Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

1222324252628»

Comments

Two things in your post cast doubt on that story, "Talksport" and "Metro".

Fair enough. Just heard it there.

Doesn't look like anyone else has info on it so probably little in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Just heard it there.

Doesn't look like anyone else has info on it so probably little in it

Didn't mean it in a belittling way just to let you know!:D I listen to a lot of Talksport and it seems they get all their sources from Twitter and the latest betting odds!

As for the Metro, it's a great laugh to read on the train home, but I've rarely seen any of their scoops actually come to fruition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Renn wrote: »
    Think Moyes will bring anyone with him? Baines would seem like the best option but not sure if there's even a possibility of that happening.

Phil Jagielka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Manuel Pellegrini
    Le Parisien reporter Julien Laurens also reported that story, whatever it's worth.

https://twitter.com/LaurensJulien/status/334272095200616448

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Sir Alex rang me last week but I told him I couldn't take over yet.

It's funny how all these weasel reporters start spouting nonsense after a decision has been made. Moyes was the man from the start and that's fairly obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Manuel Pellegrini
    An unnamed sourced means they made it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    An unnamed sourced means they made it up.

Like the unnamed sources who said Fergie was retiring last week?

It was a sad day for football.
    As much as I had distaste for his style and some of his teams over the years, I was sad to see the man who has been doing amazing things as long as I can remember watching football.
    Thanks for the memories Fergie, even if they were bitter ones.........

Like the unnamed sources who said Fergie was retiring last week?

That's different because loads of journalists were getting reports. Also there was heavy money on Moyes from the weekend. French journalist says he asked Ancelotti to take over. AS say that he asked Mourinho to take over. There are way to many sh1te hacks out there making a living off reporting nonsense.

After 26 years do you believe Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson and David Gill picked up the phone and went through a list of people to sound out the job? Starting with Mourinho or Ancelotti and finally bing stuck with Moyes as a decision of compromise? How likely do you think it is that Manchester United approached Mourinho or Ancelotti in the past week as being suggested? It's a complete load of nonsense and you know it. This job has been filled for a while and it's merely been a case of WHEN he'd take over.

It's delusional to think that they went from ringing Ancelotti last week to getting a six year deal done and dusted with Moyes in a couple of days. These deals have taken place long in the past and don't occur over the course of a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    That's different because loads of journalists were getting reports. Also there was heavy money on Moyes from the weekend. French journalist says he asked Ancelotti to take over. AS say that he asked Mourinho to take over. There are way to many sh1te hacks out there making a living off reporting nonsense.

After 26 years do you believe Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson and David Gill picked up the phone and went through a list of people to sound out the job? Starting with Mourinho or Ancelotti and finally bing stuck with Moyes as a decision of compromise? How likely do you think it is that Manchester United approached Mourinho or Ancelotti in the past week as being suggested? It's a complete load of nonsense and you know it. This job has been filled for a while and it's merely been a case of WHEN he'd take over.

It's delusional to think that they went from ringing Ancelotti last week to getting a six year deal done and dusted with Moyes in a couple of days. These deals have taken place long in the past and don't occur over the course of a week.

A six year deal wouldn't take any longer then a two year deal. These things get done very quickly. Asking Ancelotti and Murinho as first and second choices isn't as surprising as Fergie and everyone at United all 100% thinking Moyes was their man all along. I wouldn't be at all surprised if managers were contacted ahead of Moyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

^^^Hard to see anyone turning down the job imo.

I believe Utd got their man.

The selection of Moyes has Utd written all over it. Especially considering that Alex has had a big say in it, he has always had a long term perspective.

At one point I thought Jose had a great chance of being Fergie's successor but he put himself out of the running on that night in 2011 when he pulled Vilanova's ear.

Not classy and it put a mark on his card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Manuel Pellegrini
    enviro wrote: »
    At one point I thought Jose had a great chance of being Fergie's successor but he put himself out of the running on that night in 2011 when he pulled Vilanova's ear.

Not classy and it put a mark on his card.

Even worse, it was an eye gouge!

mourinho-eye-gouge-o.gif

article-0-0D795BD300000578-549_634x406.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Other
    Gadge wrote: »
    Even worse, it was an eye gouge!

mourinho-eye-gouge-o.gif

article-0-0D795BD300000578-549_634x406.jpg

That guy just stood there....

A six year deal wouldn't take any longer then a two year deal. These things get done very quickly. Asking Ancelotti and Murinho as first and second choices isn't as surprising as Fergie and everyone at United all 100% thinking Moyes was their man all along. I wouldn't be at all surprised if managers were contacted ahead of Moyes.

It's possible but not very likely in the grand scheme if things. I'd say its more likely that if we couldn't get who we wanted then Ferguson would not have retired. It's certainly not plausible that they have been contacted as recently as one week ago. I don't believe either was a candidate for the job. It would appear that this has been agreed for a while but only acted upon in the last week.

Also the length of the deal is irrelevant, the general principle of drawing up the contract is the issue. This has been in the pipeline for a long time IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Jürgen Klopp
    I'd say its more likely that if we couldn't get who we wanted then Ferguson would not have retired. It's certainly not plausible that they have been contacted as recently as one week ago.
    FWIW Mourinho has said that Fergie contacted him telling him the news and they had a chat.

Fergie would have retired anyway. He has it decided since Christmas. He has his wife to think about and he had her and his sons told long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Every manager puts pressure on the refs.

A nothing article with loads of BS about "Fergie Time" when we get only 14seconds more than second placed Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

3 days until Moyes' 6 year deal expires. Does anyone think it might be renewed? :pac:

In all seriousness, this thread is quite an interesting read back all these years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Has he still been getting paid up till now?
    Quite the reread alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

bassy wrote: »
    Thread and replies are total rubbish,you's must not have a lot to be doing with your selves.

But enjoy the rubbish posted.

This was my favourite. Along with the Mourinho shout.

I assume they just paid him off in Bulk? Madness to think the money he got for doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Has he still been getting paid up till now?
    Quite the reread alright!
    This was my favourite. Along with the Mourinho shout.

I assume they just paid him off in Bulk? Madness to think the money he got for doing nothing.

There was a Champions League clause in his contract that allowed United to give him a minimal pay off (1 year I think) when he got sacked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement