Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Guardiola has no legacy plus had Messi in his team, not to mention Xavi and Iniesta.

Steve Staunton would have won what Pep won with those players.

No legacy? Ignorance. A club broken, a club split, a club in trouble at the end of the Rijkaard era. Two camps, Eto'o and Ronaldinho. One Brazilian star who had rejuvenated a club on the brink, now on the brink himself, fading fast but still so symbolic, so popular. A team without direction.

Guardiola, a disciple of Cruyff, a man doing some revolutionary things with the "B" team. A hero of the people. A man with an idea and a belief. A man with principles, with a philosophy forged at La Masia and honed under the tutelage of Cruyff.

The result, the greatest team of their generation. The creation of a new way to win, the rise to greatness of players who may not have been destined for it.

The legacy, the greatest collection of players in the history of Spain. The creation of one of the greatest teams to ever play the game. The change in how we view, analyse and judge the game the world over.

Pep Guardiola, the hero of Catalonia, and, imo, the finest manager on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Lumbo wrote: »
    People believe that's actually going to happen :rolleyes:

Why wouldn't it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jürgen Klopp
    David Moyes is a 50 year old man who has been manager of a PL club for over 10 years, he doesn't need to be a number 2. I doubt that will happen.

I'd love to see him get the job though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

No legacy? Ignorance. A club broken, a club split, a club in trouble at the end of the Rijkaard era. Two camps, Eto'o and Ronaldinho. One Brazilian star who had rejuvenated a club on the brink, now on the brink himself, fading fast but still so symbolic, so popular. A team without direction.

Guardiola, a disciple of Cruyff, a man doing some revolutionary things with the "B" team. A hero of the people. A man with an idea and a belief. A man with principles, with a philosophy forged at La Masia and honed under the tutelage of Cruyff.

The result, the greatest team of their generation. The creation of a new way to win, the rise to greatness of players who may not have been destined for it.

The legacy, the greatest collection of players in the history of Spain. The creation of one of the greatest teams to ever play the game. The change in how we view, analyse and judge the game the world over.

Pep Guardiola, the hero of Catalonia, and, imo, the finest manager on the planet.

Ha ha. You should do Voiceovers for movie trailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jürgen Klopp
    I guarantee you it will affect the players. If you bring in a manager and you subject him to this unusual structure then you're basically saying to the players we don't have full confidence in our manager. With even a slight doubt in the minds of the players, all you'll need is a few bad results then confidence and morale will collapse.

As long as the logic is explained properly, the players will understand. This isn't a normal managerial replacement so normal rules don't apply. In any other position you would probably be right but in this one, I'm not so sure. I genuinely think that Mourinho is the only manager who could come in and get the players onside immediately in the situation you advocate.

As I said, the Shankly situation should be taken in isolation. You could easily point to the likes of the Clough appointment at Leeds to show how replacing a living legend at the club, who all the players respected, without a bedding in period can be a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jürgen Klopp
    Blatter wrote: »
    Graham Hunter wouldn't have a breeze about anything going on at Man Utd.

Probably not. But I expect he knows journalists who do. I doubt he throw up that comment just based a feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Jürgen Klopp
    Why wouldn't it???

:rolleyes:

Really. You need it spelt out to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Trust Andersonisgod to get in a bit of eulogy on something Barca related in a Ferguson retirement rumour thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp
    Oat23 wrote: »
    David Moyes is a 50 year old man who has been manager of a PL club for over 10 years, he doesn't need to be a number 2. I doubt that will happen.

I'd love to see him get the job though.

It would be madness for him to accept an assistant's job. I'd be shocked if he lowered himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Barca talk is for the Barca thread.

Just coz you write lots of rubbish paragraphs, doesn't mean your right.

Pep has an awful lot to prove and anyone with Messi was going to clean up. He's now going to the strongest team in Europe, so again will prob not see he's real worth. And no he doesn't have a legacy built up yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Jürgen Klopp
    Why on earth would they announce that Moyes is going to be assistant manager next year with two games still to play this season?

:rolleyes:

Really. You need it spelt out to you?

Yes, I do??? Enlighten me..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jürgen Klopp
    Pj! wrote: »
    Why on earth would they announce that Moyes is going to be assistant manager next year with two games still to play this season?

If the rumoured press conference does occur tomorrow, it can't involve Moyes surely?

• Advertisement

Jürgen Klopp

Pretty much all of Guardiola's best players were already at the club when he took over. Valdes, Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Pedro etc were all there in 08 when he took over. Whilst it takes a competent manager to break up an old boys clubs and a very good manager to turn it around like Pep did, your praise is over the top.

He has been below standard in the transfer market and his best signings were buying back a couple of Barca youths and buying the league's most consistent goalscorer before Skynet built Ronaldo and Messi. Loads more to go before he is the finest manager on the planet. Anyway, i suspect that you are trolling with your Barca jizzfests and this is OT so I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Probably not. But I expect he knows journalists who do. I doubt he throw up that comment just based a feeling.

If he knew some journalist that knew something, then surely that journalist would have broke the news by now.

There's very few journalists putting their name to this rumour at the minute. Mark Ogden of the Telegraph seems to be main one at the minute and I could pull a few quotes from myself in the past saying how I think he's an awful journalist. He really isn't to be trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jürgen Klopp

The last three paragraphs made me want to vomit, but the first two are spot on.

People forget that the Barcelona team that Guardiola inherited was in a similar state to where the current team is. When he took the axe to Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Deco, he actually came in for a lot of criticism from Barca fans. Of course, Barcelona went on to win the Champions League, so that was forgotten ;)

Jürgen Klopp
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    The Barca talk is for the Barca thread.

Apologies, left the computer down and posted before I'd seen this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Do Barcelona pay you much for doing all their PR?

All of your posts on them sound like they've been written by a committee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Manuel Pellegrini
    Is it true no Man Utd player tweeted all day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

MD1990 wrote: »
    1. Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 1m
      Fairly sure that these aren´t rumours

Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 2m

2. Very close to the anniversary of Gothenburg and I think it´s end of an era for Sir Alex

What Gothenburg anniversary? :confused:

Apologies, left the computer down and posted before I'd seen this.

Yep. Me too. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Jürgen Klopp
    Yes, I do??? Enlighten me..

Moyes was offered the assistant job at United when he was at Preston. He declined the position because he wanted to stay in management. He now has over 10 years managerial experience in a side that regularly finishes in the top 8. Even if its the biggest club in the world, a manager with Moyes experience wouldn't be going anywhere to play second fiddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

IvySlayer wrote: »

I've seen tweets from De Gea and Chico anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Manuel Pellegrini
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    ... Rio Ferdinand tweeted 11 hours ago so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Manuel Pellegrini
    Moyes was offered the assistant job at United when he was at Preston. He declined the position because he wanted to stay in management. He now has over 10 years managerial experience in a side that regularly finishes in the top 8. Even if its the biggest club in the world, a manager with Moyes experience wouldn't be going anywhere to play second fiddle.
    It is different if it is as part of a transition to replacing Ferguson. I doubt Moyes suffers from pride that much as to turn down an opportunity like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jürgen Klopp
    royaler83 wrote: »

CWC with Aberdeen was won in Gothenburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

royaler83 wrote: »

He won the cup winners cup there with Aberdeen, 30 years ago this Saturday

Can't see anything happening till tomorrow. To the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jürgen Klopp
    Hayley McQueen ‏@HayleyMcQueen 3m
    We see what the day holds news wise tomorrow. @SkySportsNews always report facts not rumour so will be doing their best to find out I'm sure

Lol. From the horses mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Jürgen Klopp
    Dan Roan saying he's hearing there'll be an announcement tomorrow morning, possibly before 10am. He's about as reliable as they come so there may well be something to this.

Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Moyes 8/11 mourinho 11/8

Jürgen Klopp

Unless it is under the proviso that he is going to get the job after a year. FWIW, I don't think that this will happen in that way, Fergie felt like the players got the cigars out when he last announced his retirement so I can't see him having some year long, protracted ending at the club. He'll announce one summer and that'll be that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Dan Roan saying he's hearing there'll be an announcement tomorrow morning, possibly before 10am. He's about as reliable as they come so there may well be something to this.

Interesting times ahead.

Fergie is staying and we've signed Ronaldo.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Interesting from Oliver Holt:

"Bit of information re:Moyes. He spent several hours in meetings today poring over Everton transfer targets for next season."

Really, come on, is that your argument?

He wouldn't be going to utd to play second fiddle though would he?
    He would be going to slowly get the reigns handed over to him.

Totally different situation now then leaving Preston for a genuine number 2 spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Jürgen Klopp
    I've always thought that Mourinho didn't really suit United (but admittedly that could well be bollocks). But it is very odd that anyone would prefer David Moyes.

Jürgen Klopp
    **** me if it is true, I hope to **** they replace him with Moyes. Be a huge mistake IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Maybe it's just going to be an apology about homerjay2005's season ticket fiasco, he's getting upgraded at no extra cost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jürgen Klopp
    Joekers wrote: »
    Moyes 8/11 mourinho 11/8

I think Moyes has to be be layed at that sort of price.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Aidric wrote: »
    Lol. From the horses mouth.

If it's too insubstantial for sky to report there can't be anything in it surely :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jürgen Klopp
    It would be amusing if the announcement was that he was going to sign another one year rolling contract and that was it :D

Jürgen Klopp
    Interesting from Oliver Holt:

"Bit of information re:Moyes. He spent several hours in meetings today poring over Everton transfer targets for next season."

Maybe that's what's made him want to be an assistant manager instead. Kenwright has finally broken him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The final game of the season will be Fergie's 1500th in charge of United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Jürgen Klopp
    Moyes has never won at united, city, Chelsea or Liverpool in the league in 10 years and people think he will get the united job? Madness.

Jürgen Klopp
    Pudders wrote: »
    Moyes has never won at united, city, Chelsea or Liverpool in the league in 10 years and people think he will get the united job? Madness.

Likely too good to be true, but at least let us hope! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jürgen Klopp
    I'd love it if this happened, love it.

/Kevin Keegan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Jürgen Klopp
    I think Moyes has to be be layed at that sort of price.

Why? It appears that Mourinho is going back to Chelsea. Klopp is more likely to end up at Madrid if he goes anywhere. Seems to me that Moyes is by far the most likely candidate. The only others I think might be in with any kind of shout off the top of my head are Pellegrini (129/1), Ancelotti (50/1 or 99/1), Redknapp (50/1 or 200/1 on Betfair) and Benitez (no betting offered which seems strange, he's hardly that much of an outsider!). I definitely wouldn't be laying Moyes at 7/4 anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Can anybody see Mourinho being a long term successor to SAF? I dont think he would be where as I think Moyes would. One thing SAF will want after he goes is long term stability

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement