Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warne Maxima QR rings

Options
  • 08-05-2013 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    Looking for opinions on the above rings, how do they rate?
    Putting a rail on my rifle and I'm looking for a set of QR rings and these are at hand. Ideally I'd like a set of Nightforce rings but may be a bit expensive.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Had one set of them in my life. It was on a Steyr. They worked, and held perfectly so from that point no complaints. I changed them to a set of permanently attached for no other reason than i have no need for QR. Once the scope was mounted that was it.

A couple of issues i have with Warne as i've had a few sets over the years (not QR). The vertical split makes them a pain in the ass to mount. Not such a big problem with the QR version. The recoil lug in them is sometimes not quite right. By that i it can sometimes be too small or big. I've had them fall out on me when loosening the rings resulting in a hands and knee search for it.

Once, on the range, i had a lad that could not get the rifle/scope zeroed. I took it apart, and tired the scope in my rings on my rifle. No bother so not the scope. Turned my attention to the rings, but could not figure out the problem until i tried screwing the ring together (while off the rifle), and i noticed the recoil lug was fractionally too big, and not allowing the two pieces to completely join. Result was it allowed a tiny bit of movement with each firing of the rifle. A slight filing of the recoil lug, and the problem was solved.

I know all products can have their problems, and Warne for the most part are a good and reliable brand, but they do sometimes have imperfections. This goes for their picatinny rails too. Won't go into that now.

All in all a good product. I'd just make sure everything is 100%. If so you'll not have a problem. I'd also ask yourself do you need QR. Will you be changing the scope to other rifles often or at all to warrant them. If not go for a set of permanently attached or go the extra bit, and get the Nightforce. They retail around €150. They have a 13mm nut on the side so act similar to the Warne QR but are more precise, and hold better (IMO).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

So you'd say they're good but there's better out there.
    I don't intend swapping the scope between rifles so I don't necessarily need them to be quick release, its more for giving a thorough clean every so often.

So if I go permanently attached I don't think I'll use Warne, I don't particularly like vertical split rings. Maybe something like Third Eye or the aforementioned Nightforce

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yes.

If the QR feature is not going to be used then go for permanently attached. I'd much prefer to save up a few quid, and buy right the first time.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

For the occasions I'll be taking off the scope the rifle will be in the vice and the tools at hand so quick release isn't really necessary. A good set of permanently fixed rings that won't lose zero will do just fine. I'll be looking out for a pair of Third Eye Tactical or Nightforce rings so.

Thanks for the advice

Advertisement