Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie's Retirement Confirmed, Moyes confirmed as Man Utd Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

IF, and it's a big if, it is about Fergie leaving tomorrow - I'd imagine it's a case of us jumping in to get Mourinho. The EGM at Everton along with Moyes contract issues has led an awful lot to believe that's what is happening. But if that was the case, then he wouldn't have drifted out to 8/11 from 1/2 earlier in the day whilst Mourinho has been backed. At a guess, Moyes is staying on at Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

jive wrote: »
    Why? It appears that Mourinho is going back to Chelsea. Klopp is more likely to end up at Madrid if he goes anywhere. Seems to me that Moyes is by far the most likely candidate. The only others I think might be in with any kind of shout off the top of my head are Pellegrini (129/1), Ancelotti (50/1 or 99/1), Redknapp (50/1 or 200/1 on Betfair) and Benitez (no betting offered which seems strange, he's hardly that much of an outsider!). I definitely wouldn't be laying Moyes at 7/4 anyway

You're forgetting the rant he had about Fergie a few years a go.

Not a chance in a million years he'd get offered the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Jürgen Klopp
    Hodgson deserves another shot at club management.

Opr

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jürgen Klopp
    Why? It appears that Mourinho is going back to Chelsea. Klopp is more likely to end up at Madrid if he goes anywhere. Seems to me that Moyes is by far the most likely candidate. The only others I think might be in with any kind of shout off the top of my head are Pellegrini (129/1), Ancelotti (50/1 or 99/1), Redknapp (50/1 or 200/1 on Betfair) and Benitez (no betting offered which seems strange, he's hardly that much of an outsider!). I definitely wouldn't be laying Moyes at 7/4 anyway

It wasn't 7/4, he was odds on.

Are you joking with Redknapp and Benitez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Pudders wrote: »
    Moyes has never won at united, city, Chelsea or Liverpool in the league in 10 years and people think he will get the united job? Madness.

You could teach Moyes about the United philosophy, values, determination etc etc, and let him continue the legacy that Ferguson has built over 25 years.

All the tools are already there for a manager who is smart and wants to learn.

Bring in a big gun and it could destroy what's made utd so successful.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Dortmund has apparently called a press conference for tomorrow at noon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Jürgen Klopp
    Not a chance he'd take it either. (benitez)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jürgen Klopp
    Blatter wrote: »

It's more strange that anyone would think that Benitez has any sort of a chance. The man was hated at Chelsea who had no rivalry with Liverpool so imagine what it would be like at United. Pretty much anybody who has ever managed Liverpool should logically have no betting market.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jürgen Klopp
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Any indication of why? Would you be able to hazard a guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The truth is out,we are signing Lewandowski & Gundongan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jürgen Klopp
    Oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Jürgen Klopp

If either of those two get the job I'll eat my own head.

Duncan Castles
    Senior Manchester United players have been surprised by reports that Sir Alex Ferguson is prepapring to leave Old Trafford at the end of this season. While United players have been made aware that Ferguson will be forced to miss some matches because of scheduled hip surgery, there has been no mention that he is leaving the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Joekers wrote: »
    Can anybody see Mourinho being a long term successor to SAF? I dont think he would be where as I think Moyes would. One thing SAF will want after he goes is long term stability

Tbh I don't think it matters too much what Fergie wants, with the club still in debt for a few more years I think the owners will want a proven successor and not a gamble like Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Jürgen Klopp

If there were something going on with Klopp to United, you'd think they'd wait until after the Champs League final to announce it, and you'd think United would afford them that respect too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jürgen Klopp
    zerks wrote: »
    The truth is out,we are signing Lewandowski & Gundongan.

This could be closer to the truth. Most likely a signing. Would actually love if it was a huge signing that nobody got wind of this evening. Put the twitterati back in their box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pj! wrote: »
    hmmm, I'm conflicted now, because that is something that I would like to see...

Pj! wrote: »

That's impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Manuel Pellegrini
    Has there actually been confirmation of a presser tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Yes, limerick FC at 11am

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Oat23 wrote: »
    Oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

United want Fink my sources are telling me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Other
    "I'm Iron Man." - Sir Alex Ferguson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Jürgen Klopp
    Talksport live discussion on it now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Manuel Pellegrini
    Bale to Inter maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would be amazed if he goes now, but then again he is 71 and he's just won the league.
    Good time to go and short notice won't affect team morale.

Even as an LFC fan, I have great respect for him and his achievements.

Would miss his interviews and sometimes frank press conferences.

Also enjoyed his touchline flaps.

No idea who could replace him. Moyes hasn't achieved enough in my opinion and Mourinho is too flighty for the job.

Just think Fergie is almost irreplaceable. Wonder if they'd surprise everyone and promote from within like LFC in the 70s and 80s.

• Advertisement

Jürgen Klopp
    Pudsy33 wrote: »

The story goes that the players and coaches were playing golf today and word spread among them to expect an announcement on the manager's future on Sunday.
    With most of the main papers leading with Fergie retiring rumours tomorrow, apparently the NYSE will be requiring immediate confirmation over these rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Jürgen Klopp

His rant about Chelsea fans didn't stop him getting the Chelsea job though :P I don't think he'll get offered the job, it is surprising that there are no odds offered for him anywhere that I can see though... there's odds for David O'Leary... DAVID O'LEARY!! As I said, I think Moyes will get the job because he has a good image, is a good manager and is loyal. I'm sure nobody would mind if he brought Fellaini with him too to curb United's central midfield weakness.

