Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get rid of unwanted gas cylinders

Options
  • 07-05-2013 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

I have a few unwanted/unused Calor gas cylinders. Will any stockist just take these back or do I need to be paying for a refill?

Or is there anywhere else in Kildare I can get rid of them (legally...)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll likely find someone willing to pay a fiver on donedeal rather than paying the €30 or whatever it is now deposit for one - seeing as you can't get a refill without a tank and people may want to be able to keep a spare.

Otherwise, ask a retailer and they may be willing to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Your local shop will buy them in a heart beat if its to much effort leave them outside your gate tonight they'll be gone by sun up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'll take 2 off your hands straight away (Maynooth too). We use them in the scouts and it would be handy to have a couple of spares rather than pay the extra €40 for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

valerossi wrote: »
    Your local shop will buy them in a heart beat if its to much effort leave them outside your gate tonight they'll be gone by sun up.

lol, no effort, but I'd be afraid someone would 'misuse them'
    Orion wrote:
    I'll take 2 off your hands straight away (Maynooth too). We use them in the scouts and it would be handy to have a couple of spares rather than pay the extra €40 for a new one.

Sold! (for free). PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

I personally would have called Calor and told them to take them, they will refuse, you tell them they are in the garden, if they are not gone by X date, you shall bring them to the calor office and dump them outside.

Worked for me, they were collected the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Karlitto wrote: »
    I personally would have called Calor and told them to take them, they will refuse, you tell them they are in the garden, if they are not gone by X date, you shall bring them to the calor office and dump them outside.

Worked for me, they were collected the next day.

They didn't dump them on you in the first place, why the threat?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thanks for the canisters Redsoxfan. Much appreciated. Sorry I had to send the missus up to collect them and missed thanking you in person - was at a scout meeting for our county shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Orion wrote: »
    Thanks for the canisters Redsoxfan. Much appreciated. Sorry I had to send the missus up to collect them and missed thanking you in person - was at a scout meeting for our county shield.

You're very welcome and don't worry about sending the missus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

This thread just got very Curious!!!

Possible code names??

Gas cylinders
    Missus
    Swinging
    ???
    Profit

:confused:

Joe Public wrote: »
    They didn't dump them on you in the first place, why the threat?:confused:

The reason being, they are Calor gas tanks, once finished with use they are obliged to collect them. If they don't that's why.

• Advertisement

Calor Gas may own the cylinders but there is no onus on them to collect empties from houses. If you go to purchase gas with no empties then you have to pay extra to get a loan ( maybe it should be called a deposit ) of the cylinders so you should really be able to bring them back to shops and get back the original extra charge back, once you are finished with them. Has anyone ever heard of someone who has managed to get their original "deposit" on cylinders back?

Calor Gas may own the cylinders but there is no onus on them to collect empties from houses. If you go to purchase gas with no empties then you have to pay extra to get a loan ( maybe it should be called a deposit ) of the cylinders so you should really be able to bring them back to shops and get back the original extra charge back, once you are finished with them. Has anyone ever heard of someone who has managed to get their original "deposit" on cylinders back?

Sorry, I am not talking about the little yellow ones you would get at a garage or anything (however, they do take the empties when you buy new ones)

I am talking about the large (usually ret) ones, that are about 4-5 foot tall, for the likes of a house fire or cooker which are usually stored outside.

If you changed from gas to electricity or something like that, they absolutely do have an obligation to take back the old ones. Not only that, but they have an obligation to disconnect them rather than an ordinary Jo soap.

I think the thread is about the usual size cylinders you see on sale in garages and fuel shops but no harm in knowing about the big ones as well. Good to hear they have a new home now.

I think the thread is about the usual size cylinders you see on sale in garages and fuel shops but no harm in knowing about the big ones as well. Good to hear they have a new home now.

Indeedy! Yea, my bad. But yep, the big ones, calor or whatever company are required to come disconnect and remove em.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Has anyone ever heard of someone who has managed to get their original "deposit" on cylinders back?

I was successful in B&Q. However, I had got it from them in the first place and received a proper deposit receipt at the time. So it does work in theory.

Heard plenty of point-blank refusal to accept cylinders in many places (small shops & garages). They seem to assume the cylinders are stolen. It would help if Calor had all agents issue proper Calor-branded deposit receipts. The "ah sure, bring it back whenever you're done, and you'll get your money back" approach of small, isolated agents doesn't scale!

cgarvey wrote: »
    I was successful in B&Q. However, I had got it from them in the first place and received a proper deposit receipt at the time. So it does work in theory.

Heard plenty of point-blank refusal to accept cylinders in many places (small shops & garages). They seem to assume the cylinders are stolen. It would help if Calor had all agents issue proper Calor-branded deposit receipts. The "ah sure, bring it back whenever you're done, and you'll get your money back" approach of small, isolated agents doesn't scale!

Yes, I agree that the gas cylinder suppliers should get their agents to issue proper receipts for provision of cylinders without returns.
    It's a pity the cash for gold shops are not fussy where the goods come from but that another thread completely.

When it was easy to get the deposit refunded, cylinders were being stolen left right and centre. Parents used to have theirs chained together and still woke up one night to hear someone clanking away trying to steal three empties at once.

Still leave my spare locked inside until I get a locked shed. Just need the oil boiler to pack in to justify mains gas instead.

Come to think of it I now remember there was a time when empty gas cylinders used to go missing but I didn't realise that the agents were handing out money for them with no questions ( cash for gold scenario again ).

Some people might remember the time when you got money back on glass bottles from many shops, usually 2 or 3 pence per bottle. Should have kept that one going!

Still done in Scotland!

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/irn-bru-bottle-deposit-rises-to-30p-1.960603

And Copenhagen Airport charges .50kr for a plastic bottle but fecked if I could see where to return the buggers.

Advertisement