Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best poop bags for dog poop

• 07-05-2013 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all

Hoping some of you lovely people might offer me some help/advice on this one.

I've just come back from training with my guide dog. When I was at guide dogs, they used biodegradable poop bags. These had no handles, were quite thick, and once you tied a knott in them, there was no oder which was great. I am using nappy sacks at the moment. I'm not really happy with them though, as even when I knott the handles there is still an oder, and they are not really thick enough either.
    so what do all you lovely dog owners on boards use? We are leash relieving and as I can't see pooper scooping is not really an option which is why a good thick bag is essential. I don't want a big bag, just something that is thick and that there will be no oder from once I've tied a not in it, which I have no bother doing.
    Thanks and hope for recommendations sooner rather than later :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I don't know the alternative TBH. We keep nappy sacks in the car, which I agree isn't the best way, but at least we're able to clean up. When I go home to London, I get the biodegradable sacks which are nice and strong, and don't have any odour when tied up.

We've run out of those now (until I get home!), so we now have dog bags from Cork CC. They're free on production of a valid dog licence. I've not used them yet, but they do seem flimsier than the London ones. So I'm not able to comment.

The reason why I say this is to ask maybe you can ask your local council whether they have a similar scheme? Might be better quality than the nappy sacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I use Aldi food/freezer bags with tie handles. They are good and strong. I have cockers and stools wouldn't be very big.

There is a discussuion here about bags with some ideas:
    http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/board/topic/140200.html

kylith wrote: »
    I use these. They're biodegradable, nice and thick, and have handles.

I might switch to those myself - seems to be cheaper than the Aldi ones + biodegradable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Tesco have black biodegradables, 60 for about €1.60 in their pet section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Snap we use the same ones!! I was delighted with myself last year going to the parcel motel to get my parcel of poo bags :p

tk123 wrote: »
    Snap we use the same ones!! I was delighted with myself last year going to the parcel motel to get my parcel of poo bags :p

Just wondering did you order 500 bags with Parcel Motel?

Do you think the 1000 bags would fit in one of the Parcel Motel's locker's?

paultf wrote: »
    Just wondering did you order 500 bags with Parcel Motel?

Do you think the 1000 bags would fit in one of the Parcel Motel's locker's?

I got 1000 and the package was in one of the smaller lockers - they come in one of those strong plastic envelopes so not bulky at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I use the same ones as kylith and tk123 and they're great, worth the money and trip to Parcel Motel.

I struggled with nappy bags for a while, but they're just too thin. I tie the bag to the dogs' harnesses after I've picked up after them* so they carry their poo instead of me, and the nappy bags were constantly splitting and leaking even double or triple bagged. I've tried the cheapie euro shop ones too and I found that the poo sort of leeched through the bag. Ew. :mad: I've had none of those problems with the ones from Amazon.

I often have to take the poo bag home with me in the car if there's no bin, and I can't say I've ever noticed a smell.

*I can't take credit for this idea, I stole the idea from another poster on here whose name I can't remember.

I didn't have to go to a Parcel Motel to get mine at all. Maybe I got the same bags from another seller on Amazon.

• Advertisement

I didn't have to go to a Parcel Motel to get mine at all. Maybe I got the same bags from another seller on Amazon.

I got mine from Scott's Petshop on Amazon - free postage to the uk (ie parcel motel) or £9.50 to Ireland - so €3.50 to Parcel Motel or free if you're signing up for the first time since you get a few stays free. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭nc6000

paultf wrote: »
    I use Aldi food/freezer bags with tie handles. They are good and strong. I have cockers and stools wouldn't be very big.

There is a discussuion here about bags with some ideas:
    http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/board/topic/140200.html

I use sandwich bags from Lidl. About €1.50 for a roll of 100.

tk123 wrote: »
    I got mine from Scott's Petshop on Amazon - free postage to the uk (ie parcel motel) or £9.50 to Ireland - so €3.50 to Parcel Motel or free if you're signing up for the first time since you get a few stays free. :cool:

Ah, that'd probably be it. i think Himself has a few free parcel motel stays, so I'll use that next time. It won't be for a while though; I bought 1000 of the things and they're sitting in a box under my desk in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Hi all

Just an update, even though I know it's been a while, for anyone who's interested.
    Wanted to say a huge thanks to kylith and tk123. Got my poop bags from amazon a few weeks ago now. Absolutely fabulous!!!!
    Cyril, that's my dog's name, has now taken to mostly only doing one, big poop a day now. These bags are more than up to the task, have never leaked and are great for tying up as well.
    Thanks so much guys!!!!
    :)

afterglow wrote: »
    Hi all

Just an update, even though I know it's been a while, for anyone who's interested.
    Wanted to say a huge thanks to kylith and tk123. Got my poop bags from amazon a few weeks ago now. Absolutely fabulous!!!!
    Cyril, that's my dog's name, has now taken to mostly only doing one, big poop a day now. These bags are more than up to the task, have never leaked and are great for tying up as well.
    Thanks so much guys!!!!
    :)

The things that we get excited about when we have dogs lol! :P:P

Advertisement