Utd have made one huge mistake......many wont agree but feel free to bookmark and laugh if i'm wrong

Manuel Pellegrini
    And btw, the Utd job wont be as easy as just coming in and making a few changes.....theres a job to do to keep being successful.....Moyes doesnt know the meaning of the word.....

Has any of you watched more than 2 Everton games this season?.....enjoy watching more of the same awful football next season in Manchester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp
    And btw, the Utd job wont be as easy as just coming in and making a few changes.....theres a job to do to keep being successful.....Moyes doesnt know the meaning of the word.....

Has any of you watched more than 2 Everton games this season?.....enjoy watching more of the same awful football next season in Manchester

Are you trying to equate the Everton squad to the Utd squad he will now have at his disposal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Manuel Pellegrini
    Aidric wrote: »
    Are you trying to equate the Everton squad to the Utd squad he will now have at his disposal?
    I really don't think he is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Manuel Pellegrini
    I don't think any of us are shocked that a Liverpool fan has a less than stellar opinion of David Moyes. You don't think its possible at all that your opinion might be clouded by rivalry?

The fact that you keep referring to them as a mid table team highlight this fact tbh. They are consistently better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I was somewhat underwhelmed at the prospect of Moyes taking over but I had a glance at the league tables since he took over. You can't take away that outside of Arsenal, Chelsea Liverpool and Man U, Everton under Moyes have been just about the most consistent team in the league and there really is no comparison in what he has had available to him to keep that consistency going.
    Another thing is that when people say Fergie had success before coming to United, well the scottish league consists of 2 sh!te teams and a pile of utterly sh!te teams so it was a hell of a lot easier to crack that and get a shot at European football than it is to do the same in the PL.
    I say let him have his shot and if we're still trophyless in 3 years then maybe he was a bad choice but there's a fair chance he could be just the right man for the job.
    Now if he could get Ronaldo back as a sweetener for apprehensive fans.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Moyes in the last few seasons has finished in the top half of the richest league in the world while making a profit on player transactions. Out of necessity. Should he be expected to play like Barcelona with that type of record? He's done what's been needed and I have confidence he can bring that to top level management.

So, a team that has won the EPL, reached multiple CL in the last 5 years dont need a manager that has any European experience. Its bad enough having to replace AF with anybody, but to go with a guy who done an ok job with a mid table team is madness.

Good of you to address my other points to suit your argument.
    Utd have made one huge mistake......many wont agree but feel free to bookmark and laugh if i'm wrong

tell me how much european experience has klopp got and dortmund are in the final this year, how much did jose have when he won it with porto or prp with barcelona?

ill refer to your previous points if you want.... hodgson to liverpool hardly the same as moyes to OT. Hodgson had a good season and finished 7th if i remember correctly before he got the pool job. first season RH finished 17th, season 2 7th, season 3 12th, so hardly the same as moyes who has numerous top 6 finishes to his name.

you say a club who regard a top half finish as a success then quote how a manager finishing 17th deserves a chance more than one finishing top half consistently.

poor in transfer market you also said... phil neville, tim howard darron gibson, fellaini,jelavic, pineear not bad signings by any means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Jürgen Klopp
    If United are patient and give him time, I think he will prove to be a very good long term appointment which is likely what they were looking for. It might take him longer than Jose to find his feet at that level, but once he does he will be around for much longer. With the way Fergie has left United it is damn near impossible to fail. They will be there or thereabout this time next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Well you clearly haven't. Everton have played some breathtaking football this season - particulary in the first half of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Guys and gals, would anyone heading over on Sunday pick me up a match program and I can paypal the funds/meet up in Dub next week???

My Dad's bday on the 20th and it would be an unreal gift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Well you clearly haven't. Everton have played some breathtaking football this season - particulary in the first half of the season!

They've been decent. "Breathtaking" is really pushing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Who would have thought when Moysey's team destroyed us on the opening day that he's be our gaffer on the next opening day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Cant help but laugh at the lads coming on this thread saying they are delighted with Moyes getting the job because he will ruin United and he has no record in Europe or didn't win a trophies.Moyes has 11 years experience in the EPL,he worked off a tiny budget and always made Everton competitive and got the best from the players at his disposal .Most of this talk about Moyes being crap is coming from fans of a club who are still living on past glories and SAF retiring will suddenly make them league contenders.They appointed a manager who had won 12 premiership games when he was appointed yet laugh at United because they went with Moyes.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Cant help but laugh at the lads coming on this thread saying they are delighted with Moyes getting the job because he will ruin United and he has no record in Europe or didn't win a trophies.Moyes has 11 years experience in the EPL,he worked off a tiny budget and always made Everton competitive and got the best from the players at his disposal .Most of this talk about Moyes being crap is coming from fans of a club who are still living on past glories and SAF retiring will suddenly make them league contenders.They appointed a manager who had won 12 premiership games when he was appointed yet laugh at United because they went with Moyes.

You just made that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Compare Wigan to Everton in terms of squad and Budget fanbase etc, then get back to me.......people writing off Martinez and creaming themselves over Moyes is boarderline delusional.......

I'd say there wasn't that much difference in their budgets over the last couple of years, sure it's the annual Liverpool joke at Kenright at this stage.

He had decent money to spend a few years back, but I'd suspect Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, Sunderland and Stoke all spent more over the last few years. Us Liverpool fans give out about the amount we've wasted, we can't have it both ways and deride a manager who has peanuts compared to us, and looks like he'll finish ahead of us 2 years in a row, putting up a decent shot at 4th in the process.

Liverpool had big money to spend the last couple of seasons, Wenger and Spurs big money to reinvest and he has kept them competitive with little to nothing.

Again, I'll ask what did you expect him to achieve? I've asked that before and nobody answered. Qualify for the CL when English clubs dominated Europe and Villa was spending big, and when City and Spurs joined the race for fourth?

Sometimes I really wonder about so many fans grasp of the context. Both Martinez and Moyes have done very good to excellent jobs at their clubs given their circumstances.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Jürgen Klopp
    The question is will Utd fans put up with the possibility of 2/3 years without the title and maybe missing out on the CL places in one of those years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The question is will Utd fans put up with the possibility of 2/3 years without the title and maybe missing out on the CL places in one of those years?

Why has Van Persie left and the club gone into administration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't think Steve Staunton could fail to achieve top 4 with United's squad so i don't think that's a worry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement