Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

El Spearo wrote: »
    Like to honestly thank those who actually gave good responses to my question. Perhaps I've been harsh in my assessment of United players, and maybe over magnanimous in my assessing Fergies input...or a vicious combination of the two. Just trying to use this purgatory United may find themselves in as a moment of unbiased clarity where I can consider some things such as the judgement of players.

I really like Kagawa, and I rate him highly - taking on board his injuries etc, he could indeed be regarded as simply more than talent.
    Evra - Personally dont like him nor do I rate him. Sure the Suarez thing annoyed me, but whoever was right whoever was wrong, Evra also came out looking a pratt. So I'm opening to accepting that he would need to be playing very well to overcome my bias towards disliking him and judging his performances.

Ferdinand I still don't rate very highly. But that said, I've not seen as much as you guys have so I'm willing to take your word on that one.

Interesting to hear a general feeling that United players have been underrated rather than over rated. Interesting thought.

United players always tend to be underrated by fans of other clubs. Ferdinand got into the team of the season btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jürgen Klopp
    CSF wrote: »
    Moyes coming in as assistant definitely seems the most likely announcement.
    It would be an insult for Moyes to take an assistant manager job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    If he retires it would tarnish his legacy as it sounds to me like his is afraid of a rejuvenated Chelsea side under Jose and a city side that will be stronger after the summer. Retiring on a high

In addition he knows he will not win the Champions league with this group of players

I'm tapping my sarcas-o-meter, and it's not budging...which worries me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jürgen Klopp
    If he retires it would tarnish his legacy as it sounds to me like his is afraid of a rejuvenated Chelsea side under Jose and a city side that will be stronger after the summer. Retiring on a high

In addition he knows he will not win the Champions league with this group of players

Rubbish.

Yep, good lad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Where the hell will Darren Ferguson get his players from now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

old news, that Darren ;)
    didn't catch the sarcasm eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Manuel Pellegrini
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Its not on Sky so its not true.

Sky Bet all over it http://www.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/10339618?aff_id=7945&dcmp=snt-bet-FERGIETIMEUP-fb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jürgen Klopp

Interesting to hear a general feeling that United players have been underrated rather than over rated. Interesting thought.

Just to be clear, I don't think that United's players are underrated in the main. However, there are just enough people that make the "average but made good by Fergie" assessment on clearly good players for me to pass comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp

Only chance he'll get managing a top four side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

If he retires it would tarnish his legacy as it sounds to me like his is afraid of a rejuvenated Chelsea side under Jose and a city side that will be stronger after the summer.

Would you give him a break ffs, he's 112 years old and still the best manager by a country mile. Even he can't go on forever

Jürgen Klopp
    sprinkles wrote: »
    didn't catch the sarcasm eh? ;)

Judging by his recent posts, I'm not sure there was any sarcasm.

Jürgen Klopp

To be fair this is not an assistant role like any other. The vacating of the United managerial position has earned being refilled differently to other positions. I would imagine that Moyes taking on the assistant position for a year under Ferguson as one of the greatest votes of confidence that any manager could get. Obviously he would be offered the assistant position and within that contract would be a stipulation stating he is next in line.

To claim being offered that position is an insult is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Where the hell will Darren Ferguson get his players from now?

And Steve Bruce, he'll never strengthen his squad in time for the Premier League season now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp

Indeed, what a ridiculous suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

What a ****e post Ryu.

Jürgen Klopp

Haha, what the actual ****? Actually laughed when I read this. Afraid of this Chelsea side but stayed on when that absolute juggernaut of a Chelsea side with an incredible manager steamrollered everyone to all manner of records. Dearie me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Only chance he'll get managing a top four side.

he has, didnt Everton finish 4th under him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Malkay Mackay 200/1????

Someone tell skybet they left out five zeros.

goodluck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Manuel Pellegrini
    Deank wrote: »

Its not official until Jim White creams his pants live on air.

BJsf51GCMAEuBTe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

DazMarz wrote: »
    It will be weird. It's like the Queen or something. People of a certain age will not know anything different.

I doubt anyone under the age of 30 (born post-1983) will remember any other manager at the helm of United other than Sir Alex.

I may not like his club, but I admire the man as one of the greatest managers of all time.

Yeah, I remember there was uproar when Ron Atkinson was sacked by Man United. I was watching Midweek Sport Special on ITV and they announced at the end almost as an afterthought 'and Ron Atkinson's successor has been appointed, it is Aberdeen Manager Alex Ferguson'. When you think how many Managers all the other clubs have had since then, he seems to have been there forever.

Jürgen Klopp

If I ever witness Jim White creaming himself in any situation I will claw my eyes out and donate them to science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Puyol off to milan in the summer on twitter now, mad night

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Yep, good lad...

Thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread, very enlightening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Manuel Pellegrini
    Haha, what the actual ****? Actually laughed when I read this. Afraid of this Chelsea side but stayed on when that absolute juggernaut of a Chelsea side with an incredible manager steamrollered everyone to all manner of records. Dearie me.....

Damn right, Chelsea absolutely hammered Utd 1-0 there a few days ago, I'd say it's what pushed fergie over the edge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Manuel Pellegrini

Perish the thought, seriously though the club need to come out with a statement rapido either confirming or denying the madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

efb wrote: »
    BJsf51GCMAEuBTe.jpg

Must be true if there is a picture with some writing next to it

Infinitely more enlightening than yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp
    klose wrote: »
    Puyol off to milan in the summer on twitter now, mad night

Barcelona's only decent defender, madness if they let him go.

• Advertisement

Jürgen Klopp

Hey. That was my joke and I used is a couple of pages back...I will sue!

Jürgen Klopp
    Malkay Mackay 200/1????

Someone tell skybet they left out five zeros.

goodluck!!!

Alan Curbishley only 100/1. Coincidence? I think not...

Jürgen Klopp

harsh on the Aussies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Mourinho to United now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Barcelona's only decent defender, madness if they let him go.

No. Just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Mourinho to United now ?

"Mou MU"

When does SSN just loop, and isn't live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

If he's going, it'll be for health reasons surely ? I guess he and his wife have to make a difficult decision as to whether staying on or retiring would be better for his life expectancy. Retirement could kill him in that he has worked all his life.

Jürgen Klopp

It also looks like the editor said "Find me a picture of Fergie looking older than the pyramids and find it fast."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Manuel Pellegrini

He's 71.

After City won the league with their money, Fergie took the challenge and won the title, again.

He didn't retire after the Invincibles won the league or when Mourinho won it twice in a row, he took the challenge and got the titles back...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Manuel Pellegrini
    Hands up if you've just realised there'll be no sleeping tonight as you wait for the story to unfold! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

A Triumvirate of MON, McLeish and Curbishley to take over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Tis grand, only 3.25 in the evening here!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Infinitely more enlightening than yours.

If it makes you sleep at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Alan Curbishley only 100/1. Coincidence? I think not...

In 1997 he was 3rd favourite at 6/1.

Saw it off one the racing post guys who backed him back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jürgen Klopp
    To be fair this is not an assistant role like any other. The vacating of the United managerial position has earned being refilled differently to other positions. I would imagine that Moyes taking on the assistant position for a year under Ferguson as one of the greatest votes of confidence that any manager could get. Obviously he would be offered the assistant position and within that contract would be a stipulation stating he is next in line.

To claim being offered that position is an insult is nonsense.
    I am shocked that you could make such a suggestion as a Liverpool supporter. Do you not know the history of how Bill Shankly was kept out of the club after he retired in order to prevent him from undermining Paisley?

If Moyes is to take the job, just give it to him properly and show him real confidence.

If it makes you sleep at night

I just count sheep premier league titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Manuel Pellegrini
    Mark Hughes being lined up for an emotional return😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Ian McGarry says he's staying, so that's him definitely off so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Manuel Pellegrini
    sprinkles wrote: »
    Tis grand, only 3.25 in the evening here!

Presumably they'll at least wait till the stock exchange closes so as to ensure a lack of panic sells, right? So we could have a few more hours to wait...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement