Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    The first two you mentioned were good coaches who never got a chance from the fans they represented. Hodgson has gone on to do well with England, in spite of what many of the naysayers around here predicted. I think England fans are happy with him and he's not done badly with a higher calibre of player at his disposal. Hughes was a little hard done by at the time if we recall.

I think Moyes will be given a chance by the vast majority of United fans and that will be all important.

Not sure about Hughes. Hogdson got a chance, he failed miserable through his inept tactics, purchases and general idiotic performances. He found his level at Fulham/England. He should stay at that level because he's not capable of stepping up.

Moyes will be given a chance until he starts losing, the knives will be out then.

The old school model made famous by Liverpool, and mimicked by Barcelona in recent times, is the path United are going down and having Fergie there to give counsel will make for an easier transition than might have been possible with other figures in the role.

What old school model? United aren't mimicking any Liverpool or Barcelona model. The old Liverpool and more recent Barcelona's model revolves around hiring a manager people who has worked inside their clubs. Not hiring a manager who has no association with the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kryogen wrote: »
    Honestly its like a ****ing mental block to certain people.

How hard is it?

Jesus, he's only become the next Utd manager a few hours ago and already you have a problem with his surname being spelt incorrectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Huh? There are much better comparisons. Moyes never worked at United. Plenty of managers have done well in the PL and performed beyond what was expected/past their resources and have been given a chance at a supposed bigger club.

Allardyce from Bolton to Newcastle
    Hodgson from Fulham to Liverpool - ugh.
    Mark Hughes from Blackburn to City.

Well I was tongue in cheek about Hodgson, such self grandiosement in his utterings, he's a bluffer to me, as I think England are finding out.

Moyes has never struck me as they type to boast about what he has done at Everton, just gets on with it, a few moanings about money aside, which given his job as the manager, fair enough. He was at a serious disadvantage to others challenging for 4th at different times, City, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa, and others who spent big and would have seen themselves as bigger than Everton, and Everton as a target.

So, he never did get 4th after 05, given how Liverpool, United, Arsenal and Chelsea dominated Europe for 4/5 years, hardly a black mark on his CV. Liverpool and Villa dropped back after that period. City and Spurs stepped up, Liverpool resolved the finances problem, Everton could still mount a top 4 challenge, with little money.

All the while Sunderland, Stoke, QPR and others spent big below them.

His achievement speaks for itself, no need to rubbish it because it was at Everton.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

3 times in 11 seasons is not better, 2 seasons when Liverpool have been bad and one season where Liverpool ended up Champions of Europe, even Kenny with a bad Liverpool team won more in 1 and half seasons than Moyles did

He spent more on Stewart Downing than Moyes' budget for about the last 3 or 4 years though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Excellent article on Moyes and the situation he was in, on Grantland - worth a read -

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8455781/everton-problems-being-medium-size-soccer-club

Edit: it's from last October but the point remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp
    monkey9 wrote: »
    I think it's safe to assume that if Moyes has Utd a couple of places off the relegation spot come January, he won't be given a chance by Utd fans. And rightly so.

FFS, do you really envisage such a scenario or are you just looking for a bite? This isn't Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Liverpool fans most be delighted at the moyes appointment , they'll probably finish above everton now in seasons to come

Jürgen Klopp
    K-9 wrote: »
    Well I was tongue in cheek about Hodgson, such self grandiosement in his utterings, he's a bluffer to me, as I think England are finding out.

Moyes has never struck me as they type to boast about what he has done at Everton, just gets on with it, a few moanings about money aside, which given his job as the manager, fair enough. He was at a serious disadvantage to others challenging for 4th at different times, City, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa, and others who spent big and would have seen themselves as bigger than Everton, and Everton as a target.

So, he never did get 4th after 05, given how Liverpool, United, Arsenal and Chelsea dominated Europe for 4/5 years, hardly a black mark on his CV. Liverpool and Villa dropped back after that period. City and Spurs stepped up, Liverpool resolved the finances problem, Everton could still mount a top 4 challenge, with little money.

All the while Sunderland, Stoke, QPR and others spent big below them.

His achievement speaks for itself, no need to rubbish it because it was at Everton.

I never rubbished his achievements at Everton - I'm just saying his simply not a great manager and I'll be surprised if he wins anything at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'll be surprised if he wins anything at United.

Up for a bet on that?

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    FFS, do you really envisage such a scenario or are you just looking for a bite? This isn't Liverpool.

Oh just shut up and read back before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

They've been decent. "Breathtaking" is really pushing it.

no it isn't. I've watched almost every everton game this season and baines/pienaar down the left (Best left side partnership in the pl by far) and coleman/Mirallas down the right has been breathtaking at times. Actually probably too open alot of the time. And Osmans form in the centre got him England call ups too.

Jürgen Klopp
    Blatter wrote: »
    Up for a bet on that?

haha - winning a match doesn't count - I'm sure even Moyes will manage that. I'll include Champions league/UEFA cup, Premiership and FA cup if your interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Manuel Pellegrini
    kryogen wrote: »
    Honestly its like a ****ing mental block to certain people.

How hard is it?

Until i saw the news i was convinced Alison Moyet was the new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

haha - winning a match doesn't count - I'm sure even Moyes will manage that. I'll include Champions league/UEFA cup, Premiership and FA cup if your interested.

Is that an open offer bet?? So are you saying united will be trophy less next season?? Lmao

Ha, obv meant a trophy. :pac:

Yeah I'll take that no bother. 50 or do you want to go to 100? I'm game either way.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Until i saw the news i was convinced Alison Moyet was the new manager.

Apparently, the spelling of Moyes' name has become all important for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Jürgen Klopp
    Mother asked me did I hear Chris Moyles was the new man utd manager, true story.

Jürgen Klopp
    Ha, obv meant a trophy. :pac:

Yeah I'll take that no bother. 50 or do you want to go to 100? I'm game either way.

Ha - I'm not doing a straight evens bet. I'll need decent odds.

Is that an open offer bet?? So are you saying united will be trophy less next season?? Lmao

It's not that funny in fairness. You've gone trophyless under Ferguson, absolutely no reason why Utd wouldn't go trophyless under Moyes!!

It's not that funny in fairness. You've gone trophyless under Ferguson, absolutely no reason why Utd wouldn't go trophyless under Moyes!!

That is true but very doubtful united wont win at least one competition

• Advertisement

Ha - I'm not doing a straight evens bet. I'll need decent odds.

Well I figured seeing as you said you'd be 'surprised' if Moyes won anything that you'd surely think he has less than 50% chance which would make evens +EV for you.

Jürgen Klopp
    Well I figured seeing as you said you'd be 'surprised' if Moyes won anything that you'd surely think he has less than 50% chance which would make evens +EV for you.

Taking 15/4 from Bet & win that he wins under 1.5 trophies is alot more +ev though. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That is true but very doubtful united wont win at least one competition

It's not really, United only won the league this year and most people, myself included, expect that to be a lot closer run thing next season.

It'd be no surprise if Moyes' first season was trophy less.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's not really, United only won the league this year and most people, myself included, expect that to be a lot closer run thing next season.

It'd be no surprise if Moyes' first season was trophy less.

If it is then so be it but I'm right behind him I'm honestly excited at the thoughts of change..

Plus agree pl will be a hell of a lot closer next year

Taking 15/4 from Bet & win that he wins under 1.5 trophies is alot more +ev though. ;)

Those odds sound realistic. A bit short but of course you have to account for the overround.

Yeah.. err.. because that includes 0-1 trophies?

David Moyes not to win a trophy next season @ 3/4 with BWin. So you're getting a decent price at Evs.

Jürgen Klopp
    Yeah.. err.. because that includes 0-1 trophies?

David Moyes not to win a trophy next season @ 3/4 with BWin. So you're getting a decent price at Evs.

Pretty sure Blatter was offering evens on his career and not next year.

Pretty sure Blatter was offering evens on his career and not next year.

Ah sorry, my apologies.

If it is then so be it but I'm right behind him I'm honestly excited at the thoughts of change..

Plus agree pl will be a hell of a lot closer next year

This is because you have no choice but to be excited!! A generation of Irish Man U fans are about to have their football heads blown apart.

This is because you have no choice but to be excited!! A generation of Irish Man U fans are about to have their football heads blown apart.

I don't follow the crowd. Moyes will be a success here's to number 21 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp

Trying too hard.

Aidric wrote: »
    Trying too hard.

Hah!! The Manc U thread is going to be hilarious from now on. Welcome to the new Manager In/Manager Out era!! You've entered a whole new world. You's just don't know it yet.

Hah!! The Manc U thread is going to be hilarious from now on. Welcome to the new Manager In/Manager Out era!! You've entered a whole new world. You's just don't know it yet.

We are premier league champions and you come to mock?? Lmao ok mock away son...

Must be painful being this bitter.

Bitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Must try harder.

I must try harder!! :D

Fair enough :confused:

He's not being bitter (such a lazy accusation in itself), he's right. A large section of the fan base know nothing but Ferguson whereas the rest of us are immune to managers coming and going.

This is new ground for United fans, and given what Ferguson has achieved and the way modern football works, I'm 99.9% sure it will never be as good again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Manuel Pellegrini
    Laois_Man wrote: »
    no it isn't. I've watched almost every everton game this season and baines/pienaar down the left (Best left side partnership in the pl by far) and coleman/Mirallas down the right has been breathtaking at times. Actually probably too open alot of the time. And Osmans form in the centre got him England call ups too.
    Jesus. Overexaggeration of the century

• Advertisement

He's not being bitter (such a lazy accusation in itself), he's right. A large section of the fan base know nothing but Ferguson whereas the rest of us are immune to managers coming and going.

This is new ground for United fans, and given what Ferguson has achieved and the way modern football works, I'm 99.9% sure it will never be as good again.

Ah come off it, you know well what he's at with those posts.

No point in replying with anything bordering sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

These threads might be some fun to come back to in a year or so. Every second person getting their little dig in.

People are talking about Ferguson being that extra few points difference between winning a title and losing. Do the people writing United off realise that have walked the league this year by 10-15 points. It's going to take a sizeable fall off from United and a big step up from City/Chelsea to bridge that gap. There's no reason why United shouldn't improve (players wise at least) over the summer also, with a decent kitty being provided for Moyes and some of the younger players maturing.

On the topic of gambling, United are currently 2's for next seasons title, and you'll likely see slightly bigger before the start in August. That's serious value. There is next to no chance of anyone bar City, Chelsea and United winning it. So, if all 3 teams had equal chances, then the 2's on United would be fair. Only they're not equal. Despite the change around in manager, United at this stage are still the most likely out of the 3, given history and what happened this season. It could also make a filthy e/w bet with the place part (1/3 odds 2 places) giving 4/6 on them to finish in the top 2. That's a 1/3 shot in reality

Ah come off it, you know well what he's at with those posts.

No point in replying with anything bordering sense.

He might be making a slight dig but what of it? Far too much sensitivity these days.

Let us have our moment anyway, been waiting over a decade for your man to finally retire!
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    It's going to take a sizeable fall off from United and a big step up from City/Chelsea to bridge that gap.

I think that's a realistic possibility though. If Mourinho joins Chelsea they will be a different beast come next season with a very good squad already in place. City will buy I think after last summer's disasters.

I actually think other clubs will look at United as being weaker now and do absolutely everything in their power to take advantage of it so the gap could close quite quickly.

Even Arsenal could challenge, they have the second most points of any team in 2013 (34 I think it is, two less than United) and are getting the look of a settled side.

Of course none of that might happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

It is extremely difficult to win back to back Premier League titles. I agree that its basically one of United/Chelsea/City for next season unless Arsenal sign 4-6 players which will not happen.

I cannot see City slumping next season as bad as they did this year and i'd expect them to have one marquee signing for next season cos Manchini always moans that they lost out on RVP and it made all the difference. They still have a very impressive squad and it is make or break next year for them regarding champions league too. World Cup year always sees the biggest players impress and they'll have player stepping up to play. Chelsea IF Mourinho comes of course have to be a danger cos the guy just brings a different mentallity to the team.

United will be harder to guage under Moyes - so many questions over it, will AF be looking over his shoulder guiding him or will be let him loose to be his own man. Hard to imagine that AF was unable to get them into champions league semi's and that Moyes will take them further considering he has no experience in that department. Will be interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

United not having Fergie, is like City Fans not knowing what having lots of money is like

Donerkebab wrote: »
    United not having Fergie, is like City Fans not knowing what having lots of money is like

:confused: Terrible analogy, the two aren't even close. City had no money six years ago, Ferguson's been at OT for two decades more than that.

I can't even tell if that was a cheap shot or not it was so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Jürgen Klopp
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    People are talking about Ferguson being that extra few points difference between winning a title and losing. Do the people writing United off realise that have walked the league this year by 10-15 points. It's going to take a sizeable fall off from United and a big step up from City/Chelsea to bridge that gap. There's no reason why United shouldn't improve (players wise at least) over the summer also, with a decent kitty being provided for Moyes and some of the younger players maturing.

That almost reads as if you're under estimating Fergusons leadership and it's impact on their points total each season. Like it or not - his retirement from the position of manager will impact the performance of the team and their results .... even the report to the stock exchange recognises that :
    "Any successor to our current manager may not be as successful as our current manager."

I think Moyes is a very good manager - methodical, assured and very experienced. However this is a different world of expectation on his shoulders - from everyone - players, fans, media and ultimately : shareholders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

He might be making a slight dig but what of it? Far too much sensitivity these days.

I've no problem with it personally if the poster in question can take it on the chin themselves when the shoe is on the other foot and not go around chirping off catchphrases like "obsessed" etc.

Liverpool fans in particular would do well to remember how active they have been on the numerous threads where this whole situation has been discussed when the next Suarez incident or whatever else it might be comes around.

Let us have our moment anyway, been waiting over a decade for your man to finally retire!

I think that's a realistic possibility though. If Mourinho joins Chelsea they will be a different beast come next season with a very good squad already in place. City will buy I think after last summer's disasters.

I actually think other clubs will look at United as being weaker now and do absolutely everything in their power to take advantage of it so the gap could close quite quickly.

Even Arsenal could challenge, they have the second most points of any team in 2013 (34 I think it is, two less than United) and are getting the look of a settled side.

Of course none of that might happen...
    Let us have our moment? Jesus xavi I expected more from you to be honest that reaks of bitterness. I'm honestly surprised at you didn't take you as one of those kinda fans. Jesus I want moyes to win league just so I can rub salt in a years time now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Liverpool fans in particular would do well to remember how active they have been on the numerous threads where this whole situation has been discussed when the next Suarez incident or whatever else it might be comes around.

to be fair, there are many Utd fans who should themselves remember how active they've been on Liverpool threads when it comes to situations like this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Manuel Pellegrini
    Let us have our moment? Jesus xavi I expected more from you to be honest that reaks of bitterness. I'm honestly surprised at you didn't take you as one of those kinda fans. Jesus I want moyes to win league just so I can rub salt in a years time now ;)

It's really not bitter at all. Every rival fan has waited a long time for Fergie to retire, and for the most part it's because we all know how bloody good he is! Regardless of who his replacement is, his retirement was always going to mean the strongest team in the league got at least a little bit weaker.

It's perfectly reasonable, nothing even remotely bitter about it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement