Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating a tenancy

Options
  • 07-05-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

You can legally terminate a tenancy if you change the business use of the property. If you rent by the room but now want to let the whole property, is that covered under business use...I assume not but maybe im wrong...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No, I would think something much more fundamental would be required - changing the property to offices / retail or at minimum a B&B or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

need more clarification for the situation. When you say you are renting by the room is there separate leases dawn up for the tenants ? Is there one lease and its a case of a tenant subletting etc ?

I ask because renting by the room is a grey area as to weather it is actually covered by Part 4 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kranky

Three seperate leases drawn up. I did it that way as there was more demand for renting a room and I really needed the money for the mortgage. Even though its so much hassle.....what do you mean by part 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

D3PO wrote: »
    need more clarification for the situation. When you say you are renting by the room is there separate leases dawn up for the tenants ? Is there one lease and its a case of a tenant subletting etc ?

I ask because renting by the room is a grey area as to weather it is actually covered by Part 4 at all.
    Nothing grey about the area at all.

A tenant with a lease for a bedroom and shared facilities has exclusive use of the property with the other tenants who have a similar lease.

Thus the landlord cannot enter the property.

As regards the OP original question, I would agree with Victor's post. Changing from renting individual rooms to renting the property as a single unit is not changing the use of the property - just a different renting arrangement but still renting.

A Part 4 tenancy is basically the type of tenancy lease that a tenant would have if they did not have a current Fixed term tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I really hope that as a landlord you are not asking what a part 4 tenancy means...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If the property is being refurbished for this purpose you can terminate the tenants if under section 4.

Refurbish doesn't have a definition.

However a private lease does not have the break clause so you cannot. There is nothing stopping you asking.

Advertisement