It wasn't 7/4, he was odds on.

You couldn't lay him at odds on, you could back him at odds on. You can only lay him at 7/4. I don't know where you think you could lay him at odds on because you can't.

No, I never said I thought they'd get the job. I said there the only other ones off the top of my head in with a shout. Who else is there with a realistic shout of landing the United job? I reckon it's definitely Moyes (if anyone) because from what I've read and heard Mou is heading to the Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Some crack if Jose ends up at Utd and he tells Chelsea to do one.

Jürgen Klopp
    Some crack if Jose ends up at Utd and he tells Chelsea to do one.

Roman would start ****ting even more grotesque amounts of money then just to try to do United over hahahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jürgen Klopp
    United want Fink my sources are telling me now.

I think he are Ferguson are besties since Basel played them in the CL. Seems legit.

• Advertisement

His rant about Chelsea fans didn't stop him getting the Chelsea job though :P

Hardly comparable :P I think there's doubts as to how legit Benitez' quotes on Chelsea fans were anyway.

Just layed Mourinho @ 2.72 to be next manager, think that's far too short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

miralize wrote: »
    "I'm Iron Man." - Sir Alex Ferguson

When i tuned in they were asking some lad how his night went out and there was a newcastle fan acting like a child :pac:

Jürgen Klopp
    Hardly comparable :P I think there's doubts as to how legit Benitez' quotes on Chelsea fans were anyway.

Agreed, all things point to a Chelsea return for him.

Jürgen Klopp
    klose wrote: »
    When i tuned in they were asking some lad how his night went out and there was a newcastle fan acting like a child :pac:

You tuned it at the worst possible part I'll be honest, that was a farce! They had Bosnich on beforehand speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Silly move. Fergie will outlast Betfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Manuel Pellegrini
    klose wrote: »

I love Talksport, it can be so random!

.I'm not sure how I feel about these rumours, he became manager 4 years before I was born, so I'm kinda scared of any changes. On the other hand, it has to happen eventually.

I'd love to see Mourinho at united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Is he gone yet?

Jürgen Klopp
    efb wrote: »
    Is he gone yet?

Just nodded off a few minutes ago, sleeping like a baby now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Fergie from two days ago:

"Whether I will be here to oversee another decade of success remains to be seen, but I certainly don't have any plans at the moment to walk away from what I believe will be something special and worth being around to see."

It could well be a signing, a sponsor sign up or an extra bit of help whilst he's out with the op like Walter Smith did when he came in after Quieroz. But much ado about nothing.. I've convinced myself now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Jürgen Klopp
    Pudders wrote: »
    Moyes has never won at united, city, Chelsea or Liverpool in the league in 10 years and people think he will get the united job? Madness.

Moyes has won 4 league games at Manchester City as Everton manager.

• Advertisement

Jürgen Klopp
    Fergie from two days ago:

"Whether I will be here to oversee another decade of success remains to be seen, but I certainly don't have any plans at the moment to walk away from what I believe will be something special and worth being around to see."

It could well be a signing, a sponsor sign up or an extra bit of help whilst he's out with the op like Walter Smith did when he came in after Quieroz. But much ado about nothing.. I've convinced myself now!

Whenever he does go, it is very likely to come out of the blue like this. It's not something that can be released or hinted at unofficially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Fast forward to 3.30 and change the paper headline to the same as this topic and it will be the reaction of every United fan tomorrow if it turns out to be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Jürgen Klopp
    I'd say it will be weird for United fans to even contemplate life without Fergie as for a lot of them he's the only manager they've ever known, can anyone even remember Ron Atkinson?

As a Liverpool fan looking in I'm suprised to see Moyes so heavily linked with the job as he has had no trophy winning success, little or no games at European level and his Everton team play a bit more direct then the finesse they would expect at United. I remember not so long ago every United fan going was lining up either Martin O'Neill or Roy Keane for the job.

Anyway I was looking at odds for the next manager and Moyes is the way out favourite, but there's a certain Champions League winning manager with domestic titles under his belt, plus a UEFA Cup (possibly two next week), big club experience and excellent record in Europe who is shortly leaving his present employment and will be returning to his home in the north west not far from Manchester whom I can't find in the list offered on odds.. I wonder why that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Dotsey wrote: »
    Anyway I was looking at odds for the next manager and Moyes is the way out favourite, but there's a certain Champions League winning manager with domestic titles under his belt, plus a UEFA Cup (possibly two next week), big club experience and excellent record in Europe who is shortly leaving his present employment and will be returning to his home in the north west not far from Manchester whom I can't find in the list offered on odds.. I wonder why that is?

Because he's had 4 biggish jobs and has made a mess of one and done a questionable job with two of the others. That's not United standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Could this be anything to do with his upcoming surgery? Not saying the guy is in ill health, but maybe he has concerns that after the surgery fulfilling the job of manager might be an ask too far. (Though it seems sort of surreal suggesting anything is beyond Sir Alex.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

wrong thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Manuel Pellegrini
    Sky News are rolling with it now :(

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Sky News are rolling with it now

In what way?

Are they just reporting the reports or are they saying something themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

or are they saying something themselves?

Ahahahahaahaaaaaaaa
    Sky news original reporting? As rare as a habitual planet for humans and reliability goes out the window to another galaxy.
    (Reliability stays in the solar system for unadapted stories.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement