Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Freebies and Trades (trade steam, origin, etc. keys here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

still think my idea of renaming it something else particularly ás gaeilge would help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Skerries wrote: »
    still think my idea of renaming it something else particularly ás gaeilge would help

That wouldn't do much tbh, they will still just redeem any codes they see regardless of what the game is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sorry for being so naive but I don't really use this thread, hadn't occured to me that someone would go to that much effort or that it was so well publicized as a source for free keys. I'll know better next time, and there will be a next time, as with those bundles, I only ever want a game or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Tinie wrote: »
    That wouldn't do much tbh, they will still just redeem any codes they see regardless of what the game is.

But it would stop the thread showing up in a google search if the title was in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Renaming it wont really work as google uses key words and im sure the words steam and key appear in almost every post. Thats what draws people to the site, not the name of the title.

Its unfortunate but the only thing that can be done is rely on posters to not advertise the keys and just use pms for them.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    But it would stop the thread showing up in a google search if the title was in Irish.

Afraid it wouldnt, they look for key words, not the title of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Digitalism wrote: »
    I'll bet my bottom dollar that the lurker who got all these will never play them, they just had to redeem them. Cheers for the giveaway, but guys, I thought people knew better than to publicly just post keys like that here. This thread is monitored now by lurkers all around the world. Its on the first few pages of google results for steam freebies.

it's actually the very first result lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've a suggestion.

Rename this thread "Pineapples" or something else nonsensical. That way it'll be less likely to appear on google searches for free games.

Or even just gobbledigook like "2-4958-w49tjg089qu43069ij".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Gbear wrote: »
    I've a suggestion.

Rename this thread "Pineapples" or something else nonsensical. That way it'll be less likely to appear on google searches for free games.

Or even just gobbledigook like "2-4958-w49tjg089qu43069ij".

You can rename it to pumpernickle microwave baloney if you want to, it will still appear very high in the results due to the way Google works.

Keywords such as 'Steam' 'Key' 'Free' 'Freebie' etc. all appear frequently throughout the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Change the title to free steamed pineapples and it might make them think its not what they are looking for when they see it in google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Danger781 wrote: »
    You can rename it to pumpernickle microwave baloney if you want to, it will still appear very high in the results due to the way Google works.

Keywords such as 'Steam' 'Key' 'Free' 'Freebie' etc. all appear frequently throughout the thread.

Then we just start using code words for everything. :)

Game = Spoon
    Freebie = very expensive thing (that'll drive them away)
    Steam = Vapour
    Key = ape

"Hey I've got 6 vapour apes. They're very expensive. PM me for 1 of these spoons."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Gbear wrote: »
    "Hey I've got 6 vapour apes. They're very expensive. PM me for 1 of these spoons."

Yes, and people will absolutely speak in nonsense code, whereas the majority have been unable to follow fairly straightforward suggestions in the past.

Not trying to be smart here folks, but I've been reading this topic since its beginning and it should really be renamed:

"People endlessly and uselessly discuss the best way to decide rules on how to give away codes; while making sure to draw as much attention as possible to people who do not meet their criteria for these codes. Also sometimes there are codes."

I offer new very simple suggestions (not rules):
    • Offer codes in posts, GIVE codes in PMs

• Be aware if you post codes directly in the thread, bots will steal them in about two seconds.

• If someone does not meet your personal criteria for getting a code, ignore their post. Do not: Quote it, Post amusing pictures deriding them, or 'like' the posts mocking them. Just let it go, and move on.

Every single bump to this topic that is trying to refine the idea or rules down more than this kills me a little inside. Tricking Google with Pineapples? Really guys? Really?

And yes, I am aware of the hypocritical irony that with this post, I have become everything that I revile...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I reckon we disregard all of the good sense mentioned about and hereby refer to code freebies as kumquats for jellybabies. Who's with me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is it safe to send them via PM? If so, why not just do that?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Here's the simplest and best way to do it.

Hi,

I have the following codes for trade or to give away.

(list games here)

Quote the post with the game you want and if I like you I'll pm you the code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Why not just have the thread renamed from:

to:

Game Keys - Freebies and Trades (DO NOT POST CODES IN THREAD)

Then, users can advertise the codes they have, people can quote that post requesting the game, & the deal is done via pm. Leeches should be completely ignored, as engaging them just helps their postcount, & that way things should be easier to handle?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Why not just have the thread renamed from:

to:

Game Keys - Freebies and Trades (DO NOT POST CODES IN THREAD)

Then, users can advertise the codes they have, people can quote that post requesting the game, & the deal is done via pm. Leeches should be completely ignored, as engaging them just helps their postcount, & that way things should be easier to handle?

That actuallly makes sence. Might help remind people. there will be a few mishaps but not as many hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Agreed. They only thing that needs to change is making new posters more aware of the fact that if they post codes, they will be taken and probably not by a regular boards user.
    Changing the title of the thread is the best thing to do.

Yes to anybody other than sulc83.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Because then you have to actually hand out every key.

It's so much easier to just post them up and let anyone who wants them to have at them.

• Advertisement

It's so much easier to just post them up and let anyone who wants them to have at them.

Have you not been reading the thread? When somebody does that they get instaredeemed by bots combing the Internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's a pitiful excuse. It doesn't take long to copy & paste a key into a PM.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Any codes posted are as useless as a wet sandwich.

Instantly gone to code farmers who sell accounts with games installed on them. Not available for even a second after you post them. INSTANTLY gone.

If you want to actually be generous to fellow boardzees, you'd go the PM route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If you've a big list of games & don't want to farm out the keys over pm, I suppose it's understandable. Some people just don't want the hassle. Though I will stress that I agree with previous posters, you may as well be throwing said keys in the bin, as boards members will likely lose out if they are posted publicly.

One possibility, is if you have a big list of keys, that you state the it's all or nothing. Whoever quotes the post gets all of the keys, & it becomes their responsibility to farm out any of the keys they don't want? A little unfair perhaps, but certainly better than bots harvesting up all the keys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

One way which the people on neogaf use to avoid bots/lurkers farming up the codes instantly, as you need an account to see them, is to use the EMAIL function in your post.

I.E. type [EMAIL="CODE_HERE"][/ EMAIL]

Now remove the space from the second email function, and you'll get this, quote this post to see it.

[/email][EMAIL="CODE_HERE"][/EMAIL]

It could be a handy middle ground for not having to use PMs, but also stopping bots/lurkers from snapping up keys instantly, but then again they can just create an account in 2 mins on this site, unlike neogaf, but its another option.

How about a shared Google Doc? People add keys to the list as they have them, then cross them out when they've redeemed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Achilles wrote: »
    Have you not been reading the thread? When somebody does that they get instaredeemed by bots combing the Internet.

Have you? I've been posting here for ages.
    That's a pitiful excuse. It doesn't take long to copy & paste a key into a PM.

Look at TerrorFirmers post. Would you want to sort through all the PM's that he would have got, find a suitable person for each key then reply with each key?

Have you? I've been posting here for ages.

Look at TerrorFirmers post. Would you want to sort through all the PM's that he would have got, find a suitable person for each key then reply with each key?

No... and I wouldn't have to do that if somebody was following the original rules in the first place.

First person to quote the thread gets the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

[EMAIL="Does this work?"]Does this email tag work?[/EMAIL]

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

I think the email tag that tinie showed could work well providing people stick with it.

Advertisement