Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Jürgen Klopp
    Bloody hell. I just came home to all of this. Can't be true can it?
    Don't do it Fergie! Please God not now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Aidric wrote: »
    As the Telegraph article alludes to, any significant information would have to be made public:

"With United now forced to adhere to the strict rules and regulations of the New York Stock Exchange in terms of the release of significant information relating to the running of the club following last August’s partial flotation, any change of management would fall within those requirements."

Fairly sure this is bollix, which may or may not be a sign that the whole article is bollix.
    Clubs listed on stock exchanges have previously changed manager overnight with zero warning, e.g., Tottenham caught us on the hop with the Harry Redknapp one last June.

I doubt the NYSE rules are any different to the LSE (London) rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Hands up if you've just realised there'll be no sleeping tonight as you wait for the story to unfold! :D

I'd say this story has been ready to go towards the end of this season for some time. Winning the league meant it was going to make retirement more probable. Suarez's bite filled the back pages a few weeks ago and now the season it spluttering to a close now that wigan are almost certain to go down. The race for fourth will only distract people for so long. Its funny how this story has only been upgraded from a rumour earlier tonight to a back page headline in the hour or so since its been almost decided that wigan will be relegated; 'swap that GREAT ESCAPE? headline for the back-up 'FERGIE TIME' headline'...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jürgen Klopp
    I am shocked that you could make such a suggestion as a Liverpool supporter. Do you not know the history of how Bill Shankly was kept out of the club after he retired in order to prevent him from undermining Paisley?

If Moyes is to take the job, just give it to him properly and show him real confidence.

Meh, not all situations work out the same. From what I know of the Shankly story, he found it very hard to let go to the point where he was getting snippy about not being brought to away games on the club's dollar after he had retired and was turning up for training at Melwood. There is no suggestion that Ferguson is of a similar character to Shankly in that way, not least because he barely takes training sessions these days anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

8.30 in the morning here. Jesus I'm feeling fierce fluey all of a sudden.

Moyes to take over if it's not all nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I just count sheep premier league titles.

You will be waiting a long time for the next one when Ferguson retires

tumblr_ly5e24bRcD1r3y4i3.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

IvySlayer wrote: »
    He's 71.

After City won the league with their money, Fergie took the challenge and won the title, again.

He didn't retire after the Invincibles won the league or when Mourinho won it twice in a row, he took the challenge and got the titles back...

Exactly, 71...
    Normal retirement age is 65. I'll be happy to be able to take a p.iss at that age, not to mind managing one of the biggest football teams in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You will be waiting a long time for the next one when Ferguson retires

tumblr_ly5e24bRcD1r3y4i3.gif

If we never win another I'll still have been spoiled...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp
    efb wrote: »
    When does SSN just loop, and isn't live?

I just tweeted Hayley McQueen for a pic of her tits...oh and also if she knows anything about these Fergie rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

If he does retire and David Moyes is recruited it will be a grave error in judgement and a monumental f**k up IMO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If Fergie goes who will I have to deeply resent for winning ****ing everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp
    No matter who replaces Ferguson, it will be a downgrade. Mourinho, Klopp, Guardiola, De Boer, all downgrades. I'm no United fan, but the guy is head and shoulders above any other manager I've seen in the 25 or so years I've been watching football.

Jürgen Klopp
    Fairly sure this is bollix, which may or may not be a sign that the whole article is bollix.
    Clubs listed on stock exchanges have previously changed manager overnight with zero warning, e.g., Tottenham caught us on the hop with the Harry Redknapp one last June.

I doubt the NYSE rules are any different to the LSE (London) rules.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge AJ, but in strictly business terms the logic stacks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    I am shocked that you could make such a suggestion as a Liverpool supporter. Do you not know the history of how Bill Shankly was kept out of the club after he retired in order to prevent him from undermining Paisley?

If Moyes is to take the job, just give it to him properly and show him real confidence.

I'm personally shocked that I even see your comments. I ignored you ages ago and you've popped up again. Your talking non-sense again because there are no connections between what you are saying and what I am saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Aidric wrote: »
    I'll bow to your superior knowledge AJ, but in strictly business terms the logic stacks up.

Nah, no superior knowledge really, just guesswork :pac:

Jürgen Klopp
    Exactly, 71...
    Normal retirement age is 65. I'll be happy to be able to take a p.iss at that age, not to mind managing one of the biggest football teams in the world.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, nobody told him he had to be able to take a piss as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Manuel Pellegrini
    Ugh, I was up early this morning so now have a quandry. I'm wrecked and need the sleep. But I don't want to miss anything.

I know that by staying awake, nothing will happen.

I know by going asleep, he'll retire, Jose will be announced to replace and he'll then tell the world he's bringing Ronaldo with him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Manuel Pellegrini
    If Fergie retires, I'll never listen to the Black Eyed Peas ever again! :O :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

No matter who replaces Ferguson, it will be a downgrade. Mourinho, Klopp, Guardiola, De Boer, all downgrades. I'm no United fan, but the guy is head and shoulders above any other manager I've seen in the 25 or so years I've been watching football.

Great manager but I am going to have to stop you there. Mourinho is a downgrade? He's coached in Portugal, England, Italy and Spain and been successful in each country. He's won two Champions League's with two different teams (neither of which had a squad that looked likely to win a Champions League before he was at the club) and has won trophies domestically in each country. Mourinho is never a downgrade.

Guardiola is no downgrade either. Fashioned a new brand of football that has influenced and changed the game. The driving force behind the greatest team of its generation. A great man manager.

There's a case to be made for Klopp too.

I am not having a go at Ferguson, not at all, but a downgrade is the wrong word to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bored now. night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ugh, I was up early this morning so now have a quandry. I'm wrecked and need the sleep. But I don't want to miss anything.

I know that by staying awake, nothing will happen.

I know by going asleep, he'll retire, Jose will be announced to replace and he'll then tell the world he's bringing Ronaldo with him...

Go to bed, nothing's going to happen tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Carlos Queiroz back to United? :o

He is quite old and I would like him to enjoy his retirement; he has certainly deserved it.
    Would be sad to see him go. I love Man United but it will feel so different without him as I'm 25 and he's been the United manager all my life.

Jürgen Klopp
    Great manager but I am going to have to stop you there. Mourinho is a downgrade? He's coached in Portugal, England, Italy and Spain and been successful in each country. He's won two Champions League's with two different teams (neither of which had a squad that looked likely to win a Champions League before he was at the club) and has won trophies domestically in each country. Mourinho is never a downgrade.

Guardiola is no downgrade either. Fashioned a new brand of football that has influenced and changed the game. The driving force behind the greatest team of its generation. A great man manager.

I am not having a go at Ferguson, not at all, but a downgrade is the wrong word to use.

You're talking to United fans mate. Everyone after Ferguson is a downgrade to them and rightly so. It's completely understandable.

Jürgen Klopp
    Nah, no superior knowledge really, just guesswork :pac:

In line with the thread theme then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jürgen Klopp
    El Spearo wrote: »
    I'm personally shocked that I even see your comments. I ignored you ages ago and you've popped up again. Your talking non-sense again because there are no connections between what you are saying and what I am saying.
    You've ignored me, so you're now speaking to me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

You're talking to United fans mate. Everyone after Ferguson is a downgrade to them and rightly so. It's completely understandable.

Fair enough, and perhaps I didn't consider the context. I am just saying that on a general stage, and were it not simply a case of "who can do a better job at Man Utd than Ferguson" then I think both Mourinho and Guardiola are on par with Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Manuel Pellegrini
    10am press conference seems to be doing the rounds on twitter.

Jürgen Klopp
    Have all betting markets been suspended on this? Can't find anything open, if indeed there was anything open. My head hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Jürgen Klopp
    So what do we actually know? Is there definitely a statement going to be made as has been suggested? Club officials are refusing to confirm or deny the rumours.

Why would Utd be announcing a new assistant manager at this time of the season? If Moyes was to become assistant manager as has been suggested, wouldn't they wait until the season is over?!
    If Fergie was going to retire, he really would do it this week wouldn't he? His last Premiership home game being crowned as Champions. It also gives the club plenty of time to suss out replacements.

Worried now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Jürgen Klopp
    You've ignored me, so you're now speaking to me :confused:

maybe it wasn't you i placed in my ignore list.

Manuel Pellegrini
    irishfeen wrote: »
    10am press conference seems to be doing the rounds on twitter.

Saw that, but it looks like one guy said it and everyone retweeted.

I fear that this whole thing is just one guy sitting in a basement laughing away at how a rumour has taken off....

Jürgen Klopp
    Fair enough, and perhaps I didn't consider the context. I am just saying that on a general stage, and were it not simply a case of "who can do a better job at Man Utd than Ferguson" then I think both Mourinho and Guardiola are on par with Ferguson.

Nah, Mourinho maybe if he can settle down and build a dynasty. That's his last goal really. Since his Porto job he has been bankrolled an unholy amount at every club he has been at. Guardiola has years to go yet before he proves himself on that level. Did great stuff with Barca but needs to do more to be considered as one of the greats. People forget that Ferguson did the small club to European and league success thing at Aberdeen. He then rejuvenated an ailing club before consolidating this success over the next 20 years on an unprecedented level. There are very few comparisons, really. Shankly in England, anyway. After that, not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Alan Curbishley only 100/1. Coincidence? I think not...

@TopTopPundit
    Today, Alan 'Curbs' Curbishley will spend 14 hours staring at his Nokia 3210.

It will not ring.

:pac:

Manuel Pellegrini
    Saw that, but it looks like one guy said it and everyone retweeted.

I fear that this whole thing is just one guy sitting in a basement laughing away at how a rumour has taken off....
    I'd actually prefer this to be a sick rumour then to see the boss bow out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jürgen Klopp
    1. Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 1m
      Fairly sure that these aren´t rumours

Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 2m

2. Very close to the anniversary of Gothenburg and I think it´s end of an era for Sir Alex

• Advertisement

Guardiola has no legacy plus had Messi in his team, not to mention Xavi and Iniesta.

Steve Staunton would have won what Pep won with those players.

Manuel Pellegrini
    Can people not post random twitter posts without explaining why I should find them more credible than "littlemisssexxxxxy615124"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Mourinho you can make a (small) case for. Guardiola on a par with Ferguson? GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Jürgen Klopp
    irishfeen wrote: »
    I'd actually prefer this to be a sick rumour then to see the boss bow out.

:confused: I think most people would....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jürgen Klopp
    its makes no sense though since Ferguson was talkin about funds for new players a few days ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I'm off to bed,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jürgen Klopp
    Meh, not all situations work out the same. From what I know of the Shankly story, he found it very hard to let go to the point where he was getting snippy about not being brought to away games on the club's dollar after he had retired and was turning up for training at Melwood. There is no suggestion that Ferguson is of a similar character to Shankly in that way, not least because he barely takes training sessions these days anyway!
    I guarantee you it will affect the players. If you bring in a manager and you subject him to this unusual structure then you're basically saying to the players we don't have full confidence in our manager. With even a slight doubt in the minds of the players, all you'll need is a few bad results then confidence and morale will collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

MD1990 wrote: »

2. Very close to the anniversary of Gothenburg and I think it´s end of an era for Sir Alex

We can relax now. Graham Hunter is a spoofer extrordinaire. He had Ronaldo getting into a taxi to the Bernebeau from the airport in Madrid in July 2008, he gave his personal guarantee of an exclusive on that one. Graham Hunter = pinch of salt.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp

It's more of a compliment to Ferguson than a slight at those other managers.

You maybe have an argument for Mourinho, he is a great manager for sure, but I still disagree that he is nearly as good as Ferguson.

Guardiola did a great job at Barcelona but he also had some of the best players in the history of the game at his disposal. Sure, they've fallen away this season under Vilanova, but the rot started last year while Guardiola was still in charge.

Klopp has done a fine job at Dortmund too, but he has a very long way to go to be considered in the same class as Ferguson.

its makes no sense though since Ferguson was talkin about funds for new players a few days ago

That's coz Moyes will be number 2 and AF will stay on for another bit

Manuel Pellegrini
    IrishIrish wrote: »
    :confused: I think most people would....
    .. a lot of Liverpool fans may see it as a blessing... maybe they might think of buying a few supply's for their old tattered, worn out perch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jürgen Klopp
    From The Telegraphs's Top 10 candidates to replace SAF...
    Mike Phelan
    Current club: Manchester United
    Pros: Will seamlessly carry on Ferguson's style. Has good relationship with the players. Has plenty of practice in front of the media.
    Cons: Unlikely to be a long-term solution. Has never been anything more than an assistant. Frequently wears shorts on touchline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Graham Hunter wouldn't have a breeze about anything going on at Man Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Jürgen Klopp
    That's coz Moyes will be number 2 and AF will stay on for another bit

People believe that's actually going to happen :rolleyes:

Blatter wrote: »
    Graham Hunter wouldn't have a breeze about anything going on at Man Utd.

Wasn't he a Gladiator?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement