Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to buy with 5k

Options
  • 07-05-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

I just arrived in Ireland and thinking of buying a used car. Can anyone give me some advice on what to buy with 4-5k?

I will use it mainly to go to work (8km per day) and some family weekend breaks.

I have seen some 2004 Grand Scenics, some Peugeots 207's, Citroen C4's... any tips? If you have some tips about dealers in Swords, Dublin 9, let me know!

Many Thanks,
    Ygor
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does it have to be French?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ygorcardoso

No, absolutely not, I was just talking about some of the ones I saw and look good. Any nationality fits!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Octavia (default choice here) or a Focus.

p.s. I'd spend it on a kick ass week in Las Vegas.

So many to choose!

What cars do you like?
    How big a car do you need?
    Any features you have to have?

I don't need a very big car, but one that can handle my baby girl car seat comfortably. For that reason, 5 doors and air conditioner are also desirable. Other than that, no need for any more special features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd start getting insurance prices on a few examples first. Insurance is expensive in this country and alot of people choose a car based on what they can afford to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Welcome to Ireland! How about a diesel 307? 1.6 and reliable if looked after.

Zcott wrote: »

He does 8km per day

Didn't the engine go in yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Zcott wrote: »

god no, no:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Octavia (default choice here) or a Focus.

Thanks, the Focus look good, but more close to 6k.

p.s. I'd spend it on a kick ass week in Las Vegas.

Haha, I wish :)

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd start getting insurance prices on a few examples first. Insurance is expensive in this country and alot of people choose a car based on what they can afford to insure.

Nice tip, thanks. It's a shame almost every insurance site asks me for phone and email to generate a quote!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    god no, no:rolleyes:

Hi MidlandsM, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Would you not be worried about a car with 5 owners and only 120k on clock??

Masala wrote: »

Would you not be worried about a car with 5 owners and only 120k on clock??
    id be more worried if it said it had one lady driver. obviously no one is going to buy a car without doing some checks. advert says fsh. worth checking out is all im saying. would be more constructive if you answered the ops question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

would be more constructive if you answered the ops question

It was just an observation....am sure that the OP could have made the same observation if he felt like it. But wont have to now - cos I just did it for him/her!

Masala wrote: »
    It was just an observation....am sure that the OP could have made the same observation if he felt like it. But wont have to now - cos I just did it for him/her!

would you prefer the advert was dishonest and said only one careful driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He does 8km per day

Didn't the engine go in yours?

It did have a minor* issue after 150,000 miles...

*stopped working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Report such posts pls instead of responding. Posts deleted, thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement